[Theme] VanLifeMapV4

Started by Martin Holý, January 17, 2021, 15:43:13

Martin Holý

Hi, I just published my first version of map theme for Locus and I want to share it with you.

You can get the latest version here:
https://github.com/martin-holy/VanLifeMapV4/releases

Change log:
2021.02.02:
- New POI amenity=townhall
- New POI landuse|amenity=cemetery|grave_yard
- Code simplification: cat="poi_shops"
2021.01.28:
  - Render POI amenity=college same as amenity=school insted of amenity=university
  - Render POI amenity=food_court same as amenity=fast_food insted of amenity=restaurant
  - New POI equivalents for shop=chemist: herbalist, drugstore
  - New POI equivalents for shop=butcher: seafood, deli, fish
  - New POI equivalents for shop=organic: farm, greengrocer, cheese
  - New POI equivalents for shop=laundry: dry_cleaning
  - New POI equivalents for shop=books: newsagent
  - New POI equivalents for shop=beverages: alcohol
  - New POI equivalents for shop=mall: department_store
  - New POI equivalents for shop=convenience: general, kiosk
  - New POI equivalents for shop=doityourself: hardware, houseware, trade
  - New POI equivalents for shop=sports: outdoor, dive, fishing, hunting
  - New POI equivalents for shop=car: car_repair, car_parts
  - New POI equivalents for tourism=hotel: guest_house, motel
  - New POI equivalents for memorial=plaque: plate, blue_plaque
  - New POI equivalents for memorial=statue: bust, sculpture
  - New POI equivalents for memorial=stone: obelisk, stele
  - New POI equivalents for historic=wayside_shrine: wayside_chappel
  - New POI equivalents for historic=archaeological_site: archaeological
  - New POI equivalents for man_made=petroleum_well: pumping_rig
  - New POI shop=motorcycle|motorcycle_repair|motorcycle_parts
  - New POI shop=hairdresser
  - Optional hiking roads signs
2021.01.23:
- Changed rendering for: barrier=ditch, natural=cliff, natural=earth_bank, natural=gully, natural=crevasse, man_made=embankment, embankment=emb_yes, man_made=groyne
2021.01.21:
- Fixed casing on intersections and crossroads
- New POI shop=car
2021.01.19:
- Display hiking routes from level 8
- Display hiking routes names from level 8
- Display hiking routes symbols from level 13
- Offset of name and ref for hiking and cycling routes = 2
- New category "Cycling" with colored cycling routes from level 7
2021.01.17:
- First public release

Andrew Heard

@martin - can you please explain the difference/ advantages of your theme compared to other existing themes?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Andrew Heard on January 17, 2021, 22:17:40
@martin - can you please explain the difference/ advantages of your theme compared to other existing themes?
It reminds me UniGCcz theme for MFv3 maps from PAWS site.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Martin Holý

It is quite a few things:
- I like the colors of internal Locus theme and Mapy.cz and I want these colors for v4 maps.
- I draw fill of all the areas first and afterwards all their outlines so if there is one area over the other I can see at least the outline.
- I add some new patterns for areas and I intend to add more so that the areas are more distinguishable.
- I draw dashed line over the rivers if they are only seasonal.
- I draw the rivers with slightly different color than the reservoirs so you can see the riverbeds as if the reservoir was empty.
- I draw all the poi even if there is no space so they are overlapping but you can see everything without zooming.
- I made different icons for drinkable and not drinkable springs.
- I have a different way to draw hiking and cycling paths and their difficulty (just for hiking for now)
- I can hide all the fill on the areas (background) and use the map as overlap for satelite imaging.
- I have more visible colors for protected areas so I can see clearly where the border of the protected area is.

and possibly more differences :)

poutnikl

I generally like your theme very much, and also those similar to one used by mapy.cz, as it is  great for hiking with Check waymark specifics. It is great to have it for MFv4 maps.

But there is one exception they all share, but significant one, for medium/long distance bicycle route planning.

Marking of cycleroutes appear and/or is well noticeable too late at high zooms. Distinguishing of route classes ( Longe discance ICN, NCN and short distance RCN, LCN) and listing their numbers/names  is rather shy.

Good thing is the theme v4 way of "inline naming", similar as in Voluntary or my Elevate mod for cycling, borrowing code from Voluntary"

But there is no universal theme and one can choose his number one for each purpose.

Martin Holý

I am not a biker so I don't have deep understanding of all the types of the cycling roads. So I grouped them under one style for now. Maybe I will break down all the possibilities to draw cycling roads in some next version :)
  •  

poutnikl

Just the clarification, they are not cycling roads, they are  just  OSM cycleroute waymarking, similar like marking of hiking routes by the Czech tourist association KČT, but more hierarchical.

International cycling network ( See e.g. Eurovelo routes ).
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:network%3Dicn

National cycling network
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:network%3Dncn

Regional cycling network
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:network%3Drcn

Local cycling network
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:network%3Dlcn

Martin Holý

Hi so I added new category with colored cycling routes without mtb (for now)
enjoy :)
  •  

poutnikl

Just for illustration. comparison with the Elevate theme, cycling,  mod LS2

Note that Cycling option was erroneously not chosen, so the theme works correctly.

Martin Holý

thats weird you don't have the roads at all. I know I draw them much thinner than Elevate theme but I want to also see the type of road on which the cycling road is on.
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: Martin Holý on January 19, 2021, 18:13:19
thats weird you don't have the roads at all. I know I draw them much thinner than Elevate theme but I want to also see the type of road on which the cycling road is on.

Elevate uses transparent color for very high zooms, I guess 13+, so you can see the type of the road. I have modded it to use the transparency much sooner. You can see the thin magenta/violet lines of regional/local cycleroutes on ( very downsized pictures due free version of Tapatalk ), that are transparent where Elevate have them thick and solid violet.

Using your today latest theme version, looking for the international cycleroute GWKMW ( Greenway Krakow Vienna ) along the Svitava river from Brno toward Adamov, its line and name appears at zoom level 14 on the Czech OpenAndroMap MFv4. It is quite strange.

Most of themes draw long distance cycleroutes since zoom 8-10.

See the forum discussion thread with the Elevate LS2 theme mod zipped XML on OpenAndroMaps forum.

Magellan

Martin, I tested your theme a bit and find it very nice and balanced. Thanks for your hard work!
Found this:
Pay attention to intersections and crossroads.
It's located here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/55.35216/59.41111
It seems to me that the sequence of specifying different types of roads is wrong here. (casings / cores for residential, tertiary, service, etc.)
Or is it intended?
  •  

Martin Holý

@Magellan yes you are right, the casing is wrong, thank you for mentioning it.
  •  

poutnikl

I revoke my comments about not displaying cycleroutes. I publicly confess I am blind and I have not seen the Cycling theme option, having it hardcoded to my brain it was not there.

Martin Holý

new version 2021.01.21
- Fixed casing on intersections and crossroads
- New POI shop=car
  •