Temperature sensor

Started by Wole, August 04, 2022, 14:19:22

Wole

I would like to connect a temperature sensor to Locus via bluetooth. Can anyone give me tips on available sensors?
  •  

Menion

Hi Wole,
because I was not able to find any "standard" that should be used by all thermo sensors, I've picked one and created support directly for this one. So currently supported is "Thermometer WS07" (for example here on eBay). I'm using it and it works without problems.

To support any other thermo-sensors, there needs to be a bigger interest, because I need to purchase it as well and create a support for it (if it's possible)  :-\.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Wole

Thank you very much for the answer, but did you rallye paid $254.49 for this sensor?
  •  

Menion

You see the price $254  :o ... I see "only" $23.95
  •  

Andrew Heard

funny - for me in Australia - $US23.95 too but $US200 shipping; I'll wait for a while ;-)

The actual developer only has two current models for sale WS02 & WS08 on their website
https://sensorblue.shop/collections/all. I wonder if these share the same protocol/ are compatible with LM.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Wole

I sent the seller an email and asked him if this was really his offer.

I look forward to the answer.
  •  

Wole

Hello Menion, hello Andrew,

I have now received a reply from the supplier. Shipping costs of $35 are due for delivery to Germany. The sensor is therefore still very expensive.

When googling I got u. a. found the following sensor: "Brifit Thermometer Hygrometer". This sensor looks exactly like the WS 07.

At Amazon, this sensor costs only €13.59. I will test it once to check whether both sensors are really identical. Maybe I'll turn to you again with a question.

I just see that the back of the sensor also says WS07 (see picture). So it does appear to be the same sensor.

Andrew Heard

The best I could find was an import from UK (1/2 way around the world) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165482045478 although no LCD - different model. Risk?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Wole

I just received the sensor. Briefly connect Locus to the sensor and the temperature is displayed immediately. This works even faster and better than with the Garmin sensor and ANT under LM Classic. Thank you both for the tips.

Menion

Hmm good to hear it. Because of the system in the background, it should have also almost zero battery consumption.
Shame, that it is not easily available ...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Wole

Wole

Hello Menion,
it's not that difficult to find the sensor, at least in Germany. Thanks to your tip I found the sensor in question on Ebay and then entered the term "SensorBlue WS07 SMart Hygrometer". Using the images then shown in Google, I was able to find various suppliers of this sensor. The only difficult thing was that the sensor appeared under different names from different suppliers. At Amazon alone, this sensor is available under at least three different names. Just compare the image of the sensor.

Since Amazon grants a right of return and does not charge any shipping costs for Prime members, the risk is relatively low.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for making it possible to include the "RainToday" app in the sidebar.

I've been in navigation for a long time. I started with Oziexplorer and Pathaway over 20 years ago, then TwoNav. I tested Garmin, Komoot and OutdoorActive and ended up with Locus Map. This app is indispensable for me. In my opinion, it is the best and most versatile on the market. Now that the Samsung problem with dimming has apparently been solved thanks to a tip from the forum, I'm really perfectly happy at the moment.

The service is also good, so I'm happy to pay the annual subscription costs for the gold subscription. So once again my thanks to you and your staff.
  •  

Menion

Nice post, thanks Wole and enjoy your trips with or without a Locus  :)
  •  

Will C

I've picked up a "Thermometer WS07" from Amazon for about £11. Connects easily in locus and can be announced by the audio coach. If the screen has been off for a while the audio coach stops announcing temperature. The phone is P20 Pro on EMUI 12, my Mi band 6 works perfectly with the audio coach so I don't know what the issue is. It would be nice to see the max and minimum values for the Thermometer WS07 in the track stats too.
  •  

Menion

Hello Will, and does the track recording work correctly on your P20? Because if there is a problem with battery optimization, not just the Audio coach, but also the recording should be paused (not working).
  •  

Will C

Track recording is fine, and I'm not running Locus as a service. I have turned the battery optimisation off for Locus when I installed it. I've searched through all the settings to find something which might affect the Bluetooth but can't see anything appropriate. As I say when both the Mi band 6 and thermometer are setup in audio coach, only the Mi band is consistent & reliable.
  •