[Solved] Access offline map files in Android 12

Started by lostinwild, September 01, 2022, 14:33:17

lostinwild

Hi,

I use Locus Map (Version 4.11.1) on Android 12, on a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
I am trying to access my offline maps stored in Android/data/menion.android.locus/files/Locus/maps/. Why? I am trying to copy them on my GF's phone such that we both have the maps for redundancy.

Now, unfortunately, the recent Android releases make it difficult to access anything in Android/data. However, there are two ways in which I could access the directory: by using android-file-transfer (for Linux) and by using a file manager that has a work-around for Android's restrictions.
I can use both methods to access any file in Android/data. With one notable exception! All of the *.sqlite files in the Locus/maps/ folder yield 0 byte files when I copy them over. The android-file-transfer output shows: "downloading file  "/home/...../foobar.sqlitedb"  failed:  "GetObject: invalid response code GeneralError (0x2002)""

Any ideas why this is? I was suspecting that it could be that Android treats database files differently, especially when the database is opened, but closing the app properly before copying has not made a difference. Thank you!

EDIT: FIX FOUND! A workaround has appeared with the September 2022 version of the app, which is to move the maps to Android/data using the following options
Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Default directories -> Set custom sub-directories -> [select maps directory, or mapsVector, or whatever you need] -> Private "Android/media" folder.
  •  

michaelbechtold

I'm using x-plore, on Android 12, and it can read and write to the (INT SD) private folders like the ...menion... ones you quote.
Also, as a TARGET (for your manual copy) you can chose /Android/media/...menion..., which is also read by Locus for offline content, per default (in addition to the other usual places).
This  media place is less restrictive than the data one in Android 11+.
  •  

lostinwild

Hi Michael, thank you for your quick response.
I have tried x-plore and additionally, I have tried using Windows to access the maps files. Unfortunately, neither worked. Curiously, x-plore did work on one map file, which was a tiny 400 KB file. All other (larger) files failed. Weird.

The media folder is a good idea for adding new maps. But it does not solve the problem of accessing maps that are already downloaded by Locus in the data folder. Would it be possible to change the default directory for maps from data to media (or even arbitrary external folders)? With Android being more restrictive on the Android/data folder, I would imagine that many other users are also facing problems.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi,
Menion mentioned that in the Sept. release there would come the option to define the /Android/media as target folder for mapsVector and Maps.
With x-plore - did it at least SEE all files the the /data structure, only copy failed?
Can you copy big ones to /Download e.g. - I know, this is trial and error ...
Cheers
Michael
  •  

lostinwild

Hi Michael,
I can see all of the files, but when I try to open or copy or move them (e.g., to /Download), I get an error. Tried with at least six different files. Happens in all applications that can access Android/data (X-Plore, FV File Explorer, Android File Browser Linux Desktop, default file browser on Windows Desktop). Note that the native Android file browser cannot access anything in Android/data, neither can the Samsung "My files" application.
Cheers
  •  

michaelbechtold

It's really HELL - may the Google and Samsung architects burn there!
Just tried to use x-plore on my Galaxy S10, Android 12 to test your case. What worked a number of months ago is now obstructed by above axis of evil.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lostinwild

Menion

And guys, with Android 13, even a hack that filebrowsers used to access Android/data stopped to work (I've discovered this yesterday). One additional option exists for now that use Locus Map 4 to access private data of Locus Map Classic and that seems to be used also the (till today unknown) "FV File Explorer" ...

And I really expect this hack will be patched in Android 14. Long life to Locus Map AFA version  ::)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

michaelbechtold

And for normal users /Android/media becomes even more important ... (weird enough, x-plore cannot see the folder content, bot roor explorer and solid explorer can).
  •  

Menion

Right. From the Google point of view, I'm still surprised that this directory was not yet removed ...  :P
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lostinwild

The new version's feature to move files into Android/media (which other apps can access) works! Thank you so much :)

For curious lurkers, here is how the setting works.
Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Default directories -> Set custom sub-directories -> [select maps directory, or mapsVector, or whatever you need] -> Private "Android/media" folder.
  •