FIT file with course points

Started by Igor Martić, March 20, 2019, 09:51:24

Igor Martić

Hi, now that locus can export FIT format, anyone able to export route with course points(into garmin device)?

Now waypoints import into garmin device as regular "locations/pois" not points on track, so you can use ETE/ETA to next point for climbs.

Sorry but this is bugging me whole week.
Ridewithgps supposedly does this in FIT but is online/pc only and premium feature.

Thanks.

Poslano sa mog SM-J320FN koristeći Tapatalk

•  

Menion

Hello Igor,
this does not work even with "Course" as selected mode when exporting to FIT in the latest Locus Map version?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Igor Martić

Hello Menion,

I'm playing with this for days.
I tried tcx, gpx and now fit.
I even tried in locus to open track in route planner-》route stats-》waypoints and add points there.
They always import into edge 820 and basecamp as regular points(locations in edge) not as course points.
Icons transfer fine though if you choose garmin icons in locus.

Also if I open this tcx or fit back in locus points are there, just not in garmin.
People on garmin forum claim ridewithgps can actually do this but unfortunately I can't pay premium subscription just to try and to add course points to few unfamiliar routes I will be riding rhis summer, but it would be of help in unfamiliar terrain.
Also, gpx with waypoints transfer fine into suunto movescount as waypoints and on suunto you can use "ETA to next" etc.
But garmin is PITA.

If you are willing to investigate this further let me know if you need me for testing or something.

Thanks.

Igor.

•  

Igor Martić

Yes, i am trying to export as a Course, not as activity.

•  

Menion

Hmm. I do not have any device where to play with it and to be true, it is out of Locus Map world > optimizing export for a single device (brand).

If you will be able to find any FIT file that imports as you need, please share it with me and I'll try to analyze this file and find what is different compared to FIT exported by Locus Map. That's most I may offer here.
  •  

Igor Martić

Update, if I add waypoints in route planner -> route stats -> waypoints then re-save the route they get into garmin device as course points. But what now bugs me is:
in locus -> track info -> track time is empty/non existent when i plan route and in garmin device track time is 0.
Any way in locus to add track time from travel time/predicted route time based on selected activity?

This way i think in garmin i would also have predicted time reaching individual course points.

Thanks.
Igor.

•  

sbouju

Just trying the .fit export...

1) in Locus route planner, I create a routing, then save it.
2) from "Tracks", I export it with the FIT option, and I share it with me too (in Telegram).
3) on the PC, the shared file (.fit format) can be open and viewed correctly in Garmin BaseCamp.
4) but this same file cannot be imported into Garmin Connect...

Is this last point normal ?
  •  

Igor Martić

I currently use excellent locus-out-fit plugin for locus and in-fit app for garmin device(works on edge 820 and i'm trying to port it to work on epix).
Works totally offline(you can upload route to device once already on the bike), supports course points and metrics that go with it(eta to next point, distance, elevation). Uploading fit route from locus to connect does not work. Cheers.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: sbouju

sbouju

My Garmin units don't support Connect IQ, so does this plugin can help for simply (?) obtaining a .fit Locus export which can be uploaded to Garmin Connect then ?
  •  

Igor Martić

I'm afraid no. If your device can be seen as storage media to pc or android phone(over OTG cable) you can then use locus out fit plugin to create fit file which you can manually transfer to device into NewFiles folder.

•  

sbouju

Quote from: menion on March 20, 2019, 14:52:19
If you will be able to find any FIT file that imports as you need, please share it with me and I'll try to analyze this file and find what is different compared to FIT exported by Locus Map. That's most I may offer here.

As there is a route planner function at Garmin Connect, I think that a .fit file created there and exported as a .fit file will have the correct shape ?

Attached is a test file I just created from scratch this way...
  •  

Radim V

Hallo there,
In the recent version of FitSdk by Garmin(20.76.00), there is support for 27 coursepoints.
I am particularly interested in CoursePoint.SEGMENT_START and CoursePoint.SEGMENT_END.
If I generate myself a .fit file using these types and import it to Locus, I get both coursepoints/waypoints displayed.
Just their representation is very basic. This is fine, no problem. I just want to make sure there is no sophisticated mechanism for Garmin's (and Strava, of course :-)) segments in Locus. Do I need to expect any dedicated waypoints coming from Locus, representing them? If any related information has been made public please redirect me. Thanks, Radim.
  •  

Menion

Hi,

hmm I see post from sbojuju but without any (my?) reaction, sorry. Not sure if this is still valid.

Anyway, Radim, to your question. Locus Map loads coursePoints from FIT file and based on defined action, map this action to something known to Locus.

In the case of mentioned two segments-types, these types are simply ignored because I had no better idea what to do with them.

It is possible to set them some icon or mark them as "via points" for navigation. Not sure if any from this may be useful ...
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Radim V

Menion

Hello Willy,
I'm just checking all three fit files and they are correctly loaded into GPXSee app on the desktop.
Do you know any other desktop app that is able to load FIT files?

Because I do not know what exactly is a problem on the Plotaroute web. I'm no expert on FIT files so it is absolutely possible that FIT files produced by Locus have any problem. Anyway now we have one web that denny this file and one app that is able to load it ...

You are in touch with a Plotaroute developer right? Should be easiest to ask him for a small help here (with link on these last two posts). Thanks
  •  

Menion

Hmm. I've updated Garmin ANT library because of the problems with a Plotaroute and here is a result :/. Thanks, I'll check it.
  •