Locus Map for Garmin

Started by Jan Čapek, April 17, 2019, 10:14:43

Germed

I have tried both, online and offline (just bluetooth connection is on), but after several seconds of delay on the screen of my Venu2 appears IQ with the exlamation mark on it.
I use Locus map pro 3.54.3+locus map for garmin premium 2.0.0 (43) as well as Garmin connect 4.39
  •  

Germed

Hi, finally I have managed to let it work on my Venu 2,
What I did so far (the exact sequence is described): uninstalled Garmin connect IQ from my phone, uninstalled Gramin connect,
Updated Locus map to 3.55.1, Dowloaded Garmin connect 4.39 and installed it, Connected the watch to the Gramin connect on my phone. Started Locus  map on my phone and on the Venu 2. And got no map again, than I switched off the wifi and the data on the phone, leaving just bluetooth, adjusted the permissions of Garmin connect to be abble to access to the geolocation as well as to the files  and installed the last available Garmin connect IQ 2.12.1 as well. Restarted the Locus map on the phone and on the watch, started the wifi and the data on the phone again and finally got it working. Yeah!
  •  

mfink

It seems like the 'Send to Garmin' feature sends a gpx file to the watch. However, this does not allow native garmin turn-by-turn navigation. I think if it was possible to send a fit file with navigation hints instead vof a gpx, this could be solved. Any chance that this is iwill be implemented? Currently, the only way of getting turn-by-turn navigation on Garmin watches is to send a track via Garmin connect, which is annoying :-)
  •  

Jan Čapek

@mfink It sends FIT file to Garmin watch and you can for sure use it to transfer Turn-by-turn instructions. But you must check how you have configured navigation on your Garmin device - it can either utilise this preconfigured TbT or generate its own based on internal map data. If you setup it right, you should have full control of TbT via Locus Map.
  •  

mfink

Hi Jan. Thank you for your reply. I am sure that TBT is working fine when navigation is running on the phone and Locus is sending the alerts to the locus app on the watch. What is unfortunately not working is to get TBT navigation on native garmin apps. So when i send  the track from Locus to my Fenix 6X and start a native Garmin activity from the track, it is not giving me TBT navigation. It only shows the distance to the end of the track.
If you can get this to work, it would be a real killer feature, because it would be the only way of getting TBT from a track that is not synced via Garmin Connect.
  •  

Jan Čapek

I was referring to native garmin nav features. Something is not correctly setuped on your side, because Locus Map for Garmin should not block TbT info in tracks during transfer - although it is long time when I tested this last time.
  •  

mfink

Okay, could of course be that locus packs all the TBT hints into the file but the watch refuses to read them. Garmin often behaves strange, so i think this is not extremely unlikely. What i can tell for sure is that tracks that are synced from Garmin Connect offer TBT and the tracks from Locus Map do not. At least on the Fenix 6X.
I could set the watch to re-calculate the track, i know that this woul give me TBT navigation, but this i want to avoid because it takes forever and sometimes the re-calculate comes up with a different route than i set in the track.
Would be interested what's the difference between the files that come from Garmin Connect compared to the ones that come from Locus. Maybe i can find the files on the watch then we could compare.
  •  

mfink

Okay, it was my fault. Somehow i expected that locus always automatically genarate navigation hints. But i needed to turn them on manually on the route planner.
So all the time i tried to send a route that did not have navigation hints included  ;D
  •  

sbouju

Hi,
Having a look again on the Locus Map for Garmin application, I observ that I can no longer see the current map of Locus on the fenix screen, but just the Garmin one, now.
Did I missed something ?
  •  

mfink

•  
    The following users thanked this post: sbouju

sbouju

Quote from: mfink on January 17, 2022, 18:22:02
Yes, you indeed missed something  :)
https://www.facebook.com/LocusMapForGarmin/posts/239916767929899
Thank you ! And sorry , but not enough to make me sign in to FB ;)
Anyway, I feel not comfortable with a map view on my wrist, even with the fast enough Garmin one...
  •  

mfink

Today I tried for the first time to send a course while my Fenix 6X is in an activity. It was not working. Locus did not come up on the watch. Is that a known issue? And is there a workaround?
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi @mfink , Fenix 6  can't launch other app while running different one - be it either CIQ or native. So you can't do import during activity.
  •  

mfink

Thanks Jan. I can work around it via the gimporter widget. In case there are plans to further enhance the Garmin App, it would be great if you could add a widget version that we can use during an activity  :).
  •  

sbouju

By making the first settings of a new smartphone and trying again to use, even in slightly "degraded" mode (see above...), the Locus Map-Garmin fenix 6X couple, I can no longer manage so that they recognize each other, and only get failure messages on the watch (see under...).
What is the path to follow to make it work again?
I specify at this point that the watch and the smartphone already communicate with each other, of course, for example for synchronizations or real-time monitoring of watch data in Android Garmin Connect.
  •