Web planner / portal

Started by Menion, February 12, 2021, 20:32:44

lor74cas

One of the most important things when you are outdoors is water. In the screens you can see that even if there are two fountains nearby, selecting the first search result which should theoretically be the closest sends me more than 50km away.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Radim V

francisco

+ 1 to POIs in the web portal
+ 1 to map layers in the web portal
(see how Gaia does it)
Planning tracks in web portal (computer) is a plus, much more easy that in a phone or tablet. But many of us have lots of POIs and are used for planning.
Today only tracks are synced with web portal.
Also for planning an adventure map satellite layers are fundamental in the web portal. 
Without those 2 upgrades web portal has very limited usefulness.
You are doing a good job
But you need increase substantially the development effort for a limited time, because now is not beta, is payed... And my evaluation of your effort changed dramatically with that little detail...
  •  

Radim V

Quote from: lor74cas on April 01, 2021, 09:28:40
One of the most important things when you are outdoors is water. In the screens you can see that even if there are two fountains nearby, selecting the first search result which should theoretically be the closest sends me more than 50km away.
Thanks for reporting this. The problem here is: Currently the search only uses "names", so only the objects that have the term "water" or similar among their names in two languages ("local" language and "English" in this case) are found. The two nearby fountains are not named at all - "Drinking water" is the overall category of them. More complex search using keywords is needed here. It is already done internally. Sorting: we don't think sorting based on distance entirely is a way to go. More content (Wikipedia, user related) is coming, so "close calls in terms of distance" are resolved based on content.
  •  

Tapio

I have a "planned" folder with many tracks which I plan to go. They are created with the Apps route planner mostly. Will I be able to edit those tracks, just like I can re-edit them in route planner? I.e. shaping points etc. Was totally expecting this to be possible in web planner.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Hi.  My first impressions of the planner (with Gold) are quite good!  A few thoughts:

It'd be great if the planner could start at the previously-used location, rather than Europe as default.  (Of course, I could just bookmark the URL.)

Trying to move from Europe to my city in Canada, I tried a search for "Edmonton".  The search icon never became enabled (does it ever?), and the suggestions that popped up for "Edm" as I typed all seemed to be for the displayed area, Europe.  By the time I'd finished typing "Edmonton, ab" (which my fingers automatically type to center OSM), all suggestions were gone and the search icon was still not enabled.  (Two different browsers and platforms.)  This is minor.

Unfortunately, the planner uses web fonts for widgets.  I disable website fonts for readability, and this forced me to find a Firefox extension to toggle the setting. I'll have to keep toggling every time I enter/leave the planner.

Now a crazy idea: geocaches as an overlay.  Groundspeak uses a predictable URL format, including an encrypted parameter string that appears tied to your ID but doesn't seem to ever expire.  This is the overlay used in their web "browse" map.  I use it in JOSM (see attached) to see where the trails need more attention.  So...
Crazy Idea Level 1:  allow overlays with custom URLs.  (Security risk?  Don't know.  Useful?  Yes.)
Crazy Idea Level 2: offer geocaches as a special Gold feature, just click the checkbox ... with Groundspeak's cooperation of course.

...because many of us plan our routes from one cache to the next.  :)
  •  

lor74cas

• In the stats panel elevation gain/loss is in km, when over the 1000m, please use always meters
  • even if correctly logged in, the icon remains anonymous
  • the altimetry graph must also be displayed on the tracks opened in cluod, not only on those created with the planner
  • top bar with "locus map beta, THE APP, PLANNER ..." is not necessary and steals space, it would be appropriate to hide it like the other panels
  • for a more accurate altimetry calculation I hope you use the 1" srtm files where available
There are several things to fix, but overall it's very responsive and easy to use
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

dyoghenes

I absolutely love the web planner and that I can manage my routes and tracks on a big screen.
One question: I turned off navigation hints in the mobile app, could it be possible to do the same for routes created in the web planner?
  •  

janaton

@lor74cas
1) Clean all btn confirmation - Yes, it makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
2) Use metres only for elevation gain/loss - We will consider it. Please, what is the motivation for you (precision, ..)?
3) Logged in but icon still anonymous - I do not understand. Please, could you give me more info: Thx
4) Elevation chart for saved tracks - sure, it is in progress and should be there soon.
5) Hiding top bar - Good idea, we will consider it but for now more important tasks are on the list :)
6) More accurate altimetetry calculation - this is more related to the routing itselft. Please, ask here: https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7202.0

@jajaballard
1) Switching profiles - Your use case makes sense. We do not plan to change the current behavior but we will try to find some way to enable recalculating all segments using particular profile

@Andrew Heard
1) Brouter UX - sure, this is also one of our inspiration source. Please, if you want to add some idea for implementation, there is newly created space for it. Please, add it there and collect votes :). - https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/30/sort/new_updated/page/1
2) No preview - web planner is generating thumbnail only when saving planned route to your library. Preview image is synced from your device and used on the web. If preview is missing, it is missing and "No preview" is displayed

@francisco
1) Ideas - great, most of them is already collected here - https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/30/sort/new_updated/page/1 so you can vote to help us prioritize :)
2) Increase development effort - believe me that there is quite a lot of development happening. Unfortunatelly, not everything is easily visible in the UI. Regarding webplanner BETA - yes, you are right that we have a lot of to improve here. On the other hand web planner is only one piece of puzzle of premium GOLD plan ...

@tapio
1) Showing multiple tracks - yes, it is planned. Thanks a lot for creating idea on helpdesk
2) Preview image - this was intended to be consistent with the app. We could consider optionally hiding it and saving some space. If you would really like this implemented, please, create idea for it so it can be discussed and collect votes (so we can give it a priority).Thx
3) Embedded WP - thx
4) Blue color of own tracks - yes, it is confusing. But honestly, it is really hard to find some universal color which won't clash with some color in the map and will have good contrast with the map.
5) Edit of tracks - sure, this will be possible. It is on our list but no yet implemented. The best way to put more priority on this is to create idea and collect votes  - https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/30/sort/new_updated/page/1

@Žajdík Josef
1) Statistics of longer routes - This should be solved once collapsing of waypoints is implemented
2) Elevation/Slope - good idea. Could you please create idea for it so it can collect votes? https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/30/sort/new_updated/page/1
3) Customized profile - this is something we would like to add but I do not see it comming in the nearest feature.
4) Change of planning profile - Already on our list and should be implemented soon
5) Missing solar power plants in the map - thanks. I will forward ti to the LoMaps author.

@gergy
1) Missing elevation gain and loss - this was already added so you can check it ;)
2) Detail of online LoMaps - I am not author of it. I will forward this to him. Generally, it would be best to ask in dedicated thread - https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7191.0. Thanks :)

@Frivold
1) Difference between online and offlien LoMaps - Ideally it should be the same map but there are a little different  source data that are used for rendering so some differences will be there. But I am not the creator of maps. Better to ask in dedicated thread for more detailed answer - https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7191.0
2) Holes in the map - known issue which was already reported to the provider of source data. We are waiting for the solution. Until then we can, unfortunately, do nothing about it :/

@zossebart
1) Elevation chart missing for saved tracks - yes, it is not a bug. This was not implemented, yet. This is one of my top priorities tasks so it should be available soon :).

@Viajero Perdido
1) Start location - if you give browser permission to use your location then start location should be near you. Anyway we are thinking about improvement here (I - saving your last location to browser memory and using when you reload browser or II - automatically figuring out approximate location based on IP address).
2) Search - We had some issues there. Please, try now, it should work (finding "Edmonton"). But keep in mind that search gives preference  to results near your current location. So if you are searching "Edmonton" from Europe then you will need to write almost whole name to have it in results ..
3) Usage of webfonts - yes, that's true. I see it as a standard practice. Don't you have problem also on other webs?
4) Displaying geocaches in the overlay - I am almost sure that "using" Groundspeak data won't be possible. But I guess your use case is to see your points on the map (e.g. imported geocaches). This is planned feature and should come in next few months.

@dyoghenes
Thanks a lot!
1) Excluding navigation hints - yes, it makes sense. I have this on my list but it is not high priority for us right now. ETA could be months. To give it more priority, please, create idea and collect votes for it :) - https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/30/sort/new_updated/page/1

lor74cas

Quote from: janaton on April 07, 2021, 13:01:57
@lor74cas

2) Use metres only for elevation gain/loss - We will consider it. Please, what is the motivation for you (precision, ..)?
3) Logged in but icon still anonymous - I do not understand. Please, could you give me more info: Thx
4) Elevation chart for saved tracks - sure, it is in progress and should be there soon.
5) Hiding top bar - Good idea, we will consider it but for now more important tasks are on the list :)
6) More accurate altimetetry calculation - this is more related to the routing itselft. Please, ask here: https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7202.0

2) The altitude is always expressed in meters, the height of the mountains for example is in meters the k2 measures 8611 meters I have never seen it described as the 8.6 km high mountain. It is a practice, for hikers, mountaineers, runners, cyclists ...

3) When I am logged in, in my case for example, the image / icon associated with my account on Google appears, the same one you see associated with my profile on this forum.

6) I was just asking, do you "use the 1" srtm files where available"?
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker

lor74cas

I report a strange behavior in the elevation gain calculation:
1)in the web planner while I was creating my track the statistics panel reported 1.18 elevation gain.
2)After saving the trace in cloud the statistics panel has been updated to 1.68.
3)I then synced in the app. The stats on the device reported 1125
4)I used the altitude update function so I now have a value of 1024.

No value other than point 1 makes sense except at point 4 where I used the update function (I have the srtm 1" files on the phone). I would have expected to always have the point 1 value also at 2 and 3.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

janaton

@lor74cas
1) Altitude always in metres - thanks for opening this topic. I have already changed this so you can check it in web planner.
2) Profile icon - thanks for the clarification. I added this on my list
3) Srtm files - I am receiving elevation data from the routing server and I don't know what is used internally for the calculation. I have asked @Radim V so probably he can give you more accurate answer
4) Different elevation gain stats - there must be somehting really wrong. I have tried it to reproduce and I was not able to see more than 1 meter difference (rounding issue between browser and backend). Could you share particular example of track where this is happening? Thanks a lot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

hbl2bk

It seems that I'm to stupid to find the legend for the map visible in the web planner. What do the red, green, blue and cyan colours mean for paths and ways?
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: janaton on April 08, 2021, 17:00:56
@lor74cas
1) Altitude always in metres - thanks for opening this topic. I have already changed this so you can check it in web planner.
2) Profile icon - thanks for the clarification. I added this on my list
3) Srtm files - I am receiving elevation data from the routing server and I don't know what is used internally for the calculation. I have asked @Radim V so probably he can give you more accurate answer
4) Different elevation gain stats - there must be somehting really wrong. I have tried it to reproduce and I was not able to see more than 1 meter difference (rounding issue between browser and backend). Could you share particular example of track where this is happening? Thanks a lot
1) thank you it works
4) BEFORE 1033 POSITIVE GAIN
https://web.locusmap.app/en/?planner=KYOwPgzgbggg9gBwH4F8AaKDSB3OABYARwBEBzAVwDE4BbAOVKgHUIBvSgTwEM6JCAhFFACiEANb8aKMgBkAxgCcYNACYwA+lDzYZYAC7CEAJTA08pDgGFyYAOLqaAVQA2UALJ7SMAGYpLACz0AKXJCWzkIIIADAC8AeRAIGBioywAPACtLMXUYUiYM5zcogE0Yrjwwf2s9Sq0kAEsAXRAMgB1vOQA1fxpbDgzhdRQ8DhAAZRAGgElvf34QdX4ufxgwUgI4SwBumTgmLmcxBpBSAG49g6OT88vD49OL-fubp6uH2+frx7vvz-fXr8Pm8Xj8vsCgYDwVCAWDYZ8ABINCFwJEotFQjFgrGI5GYvHYgm49FEp44smk7ZAA

and after 1133 POSITIVE GAIN
https://web.locusmap.app/en/?shared_track=NGIxYWMwOGItNmQ5Ny00YjM4LThkYjEtNzcxNDBiM2E3MzczOmIyZjVlOGRlLTY1MTQtNDFjZS04MzdiLTA1MGU0ZGNhNmNkMA..

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: janaton

Radim V

Hi,
@lor74cas
Elevation data for routing: we have altered brouter internals to use our company maintained dataset, which combines enhanced SRTM source (viewfinderpanorama) and some Lidar sources. However the resolution is 3'' only.

lor74cas

Quote from: Radim V on April 09, 2021, 08:54:51
Hi,
@lor74cas
Elevation data for routing: we have altered brouter internals to use our company maintained dataset, which combines enhanced SRTM source (viewfinderpanorama) and some Lidar sources. However the resolution is 3'' only.

I therefore suggest you to update the data with the more detailed ones at 1 "where available. Your servers will not suffer from a few more gigs of space occupied and a few more seconds of CPU usage, but you will give a more accurate data to everyone.
In my experience of use, 3 "is sufficient for road use (car, bike), but in the mountains 1" is better if, for example, you walk on the edge of a mountain ridge.
After all, the app allows the use of 1 "srtm (for the user it is only a matter of space occupied) on the cloud / web instead we should always have the best option.
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker