Live Tracking - last minutes of track history not shown

Started by svartbjorn, February 26, 2023, 15:09:33

svartbjorn

I have created a private group for live tracking. The other members can see my location and the other location details, but not the last history of my track. I have a location update every 5 seconds and have specified that the last 15 minutes of my track history should be shown. I have seached the manual and the forum, but haven't found this reported as an issue as long as the update interval (in my case 5 seconds) is shorter than the history (in my case 15 minutes). I have a Gold Premium membership.
  •  

svartbjorn

Is this working for everybody else? Only me having having issue? Any hints are appreciated.
  •  

Andrew Heard

as far as I know, only your current position is ever displayed, the history setting is totally ignored
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

svartbjorn

Locus user guide section "Live tracking" says:
"If you are moving, 15 minutes of your movement history is shared too - displayed as a line of your track on map".

And in the app, the live tracking Groups Manager has this entry: "Length of displayed motion history", which the user can set to either Disabled or to 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

I have spesified 15 minutes with location update every 15 seconds. Hence according to the user guide the group members should see 15 minutes of track history. Am I missing something? A bug?
  •  

Andrew Heard

LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

svartbjorn

I know what you wrote, but that is not consistent with the Locus user guide, which even shows a screen shot of a map with track history.

You are saying that the history setting is ignored, but the Locus user guide is incorrect then?
  •  

Menion

Hi, history maybe works a little bit differently then you expect.
History is not shared directly over the web. It is collected and stored locally. This means, that in the moment you enable live-tracking, app starts to collect history for visible friends and display it. For this history is applied mentioned limit 5/10/15 minutes. This means that you should not see history in the moment you enable live-tracking, it just takes a while.

Hope my explanation is clear and it works for you like this.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

I understand that Locus has to collect data before displaying history. But history is never visible for my group members. Even after more than one hour after enabling live tracking and after moving several km, no history is visible.

I should mention than the other group members do not use the Locus app to display my live tracking, rather using the website link provided by my Locus when I initially defined the group and shared my live tracking group key. That should be according to the user guide, correct?
  •  

Menion

Quote from: svartbjorn on March 06, 2023, 09:20:08I should mention than the other group members do not use the Locus app to display my live tracking, rather using the website link

And this is the answer. The web does not display history. You have to use Locus Map Android app for this. We are planning to integrate a whole separate live-tracking web into our new web.locusmap.app, but can't promise it will be this year...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

Ok. Thank you very much for clarifying this. This should be emphasized in the user guide. I looked through the user guide several times and searched the Locus forum, but I never realized that track history is treated differently from all other data as it is only the only data that is only shown in the Locus app and not via the weblink.
  •  

Chris79

Quote from: Menion on March 06, 2023, 10:52:56
Quote from: svartbjorn on March 06, 2023, 09:20:08I should mention than the other group members do not use the Locus app to display my live tracking, rather using the website link

And this is the answer. The web does not display history. You have to use Locus Map Android app for this. We are planning to integrate a whole separate live-tracking web into our new web.locusmap.app Lego 2k drive, but can't promise it will be this year...
When will this project be done?
  •