Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

Erelen

•  

poutnikl

It seems that mysterious update is not the same as the explicit update from the GP.

I was always able to overinstall the LM4v960 over the mysteriously installed LM4free/beta. Recently, for whatever reasons, I have explicitly demanded update of LM3 free/beta and since then, LM4 960 cannot be installed.

Perhaps it may play roles this is an ad supported free version, not unlimited beta version.

Something like that happened to me before, sometimes it is related to LM being set as a system manager application, which has to be turned off. But I guess it did not help me that time and I had to uninstall LM3 free/beta before being able to install LM4 alpha.

And exactly this I had to do now, importing then previously saved LM4 backup.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

Tapio

New beta: Had to uninstall prev. beta. Then installation worked. But settings are all gone now. Have to reconfigure, eeeek.
Edit: Ok, used a recent backup which were made from the beta branch.
It's unfortunately not as easy as just doing a restore. E. g., access to ext. SD is lost and has to be reconfigured. But probably nothing that can be done on Locus side.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

john_percy

New beta still shows highway=footway as residential not path in route planner chart.
As far as I can see path and footway are used pretty well interchangeably in UK mapping.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Erelen

In four days (1 october) Locus 4 (962) will expire.
@Menion, please, upload build with extended expiration.
I already have some discomfort with Locus 3 interface :)
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: john_percy on September 26, 2020, 22:12:09
New beta still shows highway=footway as residential not path in route planner chart.
As far as I can see path and footway are used pretty well interchangeably in UK mapping.

I think there is general OSM trouble with proper mapping usage of
highway=footway and highway=path.

Some regions or  mappers prefer  =footway over =path for narrow single track path for pedestrians, mostly out of urban areas. Or they take them like  interchangeably.

OTOH, other regions a/o authors, like in Czech Republic, use mostly =path for them, using =footway rather for sidewalks and similar way in the urban area, often paved. Personally, I am not sure if I have ever encountered usage highway=footway e.g. for a hiking path in Czech countryside.

Considering the photos from the OSM Wiki....... they seem rather to support the Czech way ( what may include Menion :-) ) than the UK way.

freischneider

I had that in a region in Slovenia too. I wrote to the mapper. He didn't really know and will correct everything.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

john_percy

But in any case, I don't think footway is the same as residential. Certainly not for UK mapping.

•  

poutnikl

@John Percy In UK context, you are right.

In CZ context, they are in some sense alike, grouping them in similar manner as are grouped similar surfaces in incoming LM4  surface statistics.

I agree it is rather controversial and perhaps it should not be marked so.

Menion

Hi guys,

new Beta version: MapGooglePlay_3.48.2.2_963_beta_with_sync.apk (extended till end of year, thanks for info).

Warning: as clearly from the name, this version already includes all LM4 stuff + also sync system. Discussion and info about sync in the separate topic please, thanks.

Discussion about "way types" ... thanks. I'll look at it more deeply and post also some more info about current implementation (little later).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Frivold

I miss the oportunity to let the map autorotate when the map is NOT in center. I use this in the public version f.ex. when i am on a summit, and zoom the map in to see what I see in the horizont. When i point the phone in different directions i can read the map.  In v4 the autorotation disappear when zooming. I miss the possibility to keep autorotation.
  •  

john_percy

On the route planner chart, trunk roads are being shown as unknown, and motorway shown as highway.

•  

Menion

@Frivold
well, I have to say that at least I personally am extremely happy with the map not rotation when not-centered. If there will be more people interested in the old behavior, I may create an expert setting for this behavior.

@john_percy
ah, very good observation, fixed!

Promised list of supported tags and it's setup on the screenshot below
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

poutnikl

I have created some multisegment test route in the Route planner, going to play with segment way/surface stats. I have not created segments sequentionally, but by cutting original single segment by dragging the segment icon.

When I then clicked on the logical 1st route segment icon, the selection dialog displayed at the top "Part 3 of route" ( probably created as the third ), but then the altitude stats chart correctly displayed "Route segment 1".

Later I created the 4-segment route sequentially and realized the selection dialog numbering ( "Part n of route") was 3-2-4-1, instead of 1-2-3-4. I think the numbering could be more consistent. :-)

BTW, have I got the message right, that the segment based way/surface stats are planned, similarly as the segment altitude chart is already in place ?

john_percy

My observations:
1. Trunk should not be the same as Motorway, certainly not called motorway.
2. As I posted before, footway does not equate to residential, at least for UK mapping. Footway is very frequently used for out of town paths that have been identified by the mapper as used by pedestrians or walkers, while path is generic. I understand there are different usages.
3. Is it not turning_circle, rather than turning_loop?
4. There is a problem for UK end users, in that the OSM definition of Trunk is UK Primary roads, the OSM definition of Primary is UK A Roads, the OSM definition of secondary roads is UK B Roads or Secondary roads (this one is OK). On the map itself, this doesn't matter s the information is all visual but once it becomes textual it is potentially confusing. I don't see a way of resolving this however.

•