Geocaching4Locus - version 2.0.3

Started by Martin Sloup, May 02, 2011, 15:58:22

fencepost

Love this add-on!  Thanks very much for developing it.

How difficult would it be to program the app to connect to information on http://www.waymarking.com/ (Affiliated with geocaching.com) and/or http://www.opencaching.com/  Certainly neither are a neccesity....but if you so chose to do that, I'd certainly send you a donation.  :D

Thanks again.  Art
  •  

dibrial

Hi Arcoa,

Is it possible to use the add-on to update a single already downloaded cache?
Especially with some older imported caches, I would like to read trough the updated logs.

Best regards,

Dibrial
  •  

vtgeopirates

Yes. I agree with Dibial. Logs and cache status should  be updated and not duplicated when you import  again.
Great tool.
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "vtgeopirates"Yes. I agree with Dibial. Logs and cache status should  be updated and not duplicated when you import  again.
Great tool.
I'm hoping when Menion finishes his evaluation with GC.com with their API this will be how the behavior works...
  •  

wvb

I hope for this functionality too in Locus or addon.
Don't think it will be in current implementation of Locus with GC.com

Sent from my SGSII using Tapatalk
  •  

dibrial

It would also be great if adjusted listing coordinates and personal cache notes would be imported and the cache would show up at the user changed coordinate on the map.

Is this posible to implement?
  •  

babi

hello.
how can i update caches with new version of this addon? i can not find any options ,(
  •  

Martin Sloup

babi: By a last discussion with Menion it looks like it doesn't work as I expected. So currently updating caches isn't possible.
Autor of Geocaching4Locus add-on
  •  

dibrial

With newly imported caches I do see an update cache button. With previously imported caches I don't see the button.
Do you mean the update doesn't show up, or clicking update cache doesn't work at all?
I haven't been able to test the button, because the cache is not updated nor logged.
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "dibrial"With newly imported caches I do see an update cache button. With previously imported caches I don't see the button.
Do you mean the update doesn't show up, or clicking update cache doesn't work at all?
I haven't been able to test the button, because the cache is not updated nor logged.
I too see an "Update cache" but only on ones I've loaded from the add-on.  It would be nice if this would work for caches imported via Pocket Queries as well.
  •  

phoneguy100

Hi all.

I am a BIG fan of Locus and have started GeoCaching and this addon looks superb.

My problem is that I do have a tendency to be cautious putting usernames and passwords into apps that then reference none connected websites.  I have read that GeoCaching.com advises no android app is given your username and password to geocaching.com and so I am a little cautious.

Is this addon safe to use please?

Thanks alot

(sorry if this post seems a little pointless and please forgive me if I have offended the writers of the addon - but I just dont know if I shiould input my username and password).
  •  

stebu

I have used it for half a year without any adverse side effects.
Just dive in and enjoy!
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "phoneguy100"Hi all.

I am a BIG fan of Locus and have started GeoCaching and this addon looks superb.

My problem is that I do have a tendency to be cautious putting usernames and passwords into apps that then reference none connected websites.  I have read that GeoCaching.com advises no android app is given your username and password to geocaching.com and so I am a little cautious.
Because they want you to buy their useless $10 app instead ;)  And I'll also note that their app requires this as well, they have no OAUTH mechanism in their API that I've noticed, so unlike things like Facebook, Twitter etc that you login to a webpage to authorize an app, you put your credentials directly in the app, be it this app, other Geocaching apps, or the "official" app.

Locus + Geocaching Addon puts the "official" app to shame.
  •  

Martin Sloup

phoneguy100: Yes, it's a safe. Communication with Grounspeak geocaching API is secured using https protocol. And your account credentials is only stored in your phone to able log-in to their API. If you don't trust me you can download / fork sources on github and compile it yourself (see a first post of this thread).

Khaytsus: They already have something like OAuth ver.1, but not yet implemented in an addon. I don't see it critical at the moment.
Autor of Geocaching4Locus add-on
  •  

phoneguy100

Thanks stebu, Khaytsus.

Many thanks Arcao.

I agree that the addon is a million times better than the offical groundspeak one which is really quite poor and so I have been using the addon with great sucess.  forgive my caution, it is nothing personal - I am just a cautious person and am usually very particular about passwords etc etc only being used in the software that officially requests them.

Anyway, all that aside, I appreciate the comments and am extremely pleased with the addon so I give my thanks to Arcao.

Cheers.  :-)
  •