Versions
1. 12. 2021 - Locus 4.5.0
6. 12. 2021 - Locus 4.5.1
... uff
10. 12. 2021 - Locus 4.5.4
17. 12. 2021 - Locus 4.5.5
23. 12. 2021 - Locus 4.5.6
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion,
can you pls. state your findings clearly re. EXISTING usage of root level map folders on internal and external SD (i.e. no re-install).
The question behind the question is, if an update will screw up the Locus install into unusable because of capacity limits (maps distributed on both, internal and external SD).
You mentioned in one post that the API 30 would tolerate existing access. But for how long?
There is need for clarity before people dare an update ...
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

Menion

Sure ...

Situation is:
- you have installed any of the older versions running on so-called API 29 (so anything before 4.5.0)
- then you update on any new version 4.5.0+
- system grants a special exception to this "update"! to access app old data in the root of the external memory. I was not able to find out if there is any time limit, but I think it isn't. This exception is not granted for new installs. So in case, you re-install the app, it lost this kind of access.
- question is, if any future update of the app does not remove this exception as well, I hope it doesn't. Anyway, because it is not described correctly on Google dev sites, we rather push users to transfer data into private dir as soon as possible.

Is my explanation clear?

Btw. did you notice that the latest version allows moving "mapsVector" into SD card/private directory?
  •  

michaelbechtold

TXs for your quick response, Menion.

As I was not sure about the risks, but had understood well that there is no way back, I avoided betas this time (other than all the betas before since years ...)

I will try on by A11 tablet next week. But let me also understand what below "btw" means in detail:
does this mean that ONLY the mapsvector could be moved to external SD private folder, while the other Locus folders go to the internal SD private folder?
Or did I misunderstand here?
  •  

Menion

Do a backup of whole "Locus" folder if you want to be sure.

Anyway, you understand it well. Based on the push in the last few days, I was looking at how to do it and found that it won't be so hard at all. So now, the app offers move of custom directories with new options and it looks like this (check screenshot).

On the A11+, the third option won't be available of course.

michaelbechtold

Really COOL, Menion, TXs a lot !!

Related question: if I (need to) put some maps into this external SD private folder, would it still be possible to ADD (via map manager) a folder that is a subfolder of the main Locus structure on internal SD private folder? Solid Explorer, x-plore or adb/PC needed for populating that extra folder with maps, that is understood.
  •  

Tapio

When I click "Set backup directory" to "App default" a message box with frightening terminology appears: "Reset preferences to default values". This sounds like the whole preferences are reset. Better use terminology already in place. "Set backup directory to App Default?".
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Tapio

Will you add other folders to the int/ext system? My Maps folder is pretty big (3gb because mbtiles, Geonames 1+ Gb).

Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

michaelbechtold

@tapio
I agree re. the wodring with unclear semantics.
When it comes to backup folder: on my test device I have the Locus main folder on internal SD, so I put the backup folder on external SD. Migration worked like a charm.

I fully agree that the maps folder needs to have the same flexibility as the mapsVector one.
And same applies to the export folder!
  •  

michaelbechtold

@tapio: I just put my W1-11 MBtiles world map into the EXTERNAL SD private mapsVector folder.
Locus did recognize it :-)) May be not academic approach, but I do not care as long as it works.

@Menion: two things:
1) although my Tab is fully migrated, it stays at "Initializing" for minutes. For nothing.
You mentioned that the full storage capacity overview is extremely time consuming.
But once an installation is migrated, there should be no need for such exercise, right?
2) re. above: as you have the migration code at hand anyway, it would be easy to offer an INTprivate <-> EXTprivate copy function. That would not turn Locus into a file manager, but rather help the poor users to manage their capacity more easily. Fully compliant with crazy Google :-)
  •  

Menion

New Beta MapGooglePlay_4.5.0.1_1046_beta

Changes
- support for maps & mapsOnline directories movable between internal/external private directories
- alternative version of the turn off method, more in news, needs to enable in bottom of expert settings & field tests

@michaelbechtold
1) hard to say, there should not be check you describe, but seems it will need a special version with some special logs ....
2) for anything other then selected directories? (now backup, all kind of maps, srtm)

michaelbechtold

Cool - really quick progress, Menion!

Happy to run a special test version for the slow start issue. Here some more food upfront:
- status "Initializing" is associated with 11% progress. There it rests for minutes. Also after new Locus starts
- this happened with very few maps only in the whole system
- and also happens with some douzen maps (OAM all of Europe), for which you see nice progress in % after the 11% stop point is overcome.
  •  

michaelbechtold

PS: the external SD location for the export directory for the GPX would be important, too.
In particular for silver and free.
  •  

Menion

Why is the "export" directory important? Does it make difference if exported data are in the internal or external private directory? I'll look at it later. I believe that "export" should be improved in a similar way like "backup" works > so directly into the root of int/ext storage. It will just need a little more work ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

export is the poor men's backup of tracks. Hence the database and the export folder have to be on different storage, I think.

One other funny finding: before you put the maps on ext. SD in place, I had downloaded some vectore maps, without thinking about proper structure.
Now I tried x-plore to move the things - and it worked.
Next I tried to copy some other unrelated file from ext. SD into the Locus structure - it WORKED!
Next I tried to copy any file from int. SD to the Locus ext. SD place - bummer!
Also creating and moving folders on ext. SD works with x-plore.
  •