Battery consumption

Started by jonny.blue, June 16, 2022, 19:25:10

jonny.blue

I use LM for biking and hiking. I always record my track and navigate along a route.
While hiking battery is enough for 6 to 8 hours.
But with bike LM drains battery within 2 hours. And there is no difference between LM4 or LM3.

Meanwhile I have a battery pack to solve this problem ... but I would really like to know the reason.
In profile I increased distance and time with bike to avoid much writing to sd ... but no measurable effect.

Anyone any idea?
  •  

Menion

Hello jonny.blue,

explain to me please this

While hiking battery is enough for 6 to 8 hours.
But with bike LM drains battery within 2 hours

What is the difference between bike & hike activity in your case? Only track recording?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

I regularly check my battery consumption. I have track recording every 50m. All other features disabled. Display rarely on, with 6s timeout. Flight mode. Percent reduction approx. 3%/hr with no obvious change between LM3 & 4.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

jonny.blue

What is the difference between bike & hike activity in your case?

Thats my problem ... there is no difference in the functions I use. Recording and navigating ... (and geocaching).

But the screen may be more active while biking because I set screen on by navigating instructions (for 15 sec).
But would this "screen on" power consumption count to Locus battery consumption?
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: jonny.blue on June 16, 2022, 23:29:29
But the screen may be more active while biking because I set screen on by navigating instructions (for 15 sec).
But would this "screen on" power consumption count to Locus battery consumption?
I have the display on very often when hiking.
The battery is still enough for 8 hours. (LM3)

Have you ever used the profile hiking while cycling ?
Use also once the profile bike while hiking.

Then you can see if the problem is with the profile
  •  

jonny.blue

Today I was hiking for 5:30h ...
Started with 100% ... and stopped with 41% battery left. 👍

Every 2 hours LM consumed from 6 to 10% ...

•  

jonny.blue

use also once the profile bike while hiking.

Good idea 💡

A difference that I notice in the screenshots is of course that LM was active for 48 minutes when biking, but only one minute when hiking. although in both cases the two hours were completely navigated.
  •  

jonny.blue

use also once the profile bike while hiking

Tried this yesterday and today ... but no effect.
With biking battery is empty after 2 hours.
Today I even tried to navigate without 'screen on' ... but oddly enough: no positive effect. 😥
  •