Locus Map 4, discussion (beta)

Started by Menion, December 22, 2020, 12:20:09

Tapio

Quote from: jonny.blue on March 08, 2021, 17:51:28
Btw, I noticed nothing of the new Locus crash reporter functionality. The app just dies and goes away quietly.

Same to me ...
I had some crashes🙄 too ... and hoped they were send automaticly. 😏
There was a crash for me when I tapped on a geocoded picture icon. But I was not able to reproduce. But my guts say it is related to the opening of the bottom area.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

freischneider

Quote from: Frivold on March 08, 2021, 18:31:37
Quote from: Menion on March 08, 2021, 16:24:30

Menion:

@Frivold
sorry, this is currently not possible. I'll see if more people will be interested in this feature, anyway generally I do not see any usage in rotating map when the map is not centered on the current GPS location.
The ZOOM OUT of the card does not turn off the card. But it stops briefly (for the time of Hold Map Center). Maybe the card is moved to zoom.

Turning card makes sense only to your location. I used to use it often often when moving. But I got used to it. I do not miss it anymore. And it's much better as it is now.

Well, i think it is a bit boring that the autorotation stops just because I zoom out the map.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

Menion

@joeloc
Crashes are now (in Beta) reported automatically. So I see 30+ crashes with the latest version and also probably the issue you had with saving a point with a duplicate name. It is in the old code that was not changed for sure. Does it happens always no matter what you do? How you add new points, directly from the map by a long click > "+" button?

Heat map > sorry, but it works quite slow and when I spend a little more time on this, I do not see any clear problem. Because it is not an official app map and because no other (official) map does not have any similar issues, I won't spend time on this.

@jonny.blue
they were (crashes). Anyway, these reports tell me where exactly the app crashed, but not perfectly "why". So still best is provide steps to simulate the problem (if known of course).

@Frivold
there seems to be a problem that pinch-zoom stop centering which as a side-effect stop also map rotation. When you try to use zoom buttons, nothing like this happens and rotation will still work without interruption. Hmm ...

@tapio
thanks. I've made another small improvement in the behavior of the bottom panel, so I hope it will help here.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Hi Menion, is the explicit thread for sync problems still a place to post? Because since I posted https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7114.msg62332#msg62332 there, you already answered a lot of posts here...
Anyway, in short, syncing of tracks is still triggered by simply updating/recreating the track overview in the track list. You wrote that you fixed that a while ago. Can't test now, obviously, but happened with the beta before sync became unusable for us (beta11 I think it was).
EDIT: Answer from Menion in linked thread, thx.

Also talking about sync: When I return to Locus after some inactive time, but Locus wasn't yet killed by Android (main screen appears instantly), opening the sync dialog reproducibly crashes Locus. Directly after a restart, sync opens fine.
  •  

Menion

I probably fixed this today morning. Locus Map maybe starts instantly, but part of the sync system was already killed, and restoring of this system was done a moment later than another part of the app needed. In the next version it should be ok, thanks!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: slarti76

xxc

Hi Menion,
Thanks for the V4 development !
Would it be possible in the future to have multiple map overlays ?
Kind regards
Vince
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: gcfishguy on March 04, 2021, 17:10:13
Well, since you asked...  :-)     Imagine Mapsource, but web-based.  All your data (waypoints, tracks, saved routes, etc) in one spot, in an application where you can keep them organized (folders, groups, tags, whatever) on a 'big screen', and see them on a map, etc.  The data and changes made in the web-based application then sync to your device(s).
--SNIP--
@gcfishguy, you're basically explaining what the new Locus Web Interface does. You seem to have found the page (which is in Beta, mind you), and then you list all the features that are already there or are planned (see the other thread).

So people wonder: What do you want (more)?
Or are you just unhappy that the first version doesn't fulfil all of your dreams?

joeloc

See Attachments for the add point crash, happens 100% when clicking Speichern. Point "Auto" is already in the db in the same folder. Adding points with other names is no problem.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: al.ex

baegas

Hi
When running geotagged photo, Locus Map 4 freezes or the screen turns off and the app does not run.

Especially when creating a point while looking at a geotagged photo, it freezes better and the screen turns off.
The running Locus version is beta 13(V13)
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Maybe it's too late to affect the names of the LM4 tiers (that thread's entire lifetime seems to have been while I was asleep here in North America), but...

"Plain" suggests "ordinary"; that's the first thing I think when I see that word.  Plain as flat land is a very weak meaning over here.  May I suggest "Flatlands" instead?
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Diddi

john_percy

@Viajero Perdido
Great Plains?

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

New Beta version with another nice amount of fixes & fine-tunning. So please give a try new V14 version.

@joeloc
thanks for the extra info. I've found one possible problem with saving points with the same name, so please check the new version.

@baegas
also please try the new version. I made some changes in this side panel a few days ago, so it may help here.

And @Viajero Perdido, why you wrote here when there is a separate topic? Anyway also thanks to the feedback, we made a decision and names will be simple, boring, but ... loud & clear :).
  •  

Viajero Perdido

I replied here because the other topic was already closed (within hours), so it's probably too late to make a difference.  I just wanted to discourage "Plain" because it has a negative connotation, ordinary, not something you'd see in marketing materials.  Cheers.
  •  

Menion

Ah, it's locked, sorry.
Yes, we were aware of this alternative explanation of the "plain" word. And it was intended as it should be an alternative name for the "Free" version. Anyway, I was overvoted so plain/hill/mountain won't be used  :'(

Andrew Heard

I spent (wasted?) quite a while trying to reply to your topic https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7255.msg62366#msg62366. It appears it is locked, although as a general comment I can't see any visual indication of "locked" status.

While I'm more an engineer than a marketing guy, my 1st impression was "weird" names, and as I read each post I tend to agree with the various comments. "plain" does sound well... plain/ boring. And Hill/ Mountain as John says are too activity specific. I agree with lor74cas that free/ base/ advanced are boring names, but they better describe the version of locus.

You need to ask marketing people.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Diddi