Locus Map - cloud/sync server

Started by Menion, September 08, 2020, 13:06:05

janaton

@tapio
Thx for explaining. Don't get me wrong, I trust you, my basic concern usually is, services get exploited and at some point we may find big data dumps available publicly - it always happens here and there... Well it's all about risk management
You are absolutely right. It is up to you if you decide to sync your data into cloud or not (do data backup on your own). Sync is and always will be opt-in service. When using synchronization you will benefit from integration with our web planner (work in progress).

Thanks for your time and checking/testing synchronization and your feedback :). We have already found some bugs that somehow passed during our internal testing round.

And let me add: congrats for going public after probably a lot of hard work.
Yes, we have spent a lot of time researching and designing this solution. Thanks a lot :). Hopefully no serious issue will be discovered  and we will go public soon and offer this great service to Locus community.
  •  

Menion

I like your confirmation, that we worked hard and that it is a great service  ;D
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

balloni55

Quotemay you please try you sync again? We identified and fixed issue on our server.
sync stop after ~3 sec with message as schown in post#10
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Hello balloni,
hmm seems you have in database track with a single! trackpoint. Interesting :).

The new version 3.48.0.5 just uploaded, so please try it. Such track will be simply skipped.
  •  

balloni55

Now manually started sync work :) thanks

My settings Automatic sync >on   text: update the cloud content automatically after change.....

i´ve deleted some trash POIs, but no autosync start??
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Tapio

The web planner could be very useful. I am really hoping for an easy to use/ nonspace wasting UI (having brouter-web in mind, it's unmatched IMO).
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Tapio

I wanted to test syncing behaviour if I delete embedded WP from tracks.

a) Locus crashes/restarts when I delete an embedded WP. No sync.

b) Not related to syncing. Embedded Waypoints, unlike normal POI, cannot be deleted directly via the new POI screen. Makes their handling more clunky.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Andrew Heard

Just my initial experience. With wifi/ mobile data disabled > Full sync > a reminder message to enable one or the other could be helpful.

1019 tracks & 272 points took ~20 minutes. All OK.

Any other testing possible? How to now share this data?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

janaton

Hi Andrew,
thanks for sharing your experience. Regarding the offline state, this is really good finding! I guess that it would make sense to disable "Sync button" + show some warning that you need connection for this operation. But let's wait for @menion, maybe this is already on the TODO list ;)

Another benefit of sync (other than backup) is actually possibility to keep multiple devices in sync. You just need to sign in with the same user on a different device (e.g. tablet or even emulator). All changes on both devices should be synced. If you modify same item in parallel then newest change wins. You can definitely test this scenario.

Be aware that right now, you have to pull new changes to your device manually ("Cloud sync" screen > "Quick sync"). We plan to add instant notifications about changes in cloud, soon. This notification should then automatically start sync which should keep your device fully synced with cloud without any extra effort.

Sharing data with other people using cloud is on our roadmap but not implemented right now. We need to finish web planner first which should be used to visualize your shared track (using dedicated url).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: jajaballard

balloni55

First test with Locus MEmu emulator on PC and my device:
- sync data to "new" locus on emulator work well :)
- message about missing custom icons, only Locus and Garmin Icons are displayed
- due to the missing of custom icons it is not possible to do action with click on it> show/hide, some/all. It would be good to set up a missing custom icon and replace it with a standard icon.
- if i delete one or more POIs on EMU or device and run sync i get an error message with Code1404, although one POI is deleted at each sync
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

sigi-s

Hi  menion, hi Locus developers!
Thanks for all your efforts, I can´t test now, but I am exited to see it running.
Although I trust you, Locus guys, I relay do not trust Google or the other big Tech giants.
?  Will there be a possibility in the future to sync to my OwnCloud / Nextcloud Webdav server?
?  When approx will the final version be released?
Thanks, Sigi
  •  

Menion

@balloni55
ah amazing, the problem with deleting content after sync fixed, thanks!

The issue with icons is anyway weird. If the point does not find its own defined icon, it should automatically use the icon of the folder.

I've just uploaded new version "MapGooglePlay_3.48.0.6_964_beta", so give it a try. I believe it will works correctly now.

@sigi-s
Hi :). This is a good question we were thinking about ... for a quick moment. Sync as is created is not about simple copy of all your data to any place. It is more about deeper comparing of changes and solving possible conflict problems. Also about sharing to public (later) etc. So any other solution that our internal won't be possible, because whole system is tightly connected to our server logic.

For "backups" of your own data, you may use existing Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive (LM4) uploads over Backup manager. OwnCloud will be most probably added later as well.
  •  

lega4

First of all, thanks for starting work in this direction even with a delay of several years. Later is better than never :)

However, is my understanding correct that currently you're talking more about backup/sync between several smartphones? What I was expecting from a account/sync/cloud thingy is possibility to edit my points from the PC i.e. via Locus web interface (or Locus desktop app, no idea whether it exists, but you got the point) in order to get them on my smartphone. And get the new points I add on smartphone in this abstract "web interface" afterwards.

Is this completely out of scope for the implementation or do you consider having something like that eventually?

Just to be clear, my use case is typically "prepare travel plan with tracks and points" (on PC, just because it's so much superior over smartphone for such a complex task), then "do travel, during vacation add some newly discovered points to my map" (on the phone as I don't have PC during vacatioin) and then "analyze my track, organize all the points and publish it as i.e. blog post" (again on PC). And that's exactly what I was expecting from this cloud sync - to be able to edit my points from PC and seamlessly get the updates on the phone.
  •  

balloni55

any answer to my question #19

Quotethe problem with deleting content after sync fixed, thanks!
thanks, confirm fixed :)
but why did i see a red exclamation mark down left at hamburger button although the sync was successfull??? it change to a green dot if i open this note once.

QuoteThe issue with icons is anyway weird. If the point does not find its own defined icon, it should automatically use the icon of the folder.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-FjkpXYi68ji7NIfnNxTZtGdJh_owTlt/view?usp=sharing

During synchronization no image attachments are transferred, understand
If I remove now the JPG icon with the exclamation mark and synchronize both devices the photo in my original POI will be deleted :o

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

janaton

Hi lega4,
first of all, thanks. Implementation took some time but our resources are limited and we want to deliver quality over quantity :). But hopefully we are finally having right direction to do public release!

Cloud sync is exactly what you expect but we implement it in steps thus not everything is implemented - ready for public testing. I will try to briefly summarize our cloud roadmap:

• Implement synchronization solution - sync cloud and multiple devices
  • Web planner - something similar to http://www.brouter.de/brouter-web integrating user content synced t cloud (tracks, points)

• View cloud content on the map + stats
    • Plan track - save to cloud (new item synced to your devices) or export
    • Share track with your friends (only when item marked public, sharing via dedicated url)
  • Social network - this is not yet decided if we will do it. First of all cloud sync and web planner have to be finished.

When cloud sync and web planner is finished I believe that your trip planning workflow should be fully supported ;). I am already looking forward for it!
  •