[APP] - version 4.20.+ ( 11/2023 )

Started by Menion, November 24, 2023, 22:16:45

michaelbechtold

Mine has exceeded 1 GB, a real challenge, for backups e.g. and space in general.
I had proposed long time ago to support a second "archive" track DB, that may reside on ext. SD e.g. and will be part of searches, but not part of backups (you do that once to an offline device like OTG USB drive or a PC).
That mechanics should of course include the pruning of the original DB (your point in the post).

Tapio

So in your experience, does pruning never happen? I could of course export to gpx and rebuild it, IMO without any information loss, but that's some work.

I'm not even sure if LM4 can still import 1000s of tracks, I remember there was a crash issue.

IIRC Menion wrote db prune is up to Android, or Android does pruning at some point...
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Tapio

•  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Tapio on December 23, 2023, 17:49:29I could of course export to gpx and rebuild it
@Tapio or Cloud Sync, then delete on device, then Cloud Sync... if you dare. Quite slow too, of course. I have done this once & it worked but still feels risky.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Tapio

Quote from: Tapio on December 23, 2023, 17:49:29I'm not even sure if LM4 can still import 1000s of tracks, I remember there was a crash issue.

@Menion, just tested. Import GPX to database folder. Select 850 files, click ok bottom right: Crash LM4 + auto restart LM4.

EDIT: Zipping them and pointing Locus to that zip file is a workaround.
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 23, 2023, 17:36:17Mine has exceeded 1 GB, a real challenge, for backups e.g. and space in general.
OK did some testing. Everything is fine.

a) Deleted several 1000 of tracks from LM database via the trackmanager. After exit LM4, the db file immediately went from >300 MB down to 160. So for some reason now it instantly did the cleanup action.

b) sqlite3.exe alternatives also lead to a result, a working and small db.

sqlite3.exe tracks.db "VACUUM"
or
sqlite3.exe tracks.db ".dump" | sqlite3.exe new.db

michaelbechtold

While this is good news, it does not resolve the dilemma: if you want to have all your track history with you (without sharing it with the world in some online service), you have to swallow enpormous backups in every cycle.
That is something only Menion can fix, right?

Menion

@Andrew Heard
"Error when nav points are close" > better error is of course better :), but I need to simulate it to set up and verify the correct error message.

"Font size" > I hoped it would be possible to temporarily reduce the size of the font for the whole tablet. This is the default size? We talk about your Tab A7??

@Tapio
Import of 850 files > heh, I do not have so huge amount of files to test  :). May you share with me this problematic pack?

---

Database size
A secondary database (archive) is not planned, sorry.

Anyway, what we discussed is improving sync logic.
Currently, all data needs to be on the device and if "sync" is enabled, all are synced to the web. What we plan (it may change because we mostly discuss it for now), is to offer options like:

- keep folder local, sync (currently all folders)
- keep folder local, does not sync
- local folder data on demand, all on the cloud
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Tapio

Re: import 100s of single files, I've created a test set and sent you a link. Select all on import, it makes my LM crash.

Quote from: Menion on December 28, 2023, 08:28:14A secondary database (archive) is not planned, sorry.
Can you maybe implement an easy logic, eg if it finds an additional db, it would include it into track or wp manager... but create no backup from it, or sync it? But well, maybe intransparent behaviour. Or hidden feature...

Secondary db is just what I did. Imported tons of stuff into it which I need to analyse rarely. It has my complete movement over years.
  •  

Menion

Thanks for the link. 141MB of GPX files ... quite a lot. I expected that the app could handle it, but it ended with an out-of-memory error. Something, that should be solved on the app side, but it requires quite a lot of debugging.
So problem is registered to the "Problem to solve later" category. Thanks for understanding.

---

Extra DB, please no. You can't convince me because this should be solved by the already planned feature I've mentioned above.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Pusta

Quote from: Pusta on December 09, 2023, 07:00:11
Quote from: jonny.blue on November 25, 2023, 10:11:29Just installed the afk on my S10e ...
I can start LM4 but after 3 seconds there is no movement possible: the app stops working. :-[

When I use these 3 sec to move to settings all screens are working. But the map screen forces the full stop.

On my (test) tablets the version is working.
After installing LM 4.20.1 the same problem as johny.blue. I tried to install last version of LM 4.20.1.1_1122beta . But aplication still not working good, it crashes. Phone: Samsung S10e .

Quote from: Menion on December 18, 2023, 08:20:27@Pusta & @Joska
I do not know what is the problem here, so your "user ID" (visible in the "About app") may help or a full bug report after the crash.

I've already figured out where the problem probably was. The crash of the LM 4.20.1 application after upgrading from the previous version was caused by the active Strava heat map overlay. A clean install of the latest version of LM without restoring from a backup was OK. After the subsequent complete recovery of the data from the backup, the application crashed again. Only restoring from a backup made in LM3 with the Strava Heat map overlay off helped.
Now the app works as before.
Maybe my knowledge will help you.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on December 28, 2023, 08:28:14"Error when nav points are close" > better error is of course better :), but I need to simulate it to set up and verify the correct error message.
@Menion - as reported I tried to reproduce too without luck, sorry

Quote from: Menion on December 28, 2023, 08:28:14"Font size" > I hoped it would be possible to temporarily reduce the size of the font for the whole tablet.
it didn't even occur to me to try

Quote from: Menion on December 28, 2023, 08:28:14This is the default size? We talk about your Tab A7??
yes default size on Tab A7
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on December 28, 2023, 08:28:14Anyway, what we discussed is improving sync logic.
Currently, all data needs to be on the device and if "sync" is enabled, all are synced to the web. What we plan (it may change because we mostly discuss it for now), is to offer options like:

- keep folder local, sync (currently all folders)
- keep folder local, does not sync
- local folder data on demand, all on the cloud
Thumbs up to this! That was one of my wishes when the cloud sync was started - would be great to have all tracks in the cloud, but can choose which folders to sync locally. Then e.g. my tab can always have everything, whereas my phone only stores what's currently needed.
Sure, if you want a full non-cloud backup, you still need a device where everything is synced. So this doesn't fulfil all wishes, but I think it would be a huge step forward - selective sync is kind of a must, anyway...
  •  

Andrew Heard

4.20.1.4 beta: option to share single LoPoint - excellent @menion! Now for similar share from the Web Planner, similar to sharing a track...
  •  

freischneider

Locus crashes when recording is stopped.
Beta 4.20.1.5
I start the recording. After the tour I want to stop the recording via the red circle. Locus crashes every time and the recording is still running when I restart it.
I then installed the widget. This allowed me to stop the recording.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •