Using a jpg image/camera pic as a map + onboard calibration

Started by InfX, March 20, 2011, 00:37:39

gemeenaapje

Menion,

it works perfectly (crashed once when selecting a photo but doesn't matter, works ok now).

All I want to do now is delete all my offline maps and have this "overlay" load everytime I start Locus.

Basically I've scanned in my aviation chart and that's all I use Locus for.  I want it to load everytime.

Double thumbs up though Menion, I promise you I know a lot of pilots who will be buying this now!!

Matt
  •  

InfX

Cyanogen ROMs have an interesting setting... it allows the user to set the VM heap size, the max is 48mbytes. I admit, i've seen this setting before, but didn't touch it, thinking "the apps are coded with the limited heap size in mind anyway, what's the point of touching it", i guess now i know better, lol.

EDIT: well, Locus still crashes miserably on this huge (5184x4623) file, but i guess i just demand too much from it, lol.
  •  

stebu

Quote from: "hendo"I gave it a try, but I'm not sure what what to do, I assume that you add a point by clicking an area on the photo that corresponds to an area on the map, sorry for being to stupid  :oops: any chance of a quick guide please  :P
I guess you are on the right track. You have to repeat the operation so that you'll have at least three matching points (picture vs map).
Then you will be able to click the calibrate button. Locus will then create a map overlay of your picture (if it doesn't crash).
On the fuctions menu, there is the map items manager button. With it you can recall the map overlay and also disable it.
Currently this works only with the test version, but I guess Menion will get it to the market any day now.

I tried to calibrate my picture using Google Earth, that's a PITA  :cry:
So I tested a small Python script to calibrate the map. Works OK. But I had to manually use 7z (zip file software) to update an existing .KMZ file with a new DOC.KML file. Is there a (windows/dos) program that can create a .KMZ out of a .JPG and the DOC.KML?
  •  

InfX

Info-zip's "zip", the old good command line pkzip, rar (that can do zip files too and got command line version) and whats not.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "InfX"Cyanogen ROMs have an interesting setting... it allows the user to set the VM heap size, the max is 48mbytes. I admit, i've seen this setting before, but didn't touch it, thinking "the apps are coded with the limited heap size in mind anyway, what's the point of touching it", i guess now i know better, lol.

EDIT: well, Locus still crashes miserably on this huge (5184x4623) file, but i guess i just demand too much from it, lol.

ehm, this image is really .. too much :)

anyway guys, new version if you want to test is here ... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1250&p=7349#p7349

should contain some more memory modifications and some checking for prevent of OutOfMemory errors ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "menion"anyway guys, new version if you want to test is here ... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1250&p=7349#p7349
should contain some more memory modifications and some checking for prevent of OutOfMemory errors ...
thx :)
works now without any out of memory crash. What factors prevent the load? max image size (length width) or the data volume (kb)?

u read my other suggestions on post viewtopic.php?f=13&t=377&p=8028#p7995 too?

InfX

I managed to crash the new test version despite the checks :(

What i did is calibrated a map pic, already having another one stored and calibrated before and then started choosing them multiple times inside the item manager. Eventually - i've got a crash.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "InfX"...multiple times inside the item manager...
hmm - loading multiple times ?
yes :roll:  this freeze locus.  it give me a statusbar 'xyz' already loaded and then locus loop with "importing..."

Menion

I'm checking size only for calibration. Not for every loading. But as I can see on you ... user will just try to load into locus everything that is possible :))

- check is done, based on image area (pixels) not on size of file (depend on format) and expected heap limit (based on android version and screen size

- I was looking on suggestions, but forget to implement them ... I'll do it

anyway, main is to be able to calibrate map in locus and to be able to display ONE map at time and use it! I'll anyway do some more checks to warn user about memory limits. Thanks guys for testing, I appreciate it very much
  •  

InfX

QuoteBut as I can see on you ... user will just try to load into locus everything that is possible
Especially when trying to crash the app on purpose, knowing it tends to crash on heap allocs here and there, lol
  •  

rijackson741

I've found a minor bug. If you use seven points for calibration (or presumably more), the screen that shows the deviations does not display them all, because there is no scroll bar.
  •  

Menion

ah thanks, forget to add some scrollable background. Anyway how this works for you (not just Richard)? I was playing with it quite a lot and seems that except memory limits, this feature is quite intuitive and easy to handle and mainly working. For some field quick calibration, seems enough ...
  •  

InfX

Well, i didn't do any extensive testing, nor i had any practical use of it yes (such as actually using a picture of a map on a hike or something), but in general, it looks working really well, well, except for the out of mem crashes. BTW, the GUI, with an ability to use an existing map for the calibration of the new one, is a really nice idea, especially considering the existing map can be a fully offline vector map :-)

Something i have to add - having it in KMZ format, readable by google earth, is another bonus point here.

PS: Speaking about calibration using another map as a reference, are there any PC based tools that can calibrate using the same approach and output in the SQL db format ? (It's not a feature request, just a question if anyone knows any).
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "InfX"PS: Speaking about calibration using another map as a reference, are there any PC based tools that can calibrate using the same approach and output in the SQL db format ? (It's not a feature request, just a question if anyone knows any).

search for MAPC2MAPC
or look at
 forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=899

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"Anyway how this works for you (not just Richard)? I was playing with it quite a lot and seems that except memory limits, this feature is quite intuitive and easy to handle and mainly working. For some field quick calibration, seems enough ...

It works well for me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the only thing that I can think of that would make it a little easier to use would be to make the map item manager available directly from the data manager screen (so 6 items on that screen, rather than 5). It would make it easier to find for those less familiar with Locus.

I think it's a great addition to Locus. It doesn't quite do everything Maprika does (Maprika handles bigger images, because the app does very little else, and I think it can even calibrate maps such as ski resort maps that are perspective views of the mountain), but it does most of it. And it does it in Locus, where everything else is available  :)  I think it's time to delete Maprika from the phone  :)
  •