Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

Menion

@balloni55
thanks for the feedback and tips!

- directly editable coordinates: editing of some point content that was working in the previous version caused quite a lot of dev pain to me, so I still try to avoid it. It already partially works for GC Vote (which is also some kind of edit of the point). I'll keep this in mind.

- indication of clickable trackables, waypoints, and also bigger click area for logs > I'll look at it

- view complete listing without "more": better solution than the current?

- switching between listing > waypoints ... hmm good point. So some link from the listing to waypoints should help here, right?

- white track recording window: hmm, it happens again? Damn. Did not noticed again, but I'll try to pleay with it.

- "always on second start" > like you start recording, stop and then start again?

- text "Right panel...", yes, it will need some more checks. Also, the text of the settings itself will need an update :).

- refresh of the logs: I'll fix it, thanks

@Andrew Heard
"style of track recording panel" ... heh, this settings no longer exists. Removed, thanks.

Recording button: is there any more important button then the button, that clearly informs about running recording? Understand about redundancy ... is it really a problem? Expect you usually hide the side panel with the recording button.

"Use magnifier", same with second "Zoom lock"... these two functions were in old LM in the bottom panel and I'm still not sure what to do with them. Agree, the current solution is not ideal. Most probably, they will be only available as an action button in functional panels directly on the main screen, not in the menu > more list.

Sync: "from a long period of time" > how long? Not too many users use this feature and it sometimes happens, that server is put to "sleep" and take a while (30 - 60 sec) till he "wake up" :). Anyway no data are sent twice, but it is possible that the app sends some metadata about all data to verify, nothing has really changed, so it makes take a few additional seconds.

"Turn on getting location" ... weird, never saw this text wrong. Does it happen always?

"rescale value" from config.cfg ... well, It is not yet implemented. What still works are only some components that are shared between Classic and Map version, sorry.

Missing text in auto-zoom settings ... hmm, thanks. One more reason to pull older Galaxy S2 to verify lower resolutions ::)

Improvement in auto-zoom: this is already "partially" implemented. During navigation, when you get closer to your next navigation point, the app increase auto-zoom settings for up to an additional 20%. I remember I wanted to test this behavior a little more but never did it ...  :-\

@freischneider
hmm, like that this recording button should be visible on the screen permanently, or with a possible "auto-hide" option. Hmm, this would solve the "duplicate button" problem mentioned by Andrew, an interesting idea, thanks.

"Green dot in recording button" to indicate currently running recording ... interesting idea, I'll think about it, thanks!

@tapio
all tasks related to the detail of the track (track screen) ... later. One of my next tasks will be a new screen for tracks, but no sooner than next year. Anyway, no feature was removed > delete of multiple attached waypoints was never implemented if I remember correctly.

Seems you are a "tasker-master"  :D

@jonny.blue
thanks, I'll check ... but I was sure it worked well, hmm

@michaelbechtold
hmm, weird. Sorry, I do not have any experience with it, but LG G5 is definitely a supported device. Isn't there installed some other Locus Map Free version?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

Tapio

Quote from: Menion on November 02, 2020, 10:03:45Seems you are a "tasker-master"  :D
Life without Tasker is possible, but useless.
It must be said that e.g. Pause detection and marking as a WP (on existing tracks, or as a recording option) would be great if natively offered in Locus, but well I know, there's those 20482736 other super important suggestions as well... :D
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

balloni55

Quote- directly editable coordinates .....       I'll keep this in mind.
it is really important !
Quote- view complete listing without "more": better solution than the current?
when i go back to the cache description in the PRO the last used TAB opens, e.g. the complete listing description
an additional improvement in this case would be not always to show the beginning of the description, but the last used section ;)
Quote- switching between listing > waypoints ... hmm good point. So some link from the listing to waypoints should help here, right?
yes and vice versa to last opened TAB
Quote- white track recording window: hmm, it happens again? Damn. Did not noticed again, but I'll try to pleay with it.
after restart of my device it didnĀ“t happen again.
Quote- "always on second start" > like you start recording, stop and then start again?
the reason was the setting for location. After I changed it from "while using the app" to "always" this message is no longer displayed. Why this happened only at the second start of the track recording is not clear to me
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Viajero Perdido

(I'm not paying attention to LM4, but do get these posts on my RSS feed.)

"Turn on/off getting location" is sometimes using the wrong word in the current Pro as well, and has for some time.
1. View satellites while "getting location" active.
2. Turn off screen
3. Turn on screen, unlock*
-> "Turn on getting location" while actually getting location.

(* Two devices with Disable screen lock = basic)

michaelbechtold

@Menion re. LG G5: there is a LM Pro on the device, too.
Once I could not install, I did two tests:
1) reboot - not helping
2) uninstall LM free/beta - not helping either.
Weird.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Menion on November 02, 2020, 10:03:45
Recording button: is there any more important button then the button, that clearly informs about running recording? Understand about redundancy ... is it really a problem? Expect you usually hide the side panel with the recording button.
agreed, most important button/ indication; redundancy - waste of screen space; OK - so main issue may be that hiding side panel doesn't work - which setting?

Sync: "from a long period of time" > how long? Not too many users use this feature and it sometimes happens, that server is put to "sleep" and take a while (30 - 60 sec) till he "wake up" :). Anyway no data are sent twice, but it is possible that the app sends some metadata about all data to verify, nothing has really changed, so it makes take a few additional seconds.
how long - 40 minutes! not too many users - sure because it's LM4 beta right? The biggest issue since my previous comment is that all tracks/ points/ folders/ groups were duplicated during the 2nd sync. Really bad news for me. You already comment here thanks.

"Turn on getting location" ... weird, never saw this text wrong. Does it happen always?
as I said Not seen before/ rarely happens.

"rescale value" from config.cfg ... well, It is not yet implemented. What still works are only some components that are shared between Classic and Map version, sorry.
So buttons at bottom don't rescale, but right side panel buttons can rescale?

Improvement in auto-zoom: this is already "partially" implemented. During navigation, when you get closer to your next navigation point, the app increase auto-zoom settings for up to an additional 20%.
nice start but 20% isn't that much improvement. Auto-zoom could commence direct after previous navigation point, and not fixed 20% but dynamic increase (within limits) so that next point becomes visible.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Andrew Heard

@freischneider
hmm, like that this recording button should be visible on the screen permanently, or with a possible "auto-hide" option. Hmm, this would solve the "duplicate button" problem mentioned by Andrew, an interesting idea, thanks.

"Green dot in recording button" to indicate currently running recording ... interesting idea, I'll think about it, thanks!
yay! ;D
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: tapio on November 02, 2020, 11:06:23
Quote from: Menion on November 02, 2020, 10:03:45Seems you are a "tasker-master"  :D
Life without Tasker is possible, but useless.
Couldn't agree more :)

But another thing, granted it's minor, but it's been bothering me for ages and it's in LM4, too:
"Save actual part" is wrong English, it must be "Save current part". Well, unless Andrew (or some other native speaker) disagrees with me here...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

balloni55

what is LM4 doing in the background?
I have never received such a message from PRO before.
- i was at home with wifi reception
- no locus version was enabled
- no locus backup was created at this time
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

@balloni55
thanks for the additional notes. I've improved my todo list.

Action in background: I have absoluitely no idea. How long visible was this notification?

@Viajero Perdido
ah, you are right, perfect, thanks  :)

@Andrew Heard
wait, "hiding of the side panel does not work"? You seems to have recording button at the bottom and "Bottom panel visibility" settings does not work for you?

Rescale: well, rather expect that rescale should not work for all components for now. If it works, it is more a side-effect of shared code than an intent. We may enable/polish this feature little later.

Auto-zoom: it is not fixed to 20%. I wrote "up to 20%", so it already dynamically increase. Anyway it really needs some "more love" and I really do not want to just increase this value now, without proper field testing.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

balloni55

QuoteAction in background: I have absoluitely no idea. How long visible was this notification?
these notifications are visible on my device as long as
- i open it once
or
- swipe it out
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: balloni55 on November 03, 2020, 13:26:05
QuoteAction in background: I have absoluitely no idea. How long visible was this notification?
these notifications are visible on my device as long as
- i open it once
or
- swipe it out
That's a Google/Android thing. To my knowledge, for every app that you've given full background location access, after a while this notification appears to "remind" you've given those rights to the app. After swiping it off once, it never appears again (in my experience). Since Android 9, I think. Nothing Menion (or any developer) can do about.

Viajero Perdido

Quote from: slarti76 on November 03, 2020, 07:25:46
"Save actual part" is wrong English, it must be "Save current part". Well, unless Andrew (or some other native speaker) disagrees with me here...
slarti76 is correct.  In English, "actual" does not mean "current" (unlike, say, in Spanish, actualmente.).
  •  

balloni55

missing distance and direction
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: slarti76 on November 03, 2020, 07:25:46
sure - better, but there are many other places too ;)
  •