Distance to a point on track navigation

Started by beonun, August 21, 2011, 02:07:33

beonun

I have a track with thousands of track points and a few waypoints.
On track navigation, I want to know the distance to a waypoint or the destination from the current position on the track.
Is it possible in Locus ?
I mean the distance is not a straight line but a real track distance.

As I know, Locus shows the straight line distance to a nearest track point from the current position.
A straight line distance is helpful.
But if we can monitoring the real track distance to a waypoint or the destination, it is more desirable for us.  
Although I am on the track line, the straight line distance is less helpful than the real track distance because the track is not straight and I can't follow with the straight line.

I expect a good news about this !
  •  

beonun

Dear Menion.

I want a reply about :  viewtopic.php?f=10&t=984

I have a track with thousands of track points and a few waypoints.
On track navigation, I want to know the distance to a waypoint or the destination from the current position on the track.
Is it possible in Locus ?
I mean the distance is not a straight line but a real track distance.

As I know, Locus shows the straight line distance to a nearest track point from the current position.
A straight line distance is helpful.
But if we can monitoring the real track distance to a waypoint or the destination, it is more desirable for us.
Although I am on the track line, the straight line distance is less helpful than the real track distance because the track is not straight and I can't follow with the straight line.

I expect a good news about this !
  •  

Menion

Hi beonun,
  don't know why first topic was locked ... interesting. I'll look at it ... question is where to display these stats ... maybe something similar as top navigation panel
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

oki, so I created this .. fine?

[attachment=0:11tp3izk]device-2011-10-09-125059.png[/attachment:11tp3izk]
  •  

beonun

Thanks for your quick reply.

I guess that' it.
Can I also test it in version 1.13.4(pro) ?
Have you been testing that function on new version ?

I really expect it.
  •  

Menion

no you can't, it's only on my version home, so wait for next release or testing version here on forum
  •  

beonun

Locus 1.13.4.2
•improved guiding along path top panel

I have tested above function.
But I couldn't understand when the value of 'Distance to next point' was displayed.  
I selected a track with waypoints and trackspoints. And I selected  'Guided on'.   But the value is 'Unknown'.  
I have tested a track with only waypoints, too.
I had various tests.
For sure I saw the value of 'Distanc to next point' when I select a exported track (with only a route, not waypoints)
But I didn't understand which track could display the value of 'Distance to next point'
Morever,  I could not understand the value is from  where  to  where.
Can you be more specific ?

And, I want the field 'waypoint of next' is inclued in top panel field.
Actually, I couldn't know which waypoint is  'Distance of next point' .  I wanted to know the name of the waypoint.
So if I select 'Waypoint of next', and 'Distance of next', I can see the next waypoint name and distance to there at once.
  •  

Menion

hmm, how old is track you're trying. Maybe if is too old, try to import it again. Distance to next waypoint will show values to next waypoint. Waypoint on track is red small circle that you can see when you have disabled guiding

this value is value from nearest point on track (so your projection on track) to nearest waypoint, same with time
  •  

beonun

Quote from: "menion"hmm, how old is track you're trying. Maybe if is too old, try to import it again. Distance to next waypoint will show values to next waypoint. Waypoint on track is red small circle that you can see when you have disabled guiding

this value is value from nearest point on track (so your projection on track) to nearest waypoint, same with time

Unfortunately, I still do not understand what you said.
When I imported a track with waypoints, that was imported into Locus - Points section and Tracks section.   I could see waypoints in Points section, a track in Tracks section.
 I select the track in Track section and select 'Map' and then I could see the track in map view.  
You said 'Waypoint on track is red small circle that you can see when you have disabled guiding'.
But I can only see my waypoints with  ' i ' icon.  Those are not red small circle.  
What's wrong with me?
Please explain it more specific.

Could you attach a sample gpx file for me to test ?
  •  

beonun

Dear Menion !

I want you to support a  gpx test file for me to test "imroved guiding along path top panel"
On my test, I don't understand your intension.   I need your gpx test file.
I have tested on a gpx file with many trackpoints and a few waypoints.  But I did not see the top panel with 'Distance to next waypoint, ...  '
And I've tested on a gpx file with only a few waypoints. As a result, I could see the top panel with 'Distance to next waypoint, ...'

Do you mean "imroved guiding along path top panel" is only applied on the track (a gpx file with only waypoints) ?

Thanks.
  •  

beonun

Thanks Menion!

I am so glad that waypoints of the track are imported as rte points in the version 1.14.1
So I can see top panel 'distance to next point'.... when I select 'Guide on' the track.
But waypoints of the track were not imported as points in 'Points' section. I can not see any points.

And if I want to add rte points to the track after importing the gpx, what can I do ?
As I know, on track navigation in Gamin device, eg. Oregon 550,
"For a waypoint to appear as on the track, it must be within 100 meters of a track segment. Specifically, it will be connected to the closest track segment"

So when I create a waypoint just on the track or, within 100 meters of the track, I can see the waypoint as a rte point.

Thanks again for your troubles !!!
  •