LM 4.22.1 - 'Navigate' starts route planer instead of navigation

Started by TomHH, March 22, 2024, 08:32:10

TomHH

When selecting a point on the map and try to 'navigate' to it, the route planer is started instead of the navigation menu (where you select bike, car etc).

To reproduce:
- move map and select point by holding finger on screen
- select navigation icon on the lower screen end
-> route planer is started
=> should be: 'navigate' menu is shown

Can someone reproduce this as well or is it only me?

Device: Google Pixel 5, Android 14 (with latest updates)
  •  

Graf Geo

This is intentional and is the new concept. The navigation allows you to customise the calculated route as required.

If the route suits you, click the navigation icon at the top of the map and off you go.

See Menion's Post here:
"... there is a completely new system of handling shaping/via points in the route planner that should also fully replace the old "Navigate to" screen."

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

SG S10, Android 12
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: TomHH

Tapio

Heavy changes there, IMO WIP. In the most recent Playstore version there is a menu with "Plan route to" and "Navigate to".

The latter auto creates a route in the route planner. I agree, this should happen totally in the background, otherwise the user would have clicked "Plan route to".

Currently,in the screenshot menu, we decide what we want. But eg after using "Navigate to", followed by another click on a navigation button (top of the route planner), Locus once again asks if guidance or navigation is wanted. That's still not perfect. You tell Locus 3 times that you want to navigate.

Aside from that, that menu is a great thing.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

TomHH

@Graf Geo Thanks for the info! Saw the navigate icon the upper screen corner now as well. I was a little bit irritated with the new approach, but thinking about it it's quite nice having the option to adjust routing the way you want it before starting it.

Now you either adjust it the route or start navigation - so all good!  :)
  •  

Graf Geo

@Tapio: This is okay for me.
Klick a point.
"Plan route to" opens route planner and you must choose start.
"Navigate to" opens route planner, your location is your actual position. You can modify the route or not.

SG S10, Android 12
  •  

freischneider

For me, this is duplicate and makes no sense. If I want a different start, I can simply change the entered location.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Graf Geo

I never use guidance and therefore have hardly any experience with it.

But there is a difference:

If I click on a point and immediately select "guide on", a straight guidance line (small blue triangles) appears. Guidance leads much to the destination without taking geographical conditions into account.

If I click on a point and select "Navigate to", the route planner opens and calculates a route. Then I click on the navigation icon again and select "Guidance".
Now a thin red line with numerous turn-by-turn directions (small blue dots) appears on the route. Presumably the route guidance is then close to the calculated route.

I'll have to try it out, as I said, I never actually use guidance.

SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Graf Geo

Quote from: freischneider on March 22, 2024, 09:14:40For me, this is duplicate and makes no sense. If I want a different start, I can simply change the entered location.
Ok I understand. Maybe you're right.

However, it is then somewhat more complicated to set the start when the GPS is off or there is no signal.

I therefore find the selection option (plan route to / navigate to) somewhat better.

But that's a matter of opinion and taste.

SG S10, Android 12
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Graf Geo on March 22, 2024, 09:47:53Maybe you're right.
For sure he is right. 3 times clicking "Navigate please" is not fully fleshed out UI. IMO You either choose "Plan route to" and expect all route planning options in the process. If you want to go the short way, with "Navigate to" you can expect it to start a navigation instantly.

I recommend therefore to rename the menu if that is the concept:

1. Navigate to
2. Plan navigation to

In case of 1., start from GPS position and turn GPS on if necessary.

A simple concept and easy to understand. I also never use guidance.

Graf Geo

Ok, there is still room for improvement. As Menion wrote here:

"Of course, work on the planner is not yet finished ..."

But I would be more in favour of three options, as I also find the previous option 1 sensible:

1. Navigate directly to (last settings for mode etc. are used) - then the navigation starts immediately
2. Navigate to (as it currently works)
3. Plan route to
SG S10, Android 12
  •  

TomHH

Hmm, I would bother switching back to the previous approach. If I want to plan a route I open the planer, if I want to do a quick and direct navigation I use 'Navigate'.

The current approach with first open the planer and start navigation from here is okay but a little useless as I know in advance what I want to do IMHO.
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: TomHH on March 22, 2024, 14:08:13Hmm, I would bother switching back to the previous approach. If I want to plan a route I open the planer, if I want to do a quick and direct navigation I use 'Navigate'.

The current approach with first open the planer and start navigation from here is okay but a little useless as I know in advance what I want to do IMHO.
Not always, I want to navigate from my location to the selected point. But I may not like the route selection. That's why the route via the planner is quite good and does almost no more work.
Navigating to always leads to the planner. The start and destination are already filled in. and if I want to plan the route to. I just have to complete the route.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Graf Geo on March 22, 2024, 13:35:262. Navigate to (as it currently works)
3. Plan route to
IMO there's no difference between 2 and 3 which justifies another menu entry. Would be rather confusing.

arnor

The place name displayed at the bottom of the screen (here Leeuwarden) is incorrect.  Here Leeuwarden is the municipality to which the town of Grou belongs.  The place name must therefore be Grou.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
nice discussion, thanks for it. In the team were also votes that promoted merging "Plan route to" and "Navigate to" options into a single one. I still consider the current solution as more useful. Here are the key differences:

Navigate to
- automatically turn on GPS
- set start point to GPS
- set end point to selected point
- after computing the route, zoom out to display the route preview
- show a quick navigation button in the toolbar (in the next version, it will automatically start navigation).
- we are also thinking about an automatic 10-second timer > when the route is computed and you do not touch the screen for 10 seconds, navigation starts automatically. This should cover also the need for quick navigation

Plan route to
- set end point to selected point
- show a quick save button at the top

Hope, my explanation is clear and makes sense to you.

---

@arnor
address geocoding > I'll look at it thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •