screen-on nav & pin code unlock

Started by GusGF, August 30, 2022, 21:49:44

GusGF

Upgraded to the all new Locus 4 in the last few weeks and used it today. I'd planned a route in the Locus Web app and imported it to Locus on my mobile. When I tried to use the planned route using 'Navigation' (not 'Guidance') it failed to alert me of turns, no voice, no screen on grrr! >:( ! In Settings..Controlling..Display..Screen on/off control and under 'Guidance/Navigation' I've got all 3 options ticked. I had to turn the screen on manually, and when I did, I could hear the voice commands.

In Samsung settings under device care/battery settings, I've checked in the lists for sleeping, deep sleeping & never sleeping apps and Locus appears in none! Why is this??

When I got home I checked the battery settings and to my dismay, it had been set to 'optimised' so I've now changed it to 'unrestricted'. Could this be the source of my problem with turn notifications NEVER turning the screen on. I must admit I find it odd that some didn't sneak through regardless ???

In app settings, there is an option called 'Change system settings'. Should this be enabled and if so why?

Locus is set as a device admin app which seems to allow it to lock the screen. I don't really want it locking my screen if it doesn't allow me to continue with fingerprint unlocking. Having to type the pin unlock code is a major PITA. How do I stop the pin request from being forced on me after I exit Locus maps or if I want to use other apps while Locus is running? I would prefer fingerprint unlock at all times!!
  •  

lor74cas

In Locus Settings use the magnifying glass and look for the display or screen, you will find other options and among them perhaps the one you need
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

freischneider

Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

GusGF

Yes all of those settings I'm aware of, thanks.

I'd really like to disable the pin unlock which is forced on me every time I try to use other functions of the phone. Fingerprint unlock is enough surely.
  •  

GusGF

I think it's best I open a new thread about unlocking as this is not a small issue. thanks
  •  

GusGF

WHEN PHONE OS AUTO POWERS DOWN
In Locus maps and screen times out:
present fingerprint Locus opens and additionally I can access the home screen
double tap screen Locus opens and fingerprint reqd to access home screen
turn on via power button Locus opens and fingerprint reqd to access home screen

IN LOCUS MAPS AND I USE THE HARDWARE POWER BUTTON:
Press power button Locus reopens
Press power button Locus opens, fingerprint reqd to access home screen
double tap screen Locus opens, fingerprint reqd to access home screen

Using the screen off function in the side panel forces a pin unlock :(  Is this really necessary

WHEN LOCUS AUTO POWERS DOWN THE PHONE:
Using double tap I'm back into Locus maps
Using the phones power button I'm back into Locus maps again
But to get to the home screen I've got to pin unlock, no option for fingerprint given :(

I would usually esp during navigation be using Locus to power down my device i.e. save power after turn notifications. So Locus how about allowing me to get to my home screen just using my fingerprint? Struggling to input a pin code in possibly bright sunlight on the road/track is a major PITA, very frustrating.

The only option relating to unlocking was in the display settings 'Unlock the screen'.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
this is unfortunately technical limitation in the app, we are unable to solve for many years. If the app uses own method to turn the screen off, it always enables the most secure keyguard so the user is forced to unload the device manually. If this is a problem to you, avoid using features where the Locus Map controls the screen on/off behavior.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

GusGF

Quote from: Menion on August 31, 2022, 20:43:29Hi,
this is unfortunately technical limitation in the app, we are unable to solve for many years. If the app uses own method to turn the screen off, it always enables the most secure keyguard so the user is forced to unload the device manually. If this is a problem to you, avoid using features where the Locus Map controls the screen on/off behavior.

That's mighty inconvenient when you are cycling and just want the screen on for upcoming turns but you also need to check for messages. I guess until you find a way of doing it the best approach is a less secure easier to use screen lock with the biometric.
  •  

freischneider

I have turned off the screen lock completely. Apparently you can also control the function with Tasker. But I don't need a lock.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: 0709, GusGF

lor74cas

You can use smart lock with a weareable device. When the two devices are near, no need of pin or fingerprint.

I've been using this method for a while now and find it convenient. Of course there is the hassle of having two devices. In my case it still locks with a fingerprint if you have never used the phone for more than 4 hours.
Sasung A53 + Garmin Forerunner 235.
If you have this feature on your phone, you may be able to pair it with headphones or a heart rate monitor.

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: GusGF

jonny.blue

Yes, it's a little struggle with settings to find out the fitting settings.
For biking I decided Locus can pop up the turn instructions but then system waits until system time out darkens the screen.
Before I start biking I change my system settings to 15/30 sec (just to save battery).

I've read in another app forum about the same problems.
There the app decided not to turn off screen but only to reduce/define system delay to darken screen.
This should need no special rights and seems to work.
Unfortunalety I just can't find this forum entry again ...
  •  

Menion

@jonny.blue
this option already exists in the Locus Map as well. Just enable it in the Expert settings > at the bottom "Screen  off, alt. version". Unfortunately, it does not work reliably on all devices so it is still hidden and not published officially ... but you may give it a try.
  •  

jonny.blue

QuoteExpert settings > at the bottom "Screen  off, alt

Cool ... But I can't find this option in expert settings.
  •  

balloni55

Quote from: jonny.blue on September 02, 2022, 20:19:42
QuoteExpert settings > at the bottom "Screen  off, alt

Cool ... But I can't find this option in expert settings.
take a look at
penultimate setting option inside expert settings
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

I'm sorry, my bad. Important info: this feature is available only in the Beta version!
  •