offline address not found

Started by Andrew Heard, January 13, 2019, 06:56:34

Andrew Heard

An offline address is not found in the Australia > South Australia LoMap although it is correctly displayed on the map. A search for the adjoining Clark Street is correctly found.

Address not found: city=Adelaide > address=Young Street

I also question when there are multiple identical results why they are not sorted with the closest address at the top of the list? For example Corfu Court - the one 31km is displayed before the one 64m away.

And finally, what if the street name is shown on the map, but the user is unfamiliar with the location and so doesn't know what City name to type for another nearby street? It would be very helpful if the search could maybe have some button or menu to provide the current City name itself rather than the user having to guess the name. If there is no current solutions do you think it is worth me splitting these ideas into separate help topics?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

voldapet

Regarding the Young Street - you're right this street is really missing. I tried to improve the map/database generation to fix. In the Locus store is improved version available as old version 2018.11.06. Please download this version again and let me know if it's better.

Sorting - the streets are sorted alphabetically. I'm not sure if it is or isn't good approach. I can discuss it with others but there is definitely any reason why decided to sort alphabetically when we implemented offline search :)

Current City - I'm sorry but I'm not sure if it's ideal solution. Well...Locus at least offer last city used for search
  •  

Andrew Heard

Thanks Voldapet. The updated map fixed the problem. But surely is was not just Young St? There must have been lots of other ways with same issue?

>Sorting - the streets are sorted alphabetically. I'm not sure if it is or isn't good approach. I can discuss it
>with others but there is definitely any reason why decided to sort alphabetically when we implemented
>offline search

Sort alphabetically and then by distance? if I type in "young s" surely it makes sense for closest way when there are multiple ways with same name to be at the top of the list? Thinking further I'd even suggest sorting all search results by distance first. I've created a help topic https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/sort-offline-address-search-results-by-distance.

I've created a help topic for my other idea too. It often occurs when travelling in unfamiliar country you don't know what to enter for "city". Sounds obvious but often not - https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/offer-current-city-as-default-for-offline-address-search.
  •  

voldapet

Yes there have been really other streets with the same issue. I'm not sure, maybe 10 - 20  streets in Adelaide.

Sort alphabetically and then by distance is probably ideal solution and I'll discuss it with menion.

I have to say that I was wrong in my previous post. Locus offers the last search city but also current city if known (as I mentioned on the help desk). You can try it - please move with map and put center crosshair somewhere into town Mount Barker, Strathalbyn or McLaren Vale and try offline search. Locus should automatically whisper current city in the "City" text box. But it doesn't work for all towns - only towns with defined the residential area ( in OSM data and so in our address database) are whispered.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: voldapet on January 16, 2019, 12:13:31
I have to say that I was wrong in my previous post. Locus offers the last search city but also current city if known (as I mentioned on the help desk).
yes working for Mount Barker & Strathalbyn - I'd never noticed this before, thanks. Is that a recent feature? That's exactly what I was asking for. A pity it doesn't work everywhere but as you say that is issue with OSM not Locus.
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
it seems that this feature is here from beginning of offline address search. I think that we could little bit improve it and offer whisper more cities to limit lack of OSM data.
  •  

Andrew Heard

When I see this "whisper" I assumed it was just the last city remembered from previous search.
  •