Locus Map Gold is too dark

Started by Wole, June 12, 2021, 16:08:19

michaelbechtold

Was a bit late for that. To emulate sun light, I manually set the brightness to MAX.
I can test tomorrow morning with the real sun ...
  •  

Wole

Hi Michael,
I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say with your test.

Should the procedure be repeated every time?
Will the brightness be fully maintained during the runtime?

The fact is that LM 3 runs great without any further settings, while LM 4 causes the problems.

Here, in my opinion, Menion is asked to adapt LM 4 in such a way that it also runs without further ado.

One more question: where do you set "Locus always on"?

Thank you for your efforts.
  •  

jonny.blue

I can test tomorrow morning with the real sun ...

I'm excited to see if you can reproduce it ... for me it only happens in direct sun light.

And that's unfortunately while walking or biking outside ... 🙄
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
thanks for the tests. I'm still surprised that nobody on our official help desk reported this issue (we have there X-times more reported problems than here to be true).

I was able to probably simulate this issue on older SGS7 with Android 8. All other devices (older Huawei, Pixel 2, 5, ...) work without any issue ...

... and I have absolutely! no idea why this may happen. I search the whole code for any place where by accident app should handle with device brightness, but no such place exists. Uff
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

@Wole: go to settings, use the search function (top right) and enter the word always. Tap the right hit.
I have this option in my quick settings, BTW.

@all: I reran the tests on S10 and Tab S6 light - same results for both Apps. Darkening only when nearing the Android screen timeout.

Have those who suffer from the issue tried to use "Always on"? On my devices it does override the Android screen timeouts. And when you switch off the screen manually, a double tap brings back Locus.
  •  

jonny.blue

Today I found an interesting behaviour while testing this problem.

In direct sun system sets brightness to maximum level (I don't know if there is a setting to specify a maximum point but on my system I can choose 100%).

My test situation:
- direct position to sun (only then the problem occurs)
- deactivate adaptive brightness (to change level manualy)

LM Pro:
- react on every level from dark to full brightness

LM4:
- reacts only in the lower area.
My S10 ( don't know if Samsung or Android specific) has a blue slider up to approximately 75% and then it changed to red plus a system warning that battery may drain.
LM4 reacts on the change up to this 75% level. Above this there is no visible change in brightness. It stays on the level of 75%.
While running LM4 in this state the whole system isn't allowed to go over this level.

Maybe there's a permission needed to go above this 'blue' level.

Hope this helps to find a repeatable test scenerio ... and sometime a solution.
  •  

JackRussel

Quote from: jonny.blue on July 24, 2021, 09:35:42
LM4 reacts on the change up to this 75% level. Above this there is no visible change in brightness. It stays on the level of 75%.
While running LM4 in this state the whole system isn't allowed to go over this level.
Same here.

If I starts LM4, the brightness is for example 100%. Immediately, the brightness count continuously drops below the red level (75% ??). The whole system does not go above this level at this time (75%).

When I put LM4 in the background, the brightness increases independently and continuously to 100%.
This takes about 10 to 20 seconds

I can show that with a brightness meter.
  •  

freischneider

Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

jonny.blue

Just to clarify:
the slider can be moved and remains in every position.
But above 75% with LM4 brightness doesn't increase anymore.
  •  

freischneider

I looked again today. Samsung S8 with LM4. In direct sun I have 100% brightness.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

jonny.blue

I have 100% brightness.

How did you measure this?
  •  

jonny.blue

Just checked my TabS7 ... and there is the issue too. 😰

Didn't detect this earlier because normaly I don't use the tablet in direct sun.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi all, Jonny's description of his test by explicitly moving the brightness slider made me do the same tonight (it is easier to judge brightness if there is no disturbing light around to distort the eyes).
My findings are:
1) indeed with LM4 the brightness increase stops just when reaching the red bar and does not change beyond
2) with LMP, the increase continues into the red range
3) HOWEVER, the ABSOLUTE brightness achieved with LM4 seems the same (if not better) as with LMP. Compare yourselves (images taken with an A52, at the same place, around the same time).

No one question could come: would an Android device really put more energy into screen brightness at 100%, with whatever LM, only because there is sun around? I heavily doubt.

I think we have to be VERY cautious to make sure we compare apples to apples in a reproducible way.

Cheers and have a nice weekend
Michael

PS: I had to scale them down, as the 2 MB restriction for uploads hit ...
  •  

jonny.blue

only because there is sun around? I heavily doubt.

... but this is the only constellation where the problem occurs: in direct sun where system itselves scales up to highest brightness.
  •  

Wole

I think we're getting away from the problem now.

The problem does not occur in the shade, at dusk or at night, but when I use the app during the day and the sun is shining.

Otherwise there are no brightness problems.

Apparently Menion has now recognized the problem, which in my opinion should occur with all Samsung users (see his article).

I hope he can find a solution. In any case, LM 4 cannot be used on Samsung devices.

I used my Blackview 9700 pro yesterday. LM 4 runs great here and does not differ in brightness from LM 3.
  •