[APP] - version 4.14.+ ( 1/2023 )

Started by Menion, January 18, 2023, 13:54:54

baegas

Quote from: Menion on February 20, 2023, 11:30:35@baegas
NTRIP server in Korea is a problem. If I remember correctly, we tried to test it but for an unknown reason, I'm unable to connect from the middle of Europe.

Still the same problem even after a week?

Hello
It's the same even if you access it with the updated beta file today
However, it works normally in "SW Maps" and "Bluetooth GNSS", which are other NTRIP access apps.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Is it possible to get (revert to) APK 4.14.2.1? Latest 4.14.2.3 is running horribly slow for me.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

@baegas
Oki, I'll rather try it with service in Czech and let you know. But most probably Beta version with some special logging will be necessary.

@Andrew Heard
no matter what map you use? Revert is not so easy mainly because old files are deleted forever...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: baegas

joeloc

@joeloc
Quotehmm nice main menu in display. And what you suggest? With Locus Map 4 you may hide everything except "Copyright" button. But this one will be in the next app version semi-transparent, so at least a little smaller problem.
I don't know a perfect solution... but Locus is responsible for destroying amoled displays for a long time now. It has by definition by far the longest screen on time at the brightest setting of any app. Putting some more thoughts into this is overdue.

Auto hiding the menu bars is obvious... but what about other elements? Like track recording icon? GPS icon? Scale?

Maybe a little transparency for these (80%?) could help, without causing too much usability trouble? A better but more complex solution might be to shift the whole UI around SLIGHTLY by a few pixels every day. Half a millimeter or something is hardly recognizable but will go a long way in protecting displays.

You cannot view this attachment.
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: joeloc on February 21, 2023, 10:05:25@joeloc
Quotehmm nice main menu in display. And what you suggest? With Locus Map 4 you may hide everything except "Copyright" button. But this one will be in the next app version semi-transparent, so at least a little smaller problem.
I don't know a perfect solution... but Locus is responsible for destroying amoled displays for a long time now. It has by definition by far the longest screen on time at the brightest setting of any app. Putting some more thoughts into this is overdue.

Auto hiding the menu bars is obvious... but what about other elements? Like track recording icon? GPS icon? Scale?

Maybe a little transparency for these (80%?) could help, without causing too much usability trouble? A better but more complex solution might be to shift the whole UI around SLIGHTLY by a few pixels every day. Half a millimeter or something is hardly recognizable but will go a long way in protecting displays.

I think they are exaggerating a bit here. Why do they always have the screen on ? Normally they are hiking or biking and look at the path. On Locus you look only if you need information. So the screen can stay off 70% of the time.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

lor74cas

Quote from: freischneider on February 21, 2023, 12:41:47I think they are exaggerating a bit here. Why do they always have the screen on ? Normally they are hiking or biking and look at the path. On Locus you look only if you need information. So the screen can stay off 70% of the time.
Yes, I agree, but everyone uses his device as he sees fit, in my case:
I start recording with Locus and only use the phone to take pictures or at crossroads when I have to choose which way to go, so during any excursion Locus is only active for a few minutes.
I prefer to turn it on for a few seconds and thanks to the high contrast of the icons I can see all the details even in full light, changing these settings in my case would be worse.
The copyright symbol could be less shiny (it's only there as a requirement) and that wouldn't be a problem, but the other icons the way I use them shouldn't be changed.

In addition, the displays have timers that first reduce the brightness and then turn off the display to avoid this type of problem, just set a timer that suits your needs.

Perhaps the problem arises for those who use Locus as a navigator in the car and want to leave it always active. If this is the problem, it would be useful to tie the brightness of the icons to a profile for example for use in the car.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on February 21, 2023, 07:48:04no matter what map you use? Revert is not so easy mainly because old files are deleted forever...
I only tried the new Ireland map when screen was going black; I was only using New Zealand map when CPU slow. I shouldn't have been tempted to test while on holiday. I can't test more sorry. I WAS able to revert to public 4.14.
  •  

CabrioTourer

Quote from: Andrew Heard on February 21, 2023, 21:09:11I WAS able to revert to public 4.14.
Please give me a hint how you did it.
I'm using Openandromaps oam maps. The automatic switch from one to another don't work anymore. I'm living near a map border and that's pretty bad.
Would like to check if this is because of the new Locus version I installed recently.
  •  

CabrioTourer

Ok, that was easy. Reverted to 4.14.2.1 and map switch work now.
@Menion
Looks like a bug at least in 4.14.2.3. I hope you can fix it.
  •  

Andrew Heard

unrelated question: I wanted to duplicate a preset as a starting point - they may each contain a LOT of settings. I tried just copying & renaming the .LB file but LM was totally confused when displaying the list. Renaming 1 preset via LM renamed both. Moving the list position of 1 screwed up whole list. I know - I'm doing something unintended, my stupidity. Could each preset in the list have a Duplicate item in its ... menu along with Rename, Edit, Remove? Not important;-)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: CabrioTourer on February 21, 2023, 21:49:05
Quote from: Andrew Heard on February 21, 2023, 21:09:11I WAS able to revert to public 4.14.
Please give me a hint how you did it.
@CabrioTourer backed-up settings, uninstalled beta, unsubscribed as beta tester in app store, installed public 4.12, ran LM & logged in, restored settings, restart, all good.

@menion - I've done many LM backup/ restores over the years, and this one is least trouble - no trouble! Well done!

Andrew Heard

Quote from: CabrioTourer on February 21, 2023, 21:59:05Ok, that was easy. Reverted to 4.14.2.1
did you have a saved APK for 2.1?
  •  

CabrioTourer

joeloc

Quote from: freischneider on February 21, 2023, 12:41:47I think they are exaggerating a bit here. Why do they always have the screen on ? Normally they are hiking or biking and look at the path. On Locus you look only if you need information. So the screen can stay off 70% of the time.
Exaggerating? I can assure you the permanently burnt in locus on our screens is very real, on multiple phones meanwhile. And Locus is not even configured to be always on, I'd estimate around 3-4 hours total at full brightness each day (on bicycle handlebars). That's apparently enough to kill displays in less than a year. Affected so far: Samsung Galaxy S10+, S20FE, S22Ultra. Next in line waiting for Locus tattoo: S23Ultra.

Obviously this is a "power user scenario" that won't affect too many people. But why kill displays if you don't have to? Software counter measures (ui pixel shifting) should be rather simple.

Alternatively, should Locus warn people with a huge red alert when your screen on time exceeds 2 hours for the day? "DEAR USER, PLEASE TURN ME OFF, YOU'RE USING ME WRONG" :-)

•  

joeloc

Btw... downloading openandromaps internally in Locus has always been about 5-10 times(!) slower than downloading the same file directly in a web browser (1000 mbit line). Some less than ideal http download code? Minimalistic buffer sizes?

With Locus I can reach about 1MB per second. With Chrome or Brave, download speed is closer to 10MB per second.
  •