Tracking settings

Started by geoffmozz, October 17, 2021, 16:30:00

geoffmozz

Could someone explain the Trackpoint recording conditions please?
I'm not 100% clear on how these work. Thanks :-)

eg I will typically want to record a track with a regular 2 second track point interval
OR a consistent 10 metre track point interval.

The manual says -
Trackpoint recording conditions defines method of trackpoint recording based on distance and time intervals:
Distance AND time - both intervals at once trigger trackpoint recording - smoother line but less accurate
Distance OR time - one of the intervals triggers trackpoint recording - very accurate but a lot of trackpoints recorded
https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:tracks:recording:profiles_settings
  •  

Menion

Hi,
sure

AND ... both conditions need to be met. So in case 10m AND 2s, you need to move 10+ meters AND the time interval have to be above 2sec to record a point.

OR ... one of the conditions is enough. So when you move 10+ meters OR just wait 2second, the point will be recorded.

Better?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: geoffmozz

geoffmozz

Yep....I think so. Thanks.

Let me check.
-------------------------------
So if I want to record a track of a hike with a track point every 10 metres I should go for

Trackpoint recording condition: Distance OR time.
Distance interval: 10m
Time interval: 10,000s

Then unless I stop moving for a very long time (!) the track will only include track points regularly spaced at 10m intervals.
If I want to record a track of a hike with a track point every 2 seconds I should go for...

Trackpoint recording condition: Distance OR time.
Distance interval: 10000m
Time interval: 2s

That guarantees track points every 2 seconds and would generate 1800 track points in the same place if I stopped for an hour.
  •  

Menion

Yes, your two options & setup are correct.

Just a note: don't rely on distance "10 meters". GPS location is usually jumping when you standing still and the button "Record only when moving" is not yet too reliable. So even with these settings, expect some points recorded when you stand. Give it a try and you will see.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: geoffmozz

geoffmozz

Thanks....I realise that a 10m interval will likely generate extra points when I'm still.  Not quite as many as a track interval of 2 seconds though :-)

I'm a happy bunny now. Thanks very much.  I just wanted to be completely clear that my understanding was good.

LM4 is a great app and the more I see of other apps the more I appreciate Locus Map 4. Please don't change it's focus on being a great navigation tool :-)

•  

Menion

Perfect. Feel free to ask if something more won't be clear! And no worry, the app will always be an advanced tool for various adventures :)
  •