Locator Beacon and tracking

Started by ColdAutumn, February 02, 2020, 06:44:28

ColdAutumn

Hi,
I am always looking for a Locator Beacon and Tracking portable  product.
I hope it can send SMS with Latitude and longitude coordinates.
Because using the SMS will save power and be reliable.
I might use it to protect my children or my luggage etc.
So that I can know the location at any time.
Of course, it would be better if Locus could read and recognize the SMS automatically.
Have you any suggestion ?
  •  

lor74cas

For this purpose you can use Tasker,
create a profile that reacts to an SMS request from a specific contact "from +3391234567 and text where_are_U"
with an action, sending sms with coordinates in the form you prefer (the simplest are the built-in gmaps format).
No data connection needed only mobile and gps. (in rooted phones you can enable and disable gps with an action to save the battery, but you need more time to get better accuracy on the position).
Locus is great but I think this is not it's field of use
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ColdAutumn

ColdAutumn

Quote from: lor74cas on February 02, 2020, 10:53:59
For this purpose you can use Tasker,
create a profile that reacts to an SMS request from a specific contact "from +3391234567 and text where_are_U"
with an action, sending sms with coordinates in the form you prefer (the simplest are the built-in gmaps format).
No data connection needed only mobile and gps. (in rooted phones you can enable and disable gps with an action to save the battery, but you need more time to get better accuracy on the position).
Locus is great but I think this is not it's field of use

Tasker ?? It is in the Locus Pro ?

No, I want to find a standalone portable tracker. It is not a mobile phone, no need to install locus.
Such as: ACR ARTEX product. http://www.acrartex.com/
But they don't seem to have a SIM card installed.

So I want to look for similar products.

Many thanks.
  •  

lor74cas

So you need "Of course, it would be better if Locus could read and recognize the SMS automatically."
to open the link in the sms directly in locus? I think you need to show to the developer (Menoin) an sms composed from that device to understand if it's possible.

My previous answer referred to the possibility of creating a similar functionality without a dedicated device, but using a smartphone and the Tasker app
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: ColdAutumn

ColdAutumn

Many thanks again!
In mobile phones, or more accurately in android, there seems to be a special URL, I know Locus supports it. ( See attach image )
But the quality of that product is too poor. Its name seems to be TK102, or TK103 and so on.
So actually I want to find a better one.

And I don't want to give up Locus, because I really like Locus, so I came here to ask.
For example, I found another one that seems to be interesting:
https://www.radacat.com/products/radacat-team-messenger-c1
( Of course, this is not what I need, this is a correction. sorry.  )

So I don't know if anyone is interested here.

Many thanks.
  •  

Menion

Reading and sending SMS is a very sensitive topic that is a little hard to explain. So direct integration into app is really not what I want to do.

Anyway, I can imagine small simple add-on that should be able to do this (read incoming SMS and check it's content for possible location values and also send SMS in some cases) ... it just needs someone who has time to create it ;). Also, maybe such app (not directly connected to Locus Map) already exists on Google Play?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Neoaliphant

Just in case OP still inetersted

ive doen the same thing using locus and tasker as mentioned by  lor74cas above
but to receive and parse the SMS, that is a phone/tasker function really
also it wont work on all phones, ie MIUI devices

ie tasker reads incoming SMS,   gets lat and long
opens locus and the sepcified lat and long....

Also tasker can integrate with existing live tracking platform
ie locus, or tasker can update live tracking.
which means tasker can receive incoming SMS, parse and update livetracking with gps tracker devices rather than gps location of teh android device.

locus is simply the specific app to open geo url
the process is done by tasker.
  •