Using a jpg image/camera pic as a map + onboard calibration

Started by InfX, March 20, 2011, 00:37:39

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"except memory limits

I tried an experiment with this. I created 3 maps, all with the same number of pixels, but with 24 bit, 8 bit palleted, and 8 bit grayscale color depths. The 8 bit versions should require less memory, at least in principle, but I could not load any of them. Is the way you store the images inside Locus always the same, regardless of the color depth of the image?
  •  

Menion

you should not load them because locus do not allow it (by message that image is too large)? If so, then this check is done only based on image size (pixels). I don't know if loaded bitmap take same amount of memory no matter of color palette, but I'm worried it does. I took 3 bytes for every pixel no matter of color palette you use. Anyway I'll test it a little. But no matter of result, memory limit will be still to tight till some improvement will be done
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"I took 3 bytes for every pixel no matter of color palette you use.

Thanks for looking at it. It was worth a try, even if it didn't work.
  •  

InfX

Quote from: "gynta"search for MAPC2MAPC
or look at
 forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=899
10x, i took a look at it. TBH, it's not nearly as convenient as the new Locus calibration or as Maprika. To calibrate using an external reference, you have to display the map inside that external reference, saving the points file in there, and only calibrate using the saved points inside this program after. Nowhere near the way Locus is now offering, really.

Also, the GUI of this app looks like something a person seeing winforms for the first time in his/her life would do. Ah, and the site looks like a first time encounter with html either. In fact, i wouldn't care if it was am open source or at least a free app, but the guy is asking quite some money for it, putting nasty red crosses over the map if you don't register (making the app useless). And yes, i know i can probably simply replace the whatever resource/file this cross is stored in with blank, that's not the point.

PS: Thanks anyway :)
  •  

gynta

i dont say "its perfect"   :)

MAPC2MAPC and Oziexplorer also look like...
u right!

but it works!
I would also be happy about other stuff.

fencepost

Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread or elsewhere on the forum (I looked and didn't see it), so forgive me if it has been, but I like to create a set of points in locus to help calibrating the maps.  Make sure the points are turned on when you start the calibration process and after you set a calibration point and open the map to set the corresponding map point, click on the appropriate POI and the exact coordinates will pop right in place.  Eliminates having to zoom in/out to get it as close as possible and reduces some of the error.

Thanks for this option, menion!

P.S. Once the map is calibrated, I assume it should be moved to the maps folder within Locus so that it can be turned on/off as needed?
  •  

Menion

good point, yes it's perfect method for precise calibration. About your "PS", calibrated map placed into 'maps' folder will not be able to load. You have to place map into mapsItems directory and use "Map Item manager" for fast loading and unloading. Currently, there is need to load map everytime after start. I'm trying to prevent some unexpected outOfMemory errors that may happen ...
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "fencepost"P.S. Once the map is calibrated, I assume it should be moved to the maps folder within Locus so that it can be turned on/off as needed?
Is this a "map"? or is this a calibrated "picture"? or only a little "overlay"? in this topic it was a picture. but maybe in the future we can calibrate and transform huge pics - and then we sould store in the maps-folder...

edit:
damn - my reply came too late :)

Menion

I'll rather call overlays in KML file, just a calibrated picture. My idea is allow calibrate huge files in few steps - select file > cut file to pieces and create not-yet-calibrated-tar-map > calibrate this map ... voala ... but this in future ;)
  •  

fencepost

Thanks for the response, menion.  I'll make sure I place them in that folder.  

Sorry, gynta, as menion indicated, it's a calibrated image, not map.  My bad. :)
  •