Locus Map 4, discussion (pre-release)

Started by Menion, March 18, 2021, 13:00:40

michaelbechtold

I fully agree re. the value you get for the silver and gold subscriptions. And hey, it's less than a beer or a prosecco!
But I also agree with the family aspect our Aussi friend has laid out. This should get fixed.
Just my 2c.
Cheers
Michael

slarti76

Quote from: michaelbechtold on March 19, 2021, 16:28:56
But I also agree with the family aspect our Aussi friend has laid out. This should get fixed.
Just my 2c.
One solution could be to add his Google account on the phones of his family and chose that account for Locus. Not sure if there's any restrictions, and of course this has the added danger of the kids buying apps with father's account (well, a password should help against that), but I think that's legal and acceptable, isn't it?
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: slarti76 on March 19, 2021, 16:31:14
Quote from: michaelbechtold on March 19, 2021, 16:28:56
Just my 2c.
One solution could be to add his Google account on the phones of his family and chose that account for Locus. Not sure if there's any restrictions, and of course this has the added danger of the kids buying apps with father's account (well, a password should help against that), but I think that's legal and acceptable, isn't it?
I also find the prices completely fine. There drink a beer or Capuccino a month less and have a top app with all subtleties and always up-to-date and secure data.

An idea for the family. Create a Google Account and only use Locus Map. This account uses the family for Locu. The other apps with the old account.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Thank you, I think Andrew will be pleased too.  I'm already looking forward to version 4.
  •  

Menion

Thanks guys. Nice to read that at least a few people won't be so angry because of this change :).

Btw. Google is blocking new releases because of the invalid form we send to validate that the app needs background location for a valid reason. So probably few days delay  :-\
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

T-mo

even though I got my troubles with the change to subscription, the prices are well done and I lost my troubles :) That is due to the fact that you are really well caring, we all know and love and join, and push :), and the prices.
Well, the current situation clearly shows - there has to be a proper solution for families.
Better Locus than any other crapp.
E.g. if it's about live-tracking, for security concerns, that should be possible for members with propper intents.
8)
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 18, 2021, 22:41:20
if our family currently has say 2 phones, 2 tablets, does that mean 4 x ~$A40 each year?

Please don't get me wrong - I did say... "I'll be the 1st to admit I've had extremely good value from Locus over the years with one app purchase, a few months of live tracking, and very cheap LoMaps."

Quote from: Menion on March 19, 2021, 15:15:55
This is the point > to have the same data on ALL devices and on the web > for this, a single paid account is needed.

@Menion I think your reply to Žajdlík Josef above answers my question. Maybe I don't need 4 Silver or Gold subscriptions for all the devices, just "a single paid account is needed."?

If this app had been around 40 years ago when I started work it would have cost $100,000's to buy!
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

I used the Google Drive v4 version as my main Version and uninstalled LM3. I just hope whatever I will install now (gotta read all the subscription related info) - hope that technically it still works and hope there's no folder chaos.

Looked at the subscriptions, seem very affordable, from my 1-phone-perspective at least. I know there'll be a lot of discussion again though. Stay strong, Menion 😊
I will go for Gold. Do not really need it because I don't do Livetracking or sync/web planner (yet). But full Lomaps is attractive. Silver seems a risk for the business, because reckon it's good enough for most of us.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Diddi

Saturo

I don´t need LoMaps, LoPoints or anything of that. 40$ per Year is much to expensive.
I keep on using the version i have bought.
Good luck with your business plan!

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

slarti76

Quote from: Saturo on March 20, 2021, 09:13:46
I don´t need LoMaps, LoPoints or anything of that. 40$ per Year is much to expensive.
I disagree, but I do have to say that one drawback compared to Google Play is that prices cannot beadjusted for country/purchasing power. Well, unless I got something wrong here. But I do see that when I, from Switzerland, say that 24€ are fine (btw, that's 40$AU, but only ca. 30$US), people from less wealthy countries might disagree.
  •  

joeloc

Just to confirm... all my Locus disappearing while silently recording tracks in the pocket happen on Samsung Galaxy S20 FE-5G with default OS, all Samsung Updates installed, no root, no clever hacks running, trying very hard to disable all battery saving and other Samsung bullshit in Settings. No luck so far, I still have multiple Locus disappearings per day and cannot properly record a single track without paying constant attention to my phone.

I once saw a Locus warning about battery saving options, but never again.

Also, I sometimes have a feeling that Locus goes away more likely whenever I am having a picknick break, like not moving for a while. Might just be superstition though. Sorry for being otherwise clueless.
  •  

Tapio

Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

auric

I'm a long time user of Locus, I can say that I was there at very first beginning since locus was still a 0.x version. I did a one-time purchase years ago when Locus Pro came out. I'm a developer myself and I understand the effort that it has been taking to create this version and all the new stuff.
Since I'm using Locus on a daily basis, I'm going to switch over to v4 from day one. And I hope I can support you enough to keep Locus going for many more years to come. Keep up the good work and thank you for this nice app
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Andrew Heard

warning - ramble below ;-)

It's a very competitive market out there all trying to get the user to purchase their app. We can blame Apple for stupidly cheap apps when the 1st smart phone came out. Without a lot of installing, it's hard tell exactly how much each app typically (really) costs, exact features, meets expectations. A user may install an app & decide within minutes (1st impressions) whether to keep or uninstall. Some of my bookmarked GPS apps I have (sometimes) paid for & tried over the years before deciding Locus was the best app for my purposes listed below (this is not supposed to be a comparison direct feature comparison to LM4 Silver or Gold). For a long time I used OsmAnd, Sygic, Orux & Mapfactor; it was just great luck I discovered Locus, and I expect this will often be the case because there is so much choice:

• CoPilot $10
  • CycleGPS free
  • MapFactor Navigator free? used to cost $'s
  • MAPS.ME free
  • Navmii free
  • TomTom free
  • OruxMaps free/ donate version
  • OsmAnd+ $2+
  • Sygic €10 to 20 (possibly most similar to Locus model) standalone from Google Play store
  • Google Maps free
My point?? We users on this forum are generally not the average user. We see the great value in this app/ complete eco-system and have great company loyalty, but I know it is very hard to convince friends to use any app costing even a few dollars when there are apparently free ones.

I used Sygic for many years prior to Locus. I now see they are selling their app, apparently locked to each country, and not within the Google Play store. Maybe an interesting model to consider "down the track"...

just my rambling 2 cents worth. please no flames guys
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

In the Czech Republic, mapy.cz also belongs to that list.  Very popular free application.  According to Slarti, purchasing power is also much lower than in Switzerland.  Nevertheless, I believe that Locus 4 will find enough users with us as well.  I will pay Locus personally even if I am currently out of work and regular income.