Offline track gpx navigation prompts?

Started by Rocks in my boots, April 13, 2022, 04:40:15

Rocks in my boots

If all I want is offline navigation for trails composed of gpx points then do I need locusmap 4 or locusmap classic?

Do I need to download a basemap or can I rely on viewing the gpx trail and becoming alerted if I am too far off course?

Please keep in mind that I am using gpx breadcrumb trails so I don't think any kind of turn by turn routing is possible, just a notification if I am way off track.

Thanks.
  •  

michaelbechtold

1) both, LMP and LM4 do the job.
2) in theory you could load a blank map and follow the track, no matter what. Maybe I'm too traditional for such approach :-) , but I would always provide for an offline vector map to be able to resolve pot. issues. Those maps can be LoMpas, OAM or other MapsForge providers.
Cheers
Michael
  •  

ThomasD.

Regards,
Tom
  •  

Rocks in my boots

Thanks for the good answers from both of you. It absolutely looks like locusmap will work for me. 

I suppose that which version I use is personal preference, does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other?

Thanks!
  •  

Rocks in my boots

Ok, I looked at the two versions and I am confused about which one I should use.  I have a gps now but am certainly willing to completely replace it if possible.

From what I can tell, if I want the advanced features they will both cost the same.

So use locusmap 4 because it is newer?

Thanks.

•  

michaelbechtold

LMP3 (classic) comes with a one time charge, while LM4 employs a subscription model (while there is a free version with ads, too). I own LMP3, but subscribed the gold version to get the full feature set. While LMP3 comtinues to get updates to stay current with Android versions, innovations and new features are appearing in LM4.
  •  

michaelbechtold

•  

Rocks in my boots

I purchased locusmap 3 and it works perfect for my travels, I especially like that it will give you the direction and distance back to the trail/route if you stray too far. Brilliant!

A question though.

When navigating, the second from the top line on the left side shows either two houses, or a high rise building, you can tap them to switch to the other.  It may be two arrows and I can't make out the other icon, it looks like a building of some kind.  Further to the right on the same line at always says
"Unknown street".  I have never seen that change either.

( I moved this question to it's own post. It's under NAVIGATION AND GUIDANCE)

•  

Menion

Hi,

this is a very confusing top panel, agree. I'll think about improvement.

For now
- two small buildings (two up arrows as you wrote) mean "current screen" > so the name of the current street you are riding
- three buildings mean "next street name"
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •