Cannot get all tiles from Google Map

Started by ulrikk, February 19, 2011, 11:01:05

ulrikk

Hi
Ia m quite recently tried to look Google maps with Locus as well as Orux maps . It seems that I get the same problem. Only a few tiles show up on the screen (thus the screen only partionaly has a map) and when I zoom it is empty. Is it Google which makes the trouble or do I do something wrong.

I tried download to sql whith the same problem.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  interesting. You're trying to look with online maps on some place and no map load (or just part)? May you please send me location on map of this problem? (hold finger and tap on popup window and you'll see coordinates).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ulrikk

I am looking e.g on N41 16.267  E19 51.532  (Albania)

When I am looking on SQl lite file I created it says connection failed for the tiles missing. Well the phone is connected and broadband working. But could it be that google map has problems with latency in the broadband. I have problems looking on video with that even if the speed is ok.  I have no problem looking on maps on the PC.
  •  

GOF007

I have this problem too.
It seem i 0.9.19 this problem is getting worse.

Downloading google classic map at zoom level 8 and 9 is not working at all
zoom lv 10 is partly downloadable but will stop st some tile.

some map tiles will not show too.

And I mean "world map", it happened anywhere.
(I'm trying to download a world map from zoom lv 8-13)

Those map download just fine on my desktop (same internet connection). So I assume it was Locus bug.

[Edit: I use offline mode.]
All the problem I have seem to related to map downloading(I download to Online Shared Map SQL type) and offline map.
The online map loads normally(but a lot slower than on a desktop or even Google Maps for Android).
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  hm when I look at you coordinates (N41 16.267 E19 51.532 (Albania)) all looks fine. Every zoom or another near are download tiles correctly. Wasn't that just a temp problem?

about downloading world. Yes, you're right. There is a bug when you select bigger area then only one "world". Specificy area exactly on one world map (no any part of left or right) and download will work fine.
  •  

ulrikk

Quotehm when I look at you coordinates (N41 16.267 E19 51.532 (Albania)) all looks fine. Every zoom or another near are download tiles correctly. Wasn't that just a temp problem?

Nope, it actually I have the trouble for a couple of week and maps I have been looking at. It seems to be there both for Locus both also for Orux maps too. Most pronouced on satellite pictures, but recently even on "roadmaps" from Google. Thus I suspected that google has changed something, or that the network made some jokes with me. The other thing could it be the phone ?? A HTC desire Z with 4 GB free space on the card.

The strange thing when you make the download to sgl file it counts all images and downloads them, thus the program thinks they are ok, but they are empty.
  •  

ulrikk

Hi again I attached a screen dump (nice feature in Locus) how the maps looks like. Zooming up and down display info, but back again the holes are in the same area. The position is N 41 19.192 E 19 49.379.

Ulrik
  •  

Menion

Hmm seems that in cache is saved empty tile because no text is displayed on missing tile. It's google classic? Look please into Locus/mapsOnline directory and rename Google-classic file to any other name. This will "clear" cache for your map and force to reload map at your place. Question si why Locus save empty tile. This should be done only when server return "Not exist" response on map tile. Some problem on google server? hmm ...
  •  

ulrikk

Quote from: "menion"It's google classic? Look please into Locus/mapsOnline directory and rename Google-classic file to any other name. This will "clear" cache for your map and force to reload map at your place. ...
Yes it is google classics.  Renamed it and the maps is completly empty, ie no tiles at all are loading. When I am zooming it says loading shortly  for the tiles but they are empty. The mobile is connected currently in a sufficient speed so I can have a look at eg google earth with no problem, it extremly quick updates it tiles when i zooming even in areas which shouldnt have been cached earlier.
  •  

Menion

Hmm it's some nonsense ... look at my screenshot, all loaded without problem ...

There should be one more reason that you're not downloading image: Menu->Settings->Map->Offline mode ...
  •  

ulrikk

OK when I check OFF Offline line mode, everything is loading fine.
  •  

ulrikk

Thus it seems that misintrepreted the option. I thought that was to force downloading only when I am connected to WIFI, not to the 3g when I moving around.

Otherwise the program looks marvelous and I am finding more and more nice features in it.  I am currently situated here in Albania and maps, roadsigns are absent. Even traditional navigators maps are just grey squares for the capital Tirana and outdated roads. The only way to navigate is with satellite pictures, even if google classics is really updating details quickly now.
For my navigation in Sweden it is perfect to download seacharts from Eniro a really good backup to my seacharts on my PC using the marvelous Seaclear program.
Is there a descirption somewhere how to import bsb maps  to Locus?
But I am missing or have not found the way to solve it. For cities I need details at higher zooms than on the countryside, I would be very ncie to either make one file with spots of detailed maps and the rest in a overview  or alternatively that when you go outside the detailed offline maps,  Locus load the overview map automatically and goes back in details in next city.

Finally how did you get the coordinates at the crosshair on the picture you attached?

Ulrik
  •  

Menion

- bsb maps? any description what is this?

- for detailed zooms on some places in same map, use "External mode" described here http://locus.asamm.cz/?page_id=11. Or you should now use "Multi SQL map" in beta version. This actually is only in testing and have no description.

- and coordinates, also try beta version here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=261. I have published a minute ago ...
  •  

ulrikk

Thank you for the answers.

Quote- bsb maps? any description what is this?
It is popular format used for seacharts. Eg. in the US all seacharts are free and can be downloaded in BSB format. Unfortunately they are not free in e.g  Sweden, but amazing high quality maps are produced in this format for a decent cost . Most programs however are Windows, so for your canoe or just on deck this wealth of information is unaccessible, thus my question, bsb maps in android would be very popular.

A proper discription of bsb chart are in the link below.

http://libbsb.sourceforge.net/bsb_file_format.html

So they are raster images with geoinformation and my maps are in the size range of about 5 Mb. Thus just one georefenced image. A very ncie free PC program is seaclear (http://www.sping.com/seaclear/). I imagine the problem with these maps that you  need somewhere to track the how the different maps are tied together. Maybe you need also to make coordinate transformations for the projections, so probable this is easiest done externally and then dowloaded to the android.

Ulrik
  •