[Theme] Tapiola

Started by Tapio, June 26, 2023, 16:20:18

Tapio

I want to present you my theme "Tapiola".
You can download it here.

Tapiola is 100% tested with regional Mapsforge v5 maps (Germany->Nordrhein-Westfalen) from Openandromaps.org. Bigger maps (e.g., whole Germany) have a few less details included on certain zoom levels, but you probably won't notice it.
It also works with Lomaps V4+, but there are definitely issues.

The theme is a fork of the awesome Settler theme from Andrey, but slowly and steadily I made many changes and moved away from it.

My main ideas/goals were:
- Change colors to my preference
- City/town names not dependend on priorities at all. They will show up if zoom level allows it. Some names may overlap - but IMO it is important. A good overview is crucial for me. This way a was able to use smaller overview maps from OAM.
- City names following priorities were under risk of not being displayed. It happened that they were not displayed because a river had preference.
- Good visibility of hiking and cycling networks. Reasonable display of their names (like "X1"). Hiking color on one side of road, cycling on other, so both visible usually.
- Some themes show lines at some zoom levels due to few pixels of overlapping, I got rid of that.
- There's also some coding of track quality via display of lines on paths (OSM has a grade1-grade5 system) - more lines=less quality. 0 to 2 lines. Short+long line=Undefined. Zoom more in to see them.
- I reworked the display of road names, especially motorways, primary and secondary roads.
- In the themes options, I have made some changes compared to the Settler heritage. I combined some options.
- Less focus on hilltops compared with Settler.
- Benches, picnic tables, shelters, viewpoints have high prio and are drawn later, on top of other stuff - I'm a hiker.
- Parking has some over-the-top exaggeration. Many parkings are displayed. May change that.
- After all, you can turn on/off most things in theme options.
- I included OSMC hiking node icons (shameless copy/paste from John, his awesome Voluntary Theme) but I never really liked those. May remove them at some point.

Sorry, time is an issue, no pdf/html legend or fancy theme icon yet.

Here's a few notes as for the legend:
- Motorway: blue, Trunk: blue-greenish
- Primary road darker orange, secondary/tertiary getting lighter.
- White roads are asphalt, light brown more what you find in forests, less quality the more lines are on it (0-2 lines).
- Hiking routes are red, less important ones are interrupted lines. Cycling=blue, MTB=purple.

Download:
https://github.com/TapioOfTapiola/oam_theme_tapiola/releases/latest

Installation:
1. Download the zip file
2. Copy (don't unpack!) it into Android/[data|media]/menion.android.locus/MapsVector/_themes/

Just walk through the different zoom levels and see if it can help you. Have fun!

A few screenshots attached:
1. An overview map, I balanced the theme starting from Zoom level 8.
2. Notice the display of suburbs (can be turned off) for best overview but still no distraction
3. Display of hiking (red) and cycling (blueish) networks.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

jonny.blue

Very clear theme ... like it and will check it on next trip. 😎👍
  •  

T-mo

Thanks Tapio, I will test.
Andrey's Settler theme is really awesome, theme is great and visual pleasuring, xml is very clean and a good starting point.

1st try: NRW West-MSland, maybe some towns should already appear at ZL 11, currently start to appear at 12.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Hi Tapio. Would it be possible to create a Quick install like Andrew at Voluntary? When I give the Tapiola.zip to the Android/Media folder ... Mapsvector/_Themes, my locus doesn't see him.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on June 27, 2023, 11:39:08Hi Tapio. Would it be possible to create a Quick install like Andrew at Voluntary? When I give the Tapiola.zip to the Android/Media folder ... Mapsvector/_Themes, my locus doesn't see him.

Tapio's zip alone works like a charm.
Download, click (in a file manager), select Locus as handler, wait some seconds until Locus has created its internal extract, enjoy!

Tapio

Quote from: T-mo on June 26, 2023, 23:39:181st try: NRW West-MSland, maybe some towns should already appear at ZL 11, currently start to appear at 12.
Münsterland? Yes, not too many villages there and they are very distinct. Problem is with areas which have numerous villages, e.g. see Gummersbach.
Will add to ZL 11, but with priorities, so in crowded areas not all village names show up on that ZL. I don't like priorities with town/village etc. names too much, because I really want to see "all" settlements, if possible. Easily be able to find a settlement in overview maps is a goal.

Re: @Josef I guess this requires some kind of special URL? Cannot do this because I use Github. But the zip should work with LM4, if placed correctly.
  •  

ThomasD.

Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 27, 2023, 14:39:07Download, click (in a file manager), select Locus as handler, wait some seconds until Locus has created its internal extract, enjoy!
Does not work. Locus will not extract it. If I extract it by myself, it will not be recognized. Tested on 3 devices.
Regards,
Tom
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Tom:
- where does the download go to?
- when you click, you can chose Locus, but Locus does nothing?
- where does your Locus mapsVector folder (setting) reside?
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: ThomasD. on June 27, 2023, 21:25:30
Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 27, 2023, 14:39:07Download, click (in a file manager), select Locus as handler, wait some seconds until Locus has created its internal extract, enjoy!
Does not work. Locus will not extract it. If I extract it by myself, it will not be recognized. Tested on 3 devices.
Do you use LM4? Here if I use "open with... LM4" on the zip file as recommended by Michael, LM4 detects it as a theme and subsequently copies the zip to the right place.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on June 27, 2023, 11:39:08Hi Tapio. Would it be possible to create a Quick install like Andrew at Voluntary? When I give the Tapiola.zip to the Android/Media folder ... Mapsvector/_Themes, my locus doesn't see him.
works fine for me, just copy the ZIP file to ...Mapsvector/_Themes
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

ThomasD.

Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 27, 2023, 22:36:38- where does the download go to?
standard android download directory on internal SD card

Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 27, 2023, 22:36:38- when you click, you can chose Locus, but Locus does nothing?
Locus comes with the import diaolog posted by tapio, claims "succesfull", but theme is not shown and can´t be selected. Theme stays unzipped in theme directory. Manual unzipping gives same result - theme not installed.

Quote from: michaelbechtold on June 27, 2023, 22:36:38- where does your Locus mapsVector folder (setting) reside?
Private directory under Android 11.
Regards,
Tom
  •  

michaelbechtold

Looks valid.

Locus offers themes based on the type of map you have selected as active map.
These new themes like Tapio's all work with MapsForge 4+

If you should still have old LoMaps or VERY old OAM, then this new theme is not offered.

Besides above I currently have no other idea re. root cause.
  •  

Tapio

v1.1.9

• Villages display on lower zoom, ZL11
  • Minor MTB track changes

Tapio

Guys, I am interested in your opinion on a change, the path (road!) at 51.3372,7.953

I was expecting some kind of dirt road, like those (often) brown-white foot paths. Didn't check properly before I was there. OK, OAM shows me it's surface:asphalt and smoothness excellent. Reality: See attachment. A very good road. Cars not allowed.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/323041161#map=15/51.3273/7.9464

I decided to display as a white road (because of surface:paved|asphalt) - it's in attached Tapiola.

Appropriate?

Please compare with other themes.
  •  

Andrew Heard

@tapio - I'm just curious - why does www.openstreetmap.org display this sealed road as a dashed blue line? Because highway=path? Your decision seems right.
LM4.23.1.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •