An update of Android crashed my Locus installation again

Started by Bluealek, February 03, 2022, 21:26:39

Bluealek

Today the tablet (Samsung A7) prompted me to install the latest update of Android, and I reluctantly accepted, praying that it doesn't cause havoc with my Locus Map installation again. When this previous new variant of Android 11 was launched, I already had a big move of the maps to the private folder on the SD card, and managed to configure everything to work (although Locus Map had a significant pause every time before it showed the checkmarks screen in the process of initiation). And now, the first time I started it after installing this latest version of Android, it simply doesn't start  :( Has the long pause with a black screen after the "Loading" screen again, but never reaches the checkmarks phase, and just for a brief fraction of a second shows the main app screen (but without the map visible behind), before it exits to desktop. And however many times I try to start it, it's the same over and over again! So great, the "newest" version of Android obviously somehow crashed my Locus Map installation  >:(

Do you have a better suggestion than backing up all the map folders (it will take a while), then uninstalling the app, and reinstalling it again? When I think about the time I'll need to set up everything again, I really feel very, very much pissed off. And I wonder - is this going to happen whenever Google decides to "improve" something in Android? How come other apps don't have the same problem???
  •  

michaelbechtold

Your mentioning 4.6.0 hints you are using LM4 already (subscription) - is that correct?

And can you check which version this update really installed?

In any case, the initial 4.6 message by Menion contains a link to the Google Drive with all versions (4.6, plus earlier ones).

I have 4.5 running on my Tab S6 light (weaker than yours) and the latest 4.x beta on my S10. Never had such problems with those (in Nov I fought troubles like yours, but not since the official 4.5 from Dec. 23rd).

PS: 4.5+ has the All Files Access privilege, which gives you freedom again to put your files in decent places other than private folders.
  •