desktop widget

Started by Menion, February 08, 2011, 10:40:33

Menion

Hi excellent community!
  I want to ask you something also. During my programming for android, I still don't created any widget! And I want to try this :)

did anyone have any idea what should be useful together with Locus, to have as widget on screen? I have idea to create some controller for parking service, but I'm still not sure, how many people use this. So what you like to have as widget?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

I´m not sure if I understand you correctly.
Would you like to program a "locus" widget? If so, I propose to have a shortcut to enable gps funcionality and perhaps the possibility to choose the map (style).
Mostly I use a gps or a smartphone for offroad like cycling or hiking. so for me  "parking" would not be my first wish.
For onroad (car) I use commercial systems as Navigon, Falk etc. because the speech quality is implemented better.

Regards Jürgen
Regards J.
  •  

knshaikh

May be you can show the tracking status in the widget, showing status, interval, distance traveled, speed. And if in guide mode can show the distance and azimuth to target destination etc
  •  

Menion

Hmm
  I'm not much sure about usefulness of just idea but widget with some useful numbers and information for track recording, sounds good. Thanks, I'll try to think about it ...
  •  

marlar

There are also shortcuts. I use them a lot.

For example, in a note program you can place a shortcut to a specific note on the desktop. Or for a browser, a bookmark to a specific web page.  Or to a specific contact etc.

For Locus it could be shortcut to specific locations. So if I click on my shortcut, Locus will take me directly to the right map centered around the position.
  •  

jctmarques

what about an widget with the nearest POI and the distance to it? If in Track mode, then can be the next POI near the track.
  •  

Menion

I have already created widget for track recording but I have some problems in running gps service. I just first need to run main application and after all initialization, I can start track recording or other task. This is a little problem, so I'll have to rewrite big part of code or after click on widget firstly start app. Anyway thanks for POI tip, nice idea ..
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "menion"I have already created widget for track recording but I have some problems in running gps service. I just first need to run main application and after all initialization, I can start track recording or other task. This is a little problem, so I'll have to rewrite big part of code or after click on widget firstly start app.

Sorry for the old thread:
Did you finished that?
I wanted to try the widget (4x1) to simplify starting Locus.
When I start track recording with the widget GPS does not start automatic as in the main app (of course all checked there).
It would be nice too to see then the main Locus screen with the last selected map :-)
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  this thread is more then year old and I hope that for this time, widget works correctly. When you tap on REC button, GPS do not start for you even if you have enabled it in settings? Very weird, no one reported such issue

and what you mean by last sentence? When you start Locus, it do not show last used map??
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "menion"Hi,
  this thread is more then year old and I hope that for this time, widget works correctly. When you tap on REC button, GPS do not start for you even if you have enabled it in settings? Very weird, no one reported such issue

and what you mean by last sentence? When you start Locus, it do not show last used map??

Sorry, after the second try GPS does start now.

And with
"It would be nice too to see then the main Locus screen with the last selected map" I meant with a additional button in the widget it would be nice to start Locus to see the map and the current track.
If there is no place you could double use the REC button: after pressing REC the button can change to STOP.

Sorry I wrote too fast without thinking :-(

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

hmm weird that it do not work for the first time :/ .. if you'll have still this problem, let me know.

And some button on widget that will start Locus is planed for more then year, I also hope that widget will be improved soon :)
  •  

tramp20

Thank you.

User ID acc406201
  •