Route planning

Started by SonnyS, July 29, 2020, 13:26:54

SonnyS

Ah I see a discussion you might have referred to.

https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/brouter-car-mode-truly-hates-unpaved-roads

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

•  

zossebart

As it happens, another board user asked me if I could adept my mountainbike profile towards enduro motorcycle use some time ago.
He used the mountainbike profile because of it's major road avoidance/gravel road preference but didn't want the path/singletrail preference.

You can find the adepted profile here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zossebart/brouter-misc/enduro-mc/enduro-mc.brf

You can paste it into the profile source box in brouter-web to test it (wrench symbol -> Profile-tab -> replace Text with content from enduro-mc.brf -> press Apply).

Maybe it's of use for you, also? Feedback would be appreciated!
  •  

poutnikl

I have found some partial discussion about enduro profile...

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/osm-android-bikerouting/WYvLYV5fq0o/0SFoq7OnCgAJ

Note that I am quite hesitant to write specialized motorbike profiles for unpaved roads,as the network of unpaved but allowed roads is quite limited in many countries. Removing profile access restrictions can lead to profile abuse. Ignoring restrictions by 2 or 4 wheel off-road vehicles is often seen even without BRouter.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI A2 / Android 10, via Tapatalk

SonnyS

Quote from: zossebart on July 30, 2020, 06:31:42
As it happens, another board user asked me if I could adept my mountainbike profile towards enduro motorcycle use some time ago.
He used the mountainbike profile because of it's major road avoidance/gravel road preference but didn't want the path/singletrail preference.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zossebart/brouter-misc/enduro-mc/enduro-mc.brf

You can paste it into the profile source box in brouter-web to test it (wrench symbol -> Profile-tab -> replace Text with content from enduro-mc.brf -> press Apply).

Quote from: zossebart on July 30, 2020, 06:31:42

Thank you that sounds like it could be the closest profile for Enduro / Adventure motorcycle riding.
It will be a few days before I'm able to try it on Brouter-Web. 99% of my route planning is done offline. I have never used Brouter-Web until yesterday. It's offline ability for route planning and navigation is what makes Locus so excellent.
Would there be a chance to make that profile available offline as part of the optional profiles ? Maybe a Beta run. There are hundreds of people on Adventure Rider forum that ride all over the world that could offer excellent feedback. ADVrider is how I found out about Locus and there is much talk and many questions there. I know people would be excited to try a routing profile that has less limitations.
Here is a link to just one thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/locus.989332/

•  

poutnikl

It is called BRouter routing profile, rather than a theme. It is a script like file with extension .brf.

You need not BRouter-web for using custom profiles. You can place the profile in profiles2 subfolder of BRouter data folder ( or BRouter subfolder (I think) within Locus data folder ) and use it as any other BRouter profile.

SonnyS

Quote from: poutnikl on July 30, 2020, 08:12:09
I have found some partial discussion about enduro profile...

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/osm-android-bikerouting/WYvLYV5fq0o/0SFoq7OnCgAJ

Note that I am quite hesitant to write specialized motorbike profiles for unpaved roads,as the network of unpaved but allowed roads is quite limited in many countries. Removing profile access restrictions can lead to profile abuse. Ignoring restrictions by 2 or 4 wheel off-road vehicles is often seen even without BRouter.

Yes I'm sure creating a specific profile could come with many issues, and also render the profile not useful in many ways. Unfortunately people will always make their own rules and not only disrespect other people's sport, but they will also ruin it all for everyone. Whether it be going around gates, entering private property or leaving trash. That's what gets trails closed and more areas marked as do not trespass.
I notice there are profiles that are more specific to other countries.
I'm sure that's not an easy task. Then to do that for motorcycles would be a change.

Even if not a specific unpaved surfaces profile for motorcycles, yet one with modifications and less restrictions would be helpful. Less penalties as you put it.

•  

SonnyS

Quote from: poutnikl on July 30, 2020, 11:50:37
It is called BRouter routing profile, rather than a theme. It is a script like file with extension .brf.

You need not BRouter-web for using custom profiles. You can place the profile in profiles2 subfolder of BRouter data folder ( or BRouter subfolder (I think) within Locus data folder ) and use it as any other BRouter profile.

Yes correct profile. I was thinking of two things at once and typed the wrong one. I edited my post

•  

poutnikl

Quote from: SonnyS on July 30, 2020, 11:55:57

Even if not a specific unpaved surfaces profile for motorcycles, yet one with modifications and less restrictions would be helpful. Less penalties as you put it.

Hmm, restrictions in profiles for particular vehicles are there to follow the law. You are not suggesting bypassing it, are you ?

For penalties, it is true unpaved penalties should go down.

It may be question if the parent profile should be a car profile or bicycle(MTB) profile. But it may be useful to have both approaches.

SonnyS

Im not sure exactly how I would insert the code into the subfolder I created. I can use Locus and Brouter but that's about it lol

•  

SonnyS

Absolutely not suggesting anything to bypass any laws.
It's those that bypass laws and private property restrictions that ruin our sports for everyone else.
If a road is legally accessable by motorized vehicles it would be nice to route plan easily on that road

•  

poutnikl

Quote from: SonnyS on July 30, 2020, 12:36:28
Im not sure exactly how I would insert the code into the subfolder I created. I can use Locus and Brouter but that's about it lol

By the same way how you would put *.brf file into a folder on a computer. E.g.by copying via a file manager ( builtin or 3rd party like e.g. Android version of Total Commander ) or pasting code into text editor and saving it as .brf file. ( or combination of both. You can also access phone folders remotely, e.g. via USB or Fifi connection.