[APP] - version 4.5.+ ( 1. 12. 2021+ )

Started by Menion, December 01, 2021, 21:06:00

Menion

@Andrew Heard
may you please share with me at least one theme that does not work with the latest Beta version? Everything I tried is working correctly on my device, thanks.

@tapio
lag, hmm. Should be visible loading, I'll look at it. Zipped themes need a little more time compared to directories so there may be a little slowdown when checking available themes. Not during usage, there will be no performance difference!

@slarti76
sorry, any alternative to "default maps dir" is not possible. Technically it is really forced to core defined directory. And why not simply setup "mapsVector" to the private directory on the SD card?

And yes, Android/media directory should be deleted as well once app is un-installed.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

slarti76

Quote from: Menion on December 22, 2021, 08:35:02
@slarti76
sorry, any alternative to "default maps dir" is not possible. Technically it is really forced to core defined directory. And why not simply setup "mapsVector" to the private directory on the SD card?
Yeah, I'll do that now. Still unsure about the performance impact, especially on that slower phone. Perhaps I'll do some tests.

QuoteAnd yes, Android/media directory should be deleted as well once app is un-installed.
That's a inconvenient, but at least we get full access with all file managers, so can just move the folder before uninstall (if it's really unavoidable).
  •  

Menion

Beta version 4.5.5.3 RC

So anyone has any troubles with existing themes in this latest Beta version or generally any other problem, please let me know. I'll publish tomorrow hopefully the latest bug-fix version to Google Play.

Also for Locus Map Pro, unfortunately without "All files access" > Google declined our request already twice in row ::). So I'll try to find a method to generate a custom "Pro" version with this access just for Google Drive download. But this later.

Thanks for the help and these of you, who enjoy some free time and relax over Christmas time, enjoy it ;)

michaelbechtold

Hello Menion,
a well deserved break is nearing ...
But I could  not resist some testing and looking into the logs
One observation is that the SRTM folder (as separate sub-folder on ext SD) is traversed multiple times in the startup process.
I'll have a deeper and more systematic look into the logs later.
Your hint re. external map folder was spot on: there were the pointers to the no longer existing folders. Maybe you can remove them from the internal "memory" once Locus knows they do not exist?
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Menion: different (Geo) apps CAN access /Android/media as reported by different people, also sub-folders of this upper level, without app specific path.
I would hope that a de-install of an app would not remove files and folders on upper /Android/media level, because such folders would not be part of the installation manifest, right?
Like /Android/media/maps and /Andoid/media/mapsVector or /Android/maps/SRTM. I.e. the usual suspects of multi-app usage.
  •  

Menion

@michaelbechtold
Oki fine. There is not everything in the logs, so if there still be unexpected slowdown even after removing the link to this SRTM dir, let me know, we may investigate it deeper ...

"media" dir ... I was thinking also like you, but I've answered based on my common sense. So I expect that when google prohibited access of apps to the root and even file managers to private dirs, why there will be such a hole like the "Android/media" directory. This does not make sense to me to be true  ::). Anyway, because I create app directories manually, there is a change, this dir won't be deleted ... what a stupid Google decision, omg.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Well, maybe Google is not as obstructive as we feared  ;-)

So, private folder on int SD plus mass data folders on ext and/or int SD /Android/media/maps etc. could be a long term stable solution that survives uninstalls plus gives interoperability  with other geo apps without multiplying storage needs.

And your data saving feature for the base folder, which would not have massdata at all, except a potentially large database would secure the rest of uninstall plus new install needs without copying or moving GBs of data and running into capacity issues.

But maybe not in 2021 :-))
  •  

michaelbechtold

PS: re. Google's security argument: when it comes to media (images, videos, ...) such can be loaded with sequences that carry zero day exploits. To be safe, Google would have to remove all galleries, messengers and alike from the phones. Secure, but a bit boring maybe :-)
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Menion: I moved the SRTMs out of the LocusMaps home on ext SD, so they are no longer holding things up.
But still the start takes 5 minutes or so.
Pls. see log attached.
Cheers
Michael

PS: once it comes up, all settings (world map, overlay, vector and other maps) are in the right place and working.
  •  

luce

Hello Menion,

confirm external themes working again (both zipped and not zipped). Thank you!

Little issue: the quick button for the theme "layers" (see red circle) shows only a blank list.

Best, Lucas
  •  

freischneider

Show legend no longer works. Long click on theme shows error message
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

john_percy

Show legend, where the legend is linked to an online page (as with Voluntary) is greyed out on long press menu although the little overlay is shown.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: tapio on December 22, 2021, 07:37:04
Are the xml files on top level inside the zip?
@tapio - thanks for asking - no, the XML file was "down" 1 extra level for each of those theme ZIP files (same format as original theme author); the top level inside each ZIP was just the _theme or <theme name> directory (there has been no detail from @menion on exactly what structure is required here)

So I extracted the files from 1 theme ZIP, removed the top level directory, so XML is @ top level, created a new ZIP, moved to LM4 _theme directory; but with 4.5.5.2_1054 still this green error message "No map with themes is active". I've attached the file for @menion to test (from Bernard @ www.maiwolf.de).

PS. same issue with 4.5.5.3 RC_1054
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

@michaelbechtold
thanks, I probably see something ... again related to HGT files

@luce
super, thanks!

@fresichneider
link to file with the relative path to app root directory worked before? I'm surprised. I expect a relative path within the theme directory. Hmm anyway, I've made it work...

@john_percy
got it, thanks

@Andrew Heard
error "No map with themes is active" has nothing to do with themes. It simply try to tell you, that no vector map is currently selected!
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on December 22, 2021, 23:07:31
error "No map with themes is active" has nothing to do with themes. It simply try to tell you, that no vector map is currently selected!
@menion - well that's very strange - wasn't a problem with 4.5.5.1; only since 4.5.5.2. I am just using ordinary OpenAndroMap vector map (28.11.2021) to test themes. I don't have any raster maps installed. Nothing has changed. What/ how to test next?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •