Wear for Locus Map beta testing

Started by milan.cejnar, December 06, 2017, 19:50:53

fera

Hi there!

I've just given Majka's SGT-workaround a try, and I got to say it's working like a charm!
As soon as I started SGT on my watch, I got stable HR reading with no droppings at all, although neither the Locus Wear app, nor the SGT app was running in the foreground, I saw my watchface the whole time.

So I think Majka is completely right, somehow SGT "forces" the HRM sensor's SW-side in a stronger way than the locus add-on and that way the readouts are always executed, regardless of the watches' state. (During testing my display was off, until I raised my hand, but it did not matter for Locus, the measurements were always made)

Also I noticed a significantly more severe battery drain on both my watch and phone when SGT was running along with the locus add-on, so it would be really great if this workaround was not necessary  :)

Here is my screenshot with time on the x axis:

Oh and yes, the zero values on the plot were present until I started SGT.
  •  

Marie Zemanova

Quote from: fera on September 19, 2018, 14:53:59
Also I noticed a significantly more severe battery drain on both my watch and phone when SGT was running along with the locus add-on, so it would be really great if this workaround was not necessary  :)
I wouldn't expect much lower battery drain from dropping the SGT should it not be necessary.

The main difference in battery consumption on the watch is because Locus alone doesn't get the HR sensor working. On the phone, there might be slightly more battery drain if the SGT app on phone is running as well. Additional difference would be that probably more communication is happening over BT when the HR is working fine as well.
  •  

Danjel Rojka

Another thing, would it be possible to set and save the dashboards depending on the activity? Further it is only possible to set the dashboards when the recording is running. It is not possible to set the dashboards before.
  •  

milan.cejnar

@Danjel Rojka
Hello, sorry I have forgotten to answer your last question. Dashboard presets depending on the selected track recording profile is a good idea and it could be really useful. It is not planned at the moment (I will be focusing mainly on communication issues in the next update) but some time later I think this could be doable.
Dashboard configuration without (i.e. before) active track recording would be a nice to have feature but I think it is not exactly a deal breaker. I will definitely keep this in mind though.

Anyway, for you all guys, there is a new 1.1.7 version for the watch (phone version remained at 1.1.6). There are only minor fixes i.e. there was a problem with opening the menu on some older watches and some crashes or weird behavior during track recording start. I also added "wake lock" to the track recording service on the watch so now the service should really be running in the background reliably but it will not probably solve issues with HRM caused by communication problems.
So maybe just try the new version out and see if it helped in any way or if it is the same. Any other feedback or reports of problems are also very welcome :)

Also sorry that there is once again kind of less activity with the Wear add-on but I am pretty busy with writing a new Locus add-on for Samsung Gear/Galaxy Watch at the moment. We are hoping that we will be able to unify parts of the Gear and Wear add-ons later so both add-ons could benefit from the development.

Have a nice weekend!
  •  

sbouju

Hi everybody! :)
Can (or could be) "Wear for Locus" be installed on a secondary standard Android "slave" machine, instead on an "wearable" one?
  •  

milan.cejnar

@sbouju Hi,
Wear OS and Android are practically identical and share a lot of APIs, but generally the answer is no because the Wear OS part is also using some features and components that are not present in normal Android. Significant parts of the code from the add-on could be reused to make such "slave" add-on for normal Android but it is unfortunately not that trivial and the Wear add-on cannot be installed to Android OS as is.
The Wear for Locus Map add-on's code is open-sourced so anyone could try to hack the existing code and port it to make a new Android add-on. But neither Menion nor I plan to make such an add-on in any foreseeable future unfortunately.

Btw. I am curious what your use case would be - could you please send me a PM? :) Is it because of Android OS watch or for some other reason?
  •  

sbouju

Thank you for this answer !  :)

Quote from: milan.cejnar on October 18, 2018, 16:04:05
... I am curious what your use case would be...
For example, I can think of a master full Locus working on a large tablet, well protected in a bag, and a slave one with less possibilities, working on a rugged, waterproof, etc., a little unit I can wear like a watch on my wrist, like are the Unihertz "Jelly Pro" and (soon available) "Atom".

Similary, I am a very old user of the "qtVlm" program, a powerfull marine navigation application working on all plateforms, and which is going to work very soon with such another extension ("qtVlm Companion"), installable indifferently on a Android wear unit or on a more  "classic" smartphone, assuming (for example) the main program is working on a PC inside the boat.

Peter Jurík

Hi Milan,

are you planning to release new version for android wear  standalone app or always it will be depend on mobile?
  •  

milan.cejnar

@Peter Jurík
Hello, at the moment we are not planning on adding stand-alone functionality for Wear OS platfrom.
  •  

sbouju

Hi,
Is there somewhere a specific and complete documentation about all can be done with the couple LocusMap - Wear for Locus ?

Edit: found this: https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:add-ons:wearforlocus
  •  

Menion

Hi, probably the wrong topic? Here it is focused on "Wear" watches, so the author of "Garmin" addon is definitely not watching this topic.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sbouju

Oooops...!
Sorry, Menion, I had even not seen my mistake, thank for your answer and for the notification system  ;)
I shall try to clear have cleared my above message, as it relate a disapeared problem...
  •  

sbouju

Playing again from time to time with the couple Locus Map (on a OnePlus 3T) & my Sony Smartwatch 3...

My today's question...: can the watch launch itself the Locus Map app recording on the smartphone, of the app on the smartphone needs to be launched first (for me, it is this second behaviour)?
  •  

finn

Hey Milan,

thanks for developing the wear os app. I actually switched to locus map for outdoor navigation because of the wear os addon. I would like to see the map further developed as I think it is already very good, but could be better :).

I use an ticwatch pro (2020) in combination with my Pixel 3A both on the latest update.

So I noticed that when displaying gpx tracks I sometimes have a graphical glitch when looking at my watch while hiking/biking. The gpx track is randomly off by a few meters zooming in and out corrects the position of the gpx track. By off I mean the track is relatively moved to the map material.

When I use guideance in combination with the watch it is quiet responsive when lift my wrist to look at it.

When I don't use guideance it sometimes is very slow to update the map. And often does not show the crosshair with the current position. Tapping on any zoom button seems to make the update of the current position faster.

If could make wishes I would like locus map to use the vibration and speaker of the watch. And in any future it would be nice to use the watches gps, download the map material along a gpx track onto the watch and use guideance from the watch.

Kind reagrds

finn
  •  

Menion

Hello finn,
developing of add-ons for the Wear and Gear watches is currently paused, thanks for understanding.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •