Proximity circles

Started by dibrial, January 23, 2011, 21:28:36

dibrial

To me it would be nice to be able to draw proximity cirlces around three waypoint.

In that way the projection of a waypoint with the given waypoints and distances would be possible.

Somthing like the mapsource function:
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  is this really useful feature? :) ... exist any software on desktop that do this and also allow some export into gpx or kml files? If so, I think that this should be much more user-friendly then draw circles in android ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

dibrial

Quote from: "menion"Hi,
  is this really useful feature? :) ... exist any software on desktop that do this and also allow some export into gpx or kml files? If so, I think that this should be much more user-friendly then draw circles in android ...

Menion,

This is usefull for geocachers using the c:geo and locus combination. There are several caches which require you to find the cache location by circle intersection. e.g. GC2449W, GC26NT8 (sorry it's dutch), also there is some discussion in the GC forums about how to do this. It works on the Garmin devices and, as shown in example above, also in Garmin Mapsource.

Problem for me is that, when in the field, I don' t have a laptop or netbook with Mapsource on it nearby  :) and I haven't found an Android app to do the calculations.  Only solution for me is to drive home, start-up mapsource, do the visualization and drive back with the found coordinate.

Since Locus shows all waypoint added in the c:geo cache, it would be ideal for me to be able to visualize the circles with given distance to find the cache location.

The function is also available in Geocaching Tools in Wherigo, but this tool cartridge doesn't work in Whereyougo (//http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=82)

I hope I explained my request for this feature more clear.
  •  

Menion

Hmm I now fully understand!

seems that best solution is to fix problems on whereYouGo app. It's not a priority now but I'll try it ... later :).
  •  

dibrial

Thanks in advance.
  •  

gonnesouth

i've run into similar caches like dibrial described, except they give you a bearing and a distance to project to instead of coordinates
  •  

dibrial

Quote from: "gonnesouth"i've run into similar caches like dibrial described, except they give you a bearing and a distance to project to instead of coordinates
If you use Locus in combination with c:geo, you can add a waypoint by entering bearing and distance from the point where you have to make the projection.
I haven't found this functionality in Locus.
  •  

Menion

you're right, this is missing in locus. I have plan to increase coordinate sources for new or editing points. Actually you should obtain location from gps, map, coordinates, address, contact. I want to also increase by average gps position and projection from another point.

So, I'm not sure about time, but I'll do it :)
  •