Locus Map Gold is too dark

Started by Wole, June 12, 2021, 16:08:19

JackRussel

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 08, 2022, 12:57:58
One of tapio's screenshots (was it from Tasker?) revealed a long list of Android screen related internal settings that you cannot view or change via Android UI.
There is a 99% chance that one of those settings is screwed in your devices.
I have found this list. Yes, this list was from Tasker.

But for me there are no or only a few entries for brightness.
This is probably because tapio does not have a Samsung phone.
Huawei probably has other internal settings
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 08, 2022, 12:57:58
One of tapio's screenshots (was it from Tasker?) revealed a long list of Android screen related internal settings that you cannot view or change via Android UI.
There is a 99% chance that one of those settings is screwed in your devices.
Yes. I cannot teach how to use Tasker, just want to say there's the possibility to find something.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WaJrpuMr4xU?feature=share

@JackRussel, did you also search in Type:System?
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: Menion on July 08, 2022, 13:25:52
One additional question. Did anyone try if "dark mode" or "light mode" set directly in the Locus Map 4 settings make a difference?
"Light Mode" or "Dark Mode" make no difference.

QuoteI've also found a topic on XDA with probably the same issue. One suggestion was to disable animation in the device, so maybe you should give it a try.
Thanks for the link. But there Huawei cell phones are affected and they do not cause problems in Locus.

Regardless. I turned off animation in developer options. Then I set the animation to 0.5x. No effect.
The option "under sunlight" does not exist on Samsung.

Thanks anyway.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: hlavsar

jonny.blue

michaelbechtold

I studied the (German language) Android forum entry and it shuts down the (partially emotional) Locus related discussion once and for all.
It is Samsung's strategy to cope with overheating and their approach, controlled by two hidden switches.
  •  

jonny.blue

I set my two flags ... removed rights... and finaly deinstalled the app.

... and LM4 (and google maps) remains bright.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Wole

Quote from: michaelbechtold on August 02, 2022, 11:57:59
I studied the (German language) Android forum entry and it shuts down the (partially emotional) Locus related discussion once and for all.
It is Samsung's strategy to cope with overheating and their approach, controlled by two hidden switches.

First of all, many thanks to jonny.jlue for your tip.

I made the changes and my S 21 stays bright.

So far so good. But it's not that simple after all. The general question, why LM 3 no and LM 4 yes, is not answered by this.

During my two-hour bike ride yesterday (outside temperature 25 degrees and full sun) I measured the battery temperature with both LM 3 and LM 4. In both cases the temperature was identical between 34.4 degrees in the shade and up to 39 degrees in the sun.

I read in the forums a few weeks ago that Samsung generally darkens from 35 degrees, other manufacturers only from 50 degrees.

So why doesn't LM 3 darken?

But I don't invest any more time in answering this question. I had already bought the Oppo cheaply used and am very satisfied with it and the LM 4.
  •  

Wole

Is there also a way to prevent dimming on the Samsung S8? Alliance Shield does not display the two switches on this device.
  •  

axelpix

Meanwhile unfortunately Alliance Shield has stopped working. Samsung has withdrawn the license for Knox. So even if you still find the apk somewhere to download, it will not get Knox clearance and therefore is not able to change our two thermal throtteling switches.

So we're back to where we started. No chance to prevent LM4 from dimming under daylight.

There must be something different in LM4 than in LM3 as LM3 doesn't dimm. Really no idea, Menion what this difference might be?
  •  

Wole

How long has the app stopped working?

I can only hope that once changes have been made to the switches, firmware updates will not reverse them.

I can't test that at the moment because we only have overcast weather, so the dimming isn't noticeable.

Is there any experience with this?
  •  

Menion

Ah damn!

There are a lot of differences between both apps, but not directly in the core. I'm still using a shared "app core" between Locus Map, Locus Classic, and Locus GIS.

It is really not about "I do not want...". I simply do not know. I've already spend many many hours on this problem and as you see, no success so far  :'(
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: Menion on October 01, 2022, 20:33:44It is really not about "I do not want...". I simply do not know. I've already spend many many hours on this problem and as you see, no success so far  :'(
I am not a developer. Therefore, I only have observations.

I have installed the app Thermal Guardian from Samsung.
There I have activated: "Limit CPU Boosting when heating".
I have disabled : "Decrease maximum brightness when heating".
--> No success

The display gets darker on LM4 immediately after startup. Without further use.

I have the feeling that the call of a function directly after start is responsible for it. A function that is started at LM4 but not at LM3.
Are there any differences in the API between LM3 and LM4 ? Is the SDK the same ?

In my case devices with Android 8 have the same problem. So it should be a function, API, SDK that already existed in Android 8.

Samsung darkens the displays in heat. But my Samsung S7 with Android 8 does not have this feature. The display remains bright even in heat.
The display still gets darker right after starting LM4.
Only my old S5 with Android 5 does not darken.

A long answer from you is also not necessary. I am not a developer anyway.
I rather hope for a new perspective on the problem. Time is precious.

However, I hope for a "long" support of LM3. After all, I am still very happy with LM3. Maybe the problem will be solved sometime.
  •  

axelpix

Don't want to sound too confident, but with the update to Android 13 on my S22 the issue seems to be gone. Haven't seen any dimming since then so far, even in direct sunlight after some minutes. Crossing fingers!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Wole

Important is the temperature, not only the brightness of the sun.

So let us wait for the summer and hope for the best.
  •  

axelpix

No, for me it allways dimmed immediately within 1 minute after starting LM4, even at overcast daylight with an ice cold device. LM4 was barely usable at all. This has gone with Android 13. Already spend 2 hiking days out there with perfectly usable LM4.
  •