Wear for Locus Map beta testing

Started by milan.cejnar, December 06, 2017, 19:50:53

milan.cejnar

@skwal
that is odd. And the map was in the ambient mode and zoom buttons were hidden? Because in ambient mode the touch screen should be disabled and the app should be woken up from the ambient first (by button/wrist gesture etc.) It would explain why application seemed unresponsive - swipe to dismiss the application should have not been working either though. Not receiving updates to the map is definitely a bug.

@Peter Jurík
thanks for a description of the problem, something is definitely wrong, will look into it.
  •  

skwal

Quote from: milan.cejnar on December 13, 2017, 08:18:14
@skwal
that is odd. And the map was in the ambient mode and zoom buttons were hidden? Because in ambient mode the touch screen should be disabled and the app should be woken up from the ambient first (by button/wrist gesture etc.) It would explain why application seemed unresponsive - swipe to dismiss the application should have not been working either though. Not receiving updates to the map is definitely a bug.

i can´t tell you
i was on the bike and it was in the evening. so the display was hard to read
but when in ambient mode the display can´t be woken up by tap my watch is most of the time not in ambient mode. the display is inverted but i can always wake my watch by tapping on it.
and am happy with that. my watch core is mounted on the bike, so no side button or a really tiny one and also gesture deactiveted

edit: small testride: the watch is in ambient mode, map inverted, zoom buttons hidden.
But i can wake it by tapping on the screen

skwal

the crash of the watch at the first Start happend again today.

whats new in the new Version?
  •  

milan.cejnar

@skwal I have sent you a PM regarding the bug

Anyway, new beta version doesn't really bring any new features, it's mostly some bug fixes and optimalizations and small UI changes. There will still be some issues until new version of Locus Map comes out. But all in all I would say the add-on is almost ready for release and we plan to keep working on it gradually adding new features and improvements in the next months.
  •  

Peter Jurík

@milan

Hi,

Latest version is for me stable. I 'm using with sleep mode. When watch are woken up application is correctly showing my position.

I'm looking forward for zooming with hardware buttons and other features.
  •  

milan.cejnar

Hello guys,
I have just published version 1.0.0 of the add-on. Again no new features but this should be really stable release and is intended to be used with the last Locus Map v3.28.0.
We plan to start gradually adding some new features now that the add-on is (hopefully) stable enough.

Please if you will have any problems with the add-on and you use Locus Map v3.28.0 then I will be glad if you report it here or since it is no longer beta you can also report it as usual to our help desk help.locusmap.eu

If you really want some new feature and you will find the time please add it as usual as an idea to our help desk so that others could vote and we could see which features would be preferred.

Finally feel free to continue this thread or even start a new thread here at the forum if you have any general feedback and/or interesting topic regarding wear add-on which you would want to discuss :)

Hope you will find the add-on useful and will enjoy using it during your outdoor activities :)
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

mzperx

Hi Milan,

thank you for this addon! Saturday I did a 3 hour workout with this addon and it worked fine. It was stable and fast. I used 1.5 hours with "display always on" mode and 1.5 hours with "display always on" disabled. In the first case the application consumed abut 10% battery and in the second case about 35%.
I have Nexus 5x with Android 8 and Samsung Gear Live with Android Wear 1.5.
One can use "always on" mode in workouts <3 hours and for longer workouts the "always on" mode should be disabled.

Some suggestions:
#Wet clothes can cause unexpected touches on the screen this is why better if you put recording controls to different page or combine the controls with unimportant statistical data in this case the user will not leave the screen here and it will not cause any unexpected touch a trouble with recording.
#Device and wear battery level indicators and/or alerts,
#configurable statistical data (what I want to see in the stat panel is depends on the workout),
#configurable ambient mode (invert mode on/off)

sbouju

Hi everybody,

Is this forum topic the best and only place for finding all useful info about the use of Locus with an Android wear watch ?

I have not yet such a watch, at this time, so I should be very interested to see a short list of the best suitable models for Locus, and pros/cons of each models...
  •  

mzperx

@sbouju

I think there is no "the best suitable models for Locus". The addon can run on newer and on older devices too. I have Samsung Gear Live (it was released in 2014) and the addon works fine for me.
There is no special requirements for the watch because this addon is only a visual extension of the phone applicaton. It doesn't use any special hardware of the watch (eg. hearth rate/gps etc...) it shows only what the phone collected.
I suggest that you choose a watch what best fits your requirements (functionality/looks like etc...) and then you can ask it here may someone has experience with that watch with Locus.
The only thing what I would consider if bought a watch the hardware buttons. In my experience the touch screen is unusable when it raining. The actual addon doesn't support buttons but maybe it will in the future.

sbouju

>> I suggest that you choose a watch what best fits your requirements (functionality/looks like etc...) and then you can ask it here may someone has experience with that watch with Locus.

As an ex-Casio watches addict, but living now (and happy) with a (not-Android-wear) Garmin fenix 2, one I should consider attentively among some others is this under...

Anyway, see under a very satisfying LocusWrist solution ;)

milan.cejnar

I can confirm that all watches running Android Wear should be supported. The add-on is currently intended as a companion app to the Locus Map running on the phone so there are no special HW requirements for the watch. Support of HW buttons and "rotating side button" is planned.
  •  

sbouju

Tested yesterday in some physical stores around me: the main problem is that it is difficult to know if such or such "smart watch" they sell is working under Android Wear 2.0 or not... And vendors generally don't know!
  •  

sbouju

Does somebody knows if the Xiaomi Amazfit "Pace 2" and "Pace 2S" watches are (will be?) 100% OK for this purpose...?

•  

skwal

Quote from: sbouju on January 07, 2018, 11:15:59
Does somebody knows if the Xiaomi Amazfit "Pace 2" and "Pace 2S" watches are (will be?) 100% OK for this purpose...?

just check for android wear. so No

Testet the newest versions many times: no crash at start and no other problems. just working.

My only whish: rotating map on the watch.

sbouju

>>just check for android wear. so No

Thanks...

And same thing with the Sony SmartWatch3 SWR50, I fear...

•