Locus Map 4, discussion (alpha)

Started by Menion, December 06, 2019, 14:57:45

Tapio

Setting bottom panel to auto-hide VIA PRESET is not possible.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

@freischneider
- settings for hiding panels apply currently only on the main map screen. Anyway agree that is may be useful to apply them globally on all screens with maps. I'll think about it, thanks.
- "planning buttons" > simply add two points to plan and space will diss-appear ;)

@Žajdlík Josef
- permanently visible rec-button: hmm if, then only optionally
- long-click on record button > agree

@tapio
I've this in todo list. Because panels have now a little different behavior, they are not yet in presets system.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Quote from: menion on March 30, 2020, 08:52:20
@Žajdlík Josef
It would then be possible to completely cancel the record button in the side panel.
  •  

SonnyS

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on March 30, 2020, 15:04:13
Quote from: menion on March 30, 2020, 08:52:20
@Žajdlík Josef
It would then be possible to completely cancel the record button in the side panel.

I would definitely prefer it to be optional. I have never had an issue starting or stopping recording and I use it often on motorcycles. Less permanent tabs on the map screen the better. A double tap on my screen brings up the side bar and there it is. Once activated there is a tab on the map screen to stop. Very easy.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

•  

Žajdlík Josef

Hiding the record button could be associated with hiding the bottom panel.
  •  

SonnyS

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on March 30, 2020, 15:24:25
Hiding the record button could be associated with hiding the bottom panel.
I prefer everything hidden and made available with a double tap. I do like the blue tab to bring up map screen content. Maybe there is room within dynamic content for another option to be readily available. Using cell phones with +/- 5" screens doesn't leave a lot of room for navigation. The less blocking the map the better .

•  

freischneider

Button on the very edge was better. Now the button is indented a few millimeters from the edge. The map between the Button and the edge cannot be used sensibly.
This is the case for all Buttons that are indented from the side.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

freischneider

@ 0709: Yes and no. There are also things that are better than before. You have to be open to new things, otherwise we would still be navigating with the compass today. Of course, not everything new is good. So there is a lot to discuss. Only if it brings advantages and few disadvantages, you should take it over.
For me it is very important to see as much of the map as possible. But to be seen so that it is a coherent surface. Designing buttons flexibly is an issue here. Push where you want them. Or hide and double-click in the sidebar. And others want the buttons on the screen.
Poco F5, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro, Android 13
Locus Map 4 Gold (always latest version)
LM4 User-ID: 11cec7cb5  (Devices-ID poco F5)
  •  

SonnyS

Quote from: 0709 on April 01, 2020, 08:42:21
I myself am satisfied with the current Locus UI, do not see the usefulness of such a heavy UI change (inclusive a NEW Locus Manual), and therefore do not test it, but I sometimes follow the experiences here.
According to the screenshots, should I turn my phone upside down to put trusted Icons such as GPS and so on back in the top panel I have trusted for years? Don't see the use of mixing up all the buttons again? Is it just me? I know I am always a bit suspicious of fashion phenomena, so count on the old fashion to reappear after a few years. ;D ;D ;D
Agree 100% !!
Everything has been fine, a few necessary updates here and there but all was well.
I think rather than a new user learning Locus they want it changed to suit them personally. Their Garmin had this, or the other App had that. Well this is Locus. Learn it and enjoy. They are the squeaky wheel so they get the grease. Meanwhile no one else is complaining so their voice is unheard.
@Menion if it isn't broke don't fix it... Please !! And Please don't clutter up the screen with permanent buttons.
We've only got so much space to work with on the average size cell phone. I don't carry around a huge tablet or mount one to my handlebars.  Give people options but don't make the many that are satisfied have to conform with those that aren't.
Locus rocks !!

Menion

@0709, @freischneider, @SonnyS
It's simple: "if it isn't broke don't fix it" > everything on Android brake from time to time and needs a rewrite. Not just stuff inside, but also UI. It is not visible, but more than 50% of my time is spent on UI updates, because with every new Android, new Android library, something stops to work correctly. If I stop changing stuff, I may also stop improving and updating ... it's not broken, so why update it.

Exactly because of what you wrote, we made a decision about Locus Map future. That's main reason, why I'll be "wasting" time and keeping Locus Classic (current Locus Map Pro) with current (as much as possible) UI, current functionality etc ... to keep users who are happy with current app .. still happy.

And who won't be worry to risk a different version, there will be a new Locus Map. Don't search for some mystery here, progress can't be stopped .. at least not progress in my head :).

Anyway, you may still notice, that even that I try to make UI easier and more logical for new users, there still be a lot of options to customize it ... I have a feeling that even more than before :).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: tramp20

SonnyS

Ok fair enough :-)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Tapio

What I see in the test version is not bad. I still can keep the screen free from elements. It's still the complex and capable app I love. Very much appreciate the new point approach. The UI changes I see are a small thing for me. I just wish the poi database, pois in general would get more love.
I must  honestly say my thoughts about Locus Alpha are more and more "after all, not much can change and will change". Not bad for me personally.
I feel Menion is having a hard time to bring changes in software and payment system to life. And I wish them success. Locus = Most important Android app for me.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: lor74cas

Menion

Fine. About POI ... Michal did not wrote about it yet ... but, I hope it will be big this year  :D
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Žajdlík Josef

Give the new interface a chance.  In fact, it is better, freeing up space at the top.  This is better because you see a larger part of the map in the direction of travel.  The panel at the bottom does not matter because it overlaps the section you already have.  It's just unusual at first, that's all.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on April 01, 2020, 17:22:29
Give the new interface a chance.  In fact, it is better, freeing up space at the top.  This is better because you see a larger part of the map in the direction of travel.  The panel at the bottom does not matter because it overlaps the section you already have.  It's just unusual at first, that's all.
We wait and see (but some of us do not use the rotating map. Instead North-up). Even my wife does, allthough long ago she used to rotate the paper road map in the car when we were driving south to France.  ;D
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •