[APP] - version 4.5.+ ( 1. 12. 2021+ )

Started by Menion, December 01, 2021, 21:06:00

Menion

We will have to find out...

The latest version has a problem with the memory consumption of points & tracks, so I'm working on it now. The new version will be necessary ...

Once all will be correctly set, we may start some performance tests, like maps or app startup times. Thanks for understanding.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

T-mo

changes and scoped storage is nothing really "new"
A11 (Android) here, still Locus 4.4
why? .. .. ..too experimental
  •  

Tapio

Locus exports totally broken gpx files here. Example track has two waypoints and more than 100 trackpoints. This is the result:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<gpx version="1.0" creator="Locus Map, Android"
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:locus="http://www.locusmap.eu"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd">
<wpt lat="51.1234567" lon="7.8901234">
<ele>66.25</ele>
<time>2021-12-09T10:59:01.048Z</time>
<name>Pause: 5 minutes</name>
</gpx>

First occurence of such 400 byte files is Dec. 3rd here. It does not always to this. Not seeing a pattern yet.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

A few days later ... version 4.5.4/3.56.3 is just ready to download from Google Play.

Fixed some start performance issues, import/export of GPX, connection to Galaxy Watches, and many more. Sorry for quite a lot of versions, I just prefer a quick fix instead of keeping bugged version public. Like old days :).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Pcmann, Tapio

arnor

I downloaded and installed version 4.5.4 on my Samsung A52 (Android 11).  Installed was 4.5. Then I moved various folders via the settings to the privatesection on the sd card, including the folder mapsVector (with 20Gb maps).  Since then, turning on or off overlays in themes appears to be very slow.  Can this be solved by reinstalling themes?  I have already restarted the smartphone and also cleared cache.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Same here. Big difference between old access to ext SD card and private section of SD card.
And the start time of Locus 4, even with this very latest version still takes minutes. (And no, it's not 208 vector maps ...)
  •  

arnor

Minutes....? It took me exact 30 seconds. Long, but not that long.  In any case, it was much shorter.
  •  

michaelbechtold

•  

lor74cas

Hi,
I found in the locus/data/sensors folder more than 100 small files that contain a single line of text like this:
"SENSORS, VERSION 1.0, 2021-12-08T18: 06: 57.508Z, Central European Standard Time (2.0h)"
they take up little space and are not a big deal, but it seems strange to me.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

michaelbechtold

@Menion: a recent report from another user shows that he also got stuck with "no enough space" when trying to migrate.
And this is only the tips of the iceberg. Michal reports that you are losing users by the 100s, ratings plummeting etc. Enough reason to improve the migration process further. Here a simple suggestion:

In the migration, you keep the storage device as it was before. Then you never run into space limitations (as discuissed many weeks ago, you are MOVING the files now rather than COPY).
That means: if someone has 20 GB in extSD/MyFavoriteLocusMaps, they will end up in extSD/Android/data/menion.android.locus/MyFavoriteLocusMaps. For the other mass data (SRTM, maps) same approach. You should also offer check boxes for each of the three, so user has control. SRTM data e.g. is another typical example for multi app usage.
Problems solved. No loss, no angry users.
  •  

slarti76

I just started trying it out on my tab (not ready to dare it on my outdoor phone). It works well, within the constraints, of course. I only now realized that I can't sync Locus data via SyncThing - for example, I synced my Locus/data/media folder like that, but SyncThing doesn't accept Android/data/xxx as source. Thank you Google!  >:(

Anyway, one more question about the storage space change:
You offer to switch between internal and external SD for specific directories. However, would it be possible to use both, at least for maps? Or is that prohibited by Google, too? I do have a lot of maps, currently the most used on intSd, the others on extSd. Of course it would all fit on extSd, but especially the OruxMaps format (database) are faster from intSd. So it would be great if there's a way to use both at the same time. You don't even have to provide an organizing tool, at least not urgently - I can move the data without problems by attaching the MicroSD to my Windows machine. So no changes in the UI, there's still the "main" directory for maps and mapsVector, just also use the data from the not-selected directory if there is any. Possible?
  •  

michaelbechtold

I have the main folder on intSD, maps and mapsVector on extSD.
But I also have a few maps on the resp. intSD as well. And Locus finds them all. This gives enough flexibility.
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 11, 2021, 14:02:19
I have the main folder on intSD, maps and mapsVector on extSD.
But I also have a few maps on the resp. intSD as well. And Locus finds them all. This gives enough flexibility.
That's interesting - I couldn't try that, because when updating, I chose the intSd as main directory. After that, changing the folder for maps or mapsVector makes Locus move the data unconditionally. How did you do it?
I guess I could first move away the maps from the intSd folder, than change the directory in Locus, then move the maps back on the intSd - is that what you did?
  •  

michaelbechtold

In fact I hit the wrong button in x-plore and deleted most vector maps, which were old anyway. But which made the migration easier for Locus.
If you have large volume of maps on ext SD and chose int SD as standard, most probably you will be blocked by "not enough space". I had that in beta  ...
When you want to have both, int and ext SD employed, then your approach will work, because x-plore, TC and Solid Explorer and USB PC connect will work for int SD on most devices
  •  

michaelbechtold

PS: after that Locus will download all maps LoMaps and OAM (vector and raster for world) to the ext SD, While you control ont SD manually
  •