Android 11+, changes

Started by Menion, November 26, 2021, 12:13:57

balloni55

@michaelbechthold
QuoteUpdate: Total Commander allows WRITING into the INTERNAL SD private folder (hence more powerful than Solid Explorer or x-plore - interesting).
for me it´s possible to write also with  X-plore to INTERNAL SD private folder
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

michaelbechtold

TXs, Wolfgan. Was late last night, and I mistook external for internal.
So, while this is nice, it does not help offloading large non-vector maps to external.

@Menion: can you PLEASE do the same thing that you did for mapsVector also for maps?
Also it seems that you look for mapsVector on internal although it is configured to external SD.

So, writing to the configured location, but always reading from both locations is the most powerful approach. And easy to implement ...

Thank you.
  •  

michaelbechtold

App Data Transfer: there are two entries with the same title doing opposite things. Not good.

But how on earth can Locus WRITE to the root folder? Is that the grandfathering of an existing installation?

Would this go away after a re-install?
  •  

Menion

@balloni55
Adding OAM is easy thanks to integrated direct download from OAM to Locus. Just use the method that directly downloads maps from the web, not manually.

@michaelbechtold
As I wrote before:

File-browsers with "External storage" permissions can usually

- read/write to all directories in the root of internal/external memory

- read/write to all app private directories (Android/data/) in the internal memory thanks to the small known hack (that I believe will be patched in one of the coming Android versions). So not all filebrowsers are able to do this!

- read (maybe), but 100% no write to all app private directories (Android/data/) in the external storage.
There is no known method that is able to bypass Android integrated security for now.

From our internal testing, you may easily connect the phone with a cable to the PC and copy data manually over the PC! No need to ADB!!

Thanks for the detailed long post. We will think about possible improvements.

Slowness you and others noticed will be most probably caused by the computing of "Used disk space". With the new Google system this tiny operation took really loooong. Unfortunately. I'll look at it.

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 03, 2021, 09:30:04
App Data Transfer: there are two entries with the same title doing opposite things. Not good.
Where?

Quote from: michaelbechtold on December 03, 2021, 09:30:04
But how on earth can Locus WRITE to the root folder? Is that the grandfathering of an existing installation?

Would this go away after a re-install?
I'm a little out of context here, sorry. A better explanation is needed.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

TXs Menion.
File browser thing clear, and also seen it in practise now.
PC connect to Windows is also easy as you write and successfully tested.

The last two topics relate to settings - maps - standard folders - file manager.

After migration to private internal two new entries appeared under "App Data Transfer"
There is the naming problem.
And the option of Locus writing to root folder. Grandfathering of existing install?
  •  

michaelbechtold

The naming duplicate is in German.
My English Locus install on S10 I will not touch for now.
  •  

michaelbechtold

English is OK. Translation error ...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

tramp20

Quote from: Menion on December 03, 2021, 10:28:25

- read (maybe), but 100% no write to all app private directories (Android/data/) in the external storage.
There is no known method that is able to bypass Android integrated security for now.

I have a rooted LOS 18.1 phone and this (most unknown) path helped almost every time with every app:

See attachment
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

"root" ... oki  :)

This topic is partially covered in the new version topic, but it still has its purpose > focus on the file-system. So cross-post to new Beta: https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7632.msg65883#msg65883 ... if you find a moment, give it a try and test new "maps" and "mapsOnline" setup if it works as expected. Thanks guys!
  •  

michaelbechtold

WHERE IS MY MAPS ON internal sd ??? GONE!
To the external SD structure. Worked like a charm. The online thing I want to keep internal.
  •  

Tapio

Migration of maps and mapsonline worked flawlessly. As mentioned, percentage indicator is not optimal if it only changes once per file.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

@michaelbechtold
you lost some maps or how should I understand your post?
  •  

freischneider

@Menion: you write so that it is important with the cards so that they are internal, because the internal memory is faster.  I also thought so and have them internally. I also have the database internally.
But now there is little space and I have the SRTM elevation data on the external SD card. Have there also much LIDAR (need more space).

Question: How important is the speed for the elevation data ?
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Menion on December 05, 2021, 12:50:56
@michaelbechtold
you lost some maps or how should I understand your post?

That was a happy fun message, documenting success. They were gone from the old location /1st line) and ended up at the target (2nd) sentence.

Sorry for the confusion.

Summarizing the experience and discussions from the last weeks:
- the current support for SRTM, mapsVector, maps for both, INT and EXT SD private space is powerful enough to help all use cases, i.e. map storage needs, capacities etc. - well done! A big THANK YOU!
- the backup to ANY folder, even outside private space is great - although I do not understand how you could escape the Android 11+/API 30 limitations. Well, these are not files with need for random access (like DBs and maps); maybe that helped. Will it survive Google "fixes" (below the level of yet another storage model) ?
- the GPX export to the backup location would be really nice
- guiding the community of users who are not able to help themselves to make the right choices is the gap I see
Fingers crossed ...
Cheers
Michael

•  

Tapio

Quote from: freischneider on December 06, 2021, 10:20:44Question: How important is the speed for the elevation data ?
I'm using them on ext sd quite a while and noticed no problem at all.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •