vector maps

Started by jusc, June 09, 2011, 10:01:47

Menion

Ok, so actual solution is not a good solution :))

Hi Menion,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

This suspension is temporary (3 days for the first time).

Please visit Dropbox support if you have any questions.

- The Dropbox Team

Hmm, so any tips for not too expensive data storage?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

berkley

Just wanted to post here, that your server is down... :(

What amount of data traffic do you need?
I guess complete world in vector maps are about 50GB?
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

nono, it's about 25GB ...

I expect every user per month around 1GB, so it's more then 100TB ...

hmm by (http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/) it's around ... hmm ... 7400$ per month ... ehm Nice :) damn

ehm, so this is not a solution. Only solution should be payed download
  •  

berkley

Ok... not good. What do you mean by "paid download"?
Should the end user pay for the download?
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"I expect every user per month around 1GB

If there are no restrictions that might be true, because people will do stupid things like downloading every US state or every European country just in case they want to look at them! If you restrict it though, then I think that estimate is high. If you download a few 100Mb country, and update that once every 6 months, that is not so bad. You could restrict it by just cutting people off, or you could do it by making them pay, or you could just provide a limited, but dedicated bandwidth. See //http://www.crucialp.com/dedicated-servers/unmetered-dedicated-bandwidth-dedicated-servers.php Unless I misunderstand the site, the total download size per month is simply limited by the server bandwidth. A 50Mbit server would give you about 15Tb per month. The limited bandwidth would discourage the idiots from massive downloads of the entire world (and maybe you could also enforce a weekly or monthly cutoff), and it would cost you $550 per month. Still high enough that maybe we would have to pay to download, but at least we would have to pay less  :mrgreen:
  •  

flybyray

Why not using some sort of torrent for distribution?
Does Linus Torvalds has a wishlist for git? :D I would wish me a git with torrent transfer.
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "flybyray"Why not using some sort of torrent for distribution?
Does Linus Torvalds has a wishlist for git? :D I would wish me a git with torrent transfer.

This surely would work for you, as you seem to be an advanced user with some knowledge of downloading and putting the files to the right place. Please have  look at installed numbers of Locus Free and Pro. I bet there are less advanced users than you. There has to be a solution that works with the easy quality than before. Just click "download" in the app and your map gets downloaded.
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

boboC550

And what about creating individual paid app for each vector map, as an add-on? For exemple the map of Austria would cost 1 EUR (map of France 2 EUR, depending on the amount of data to download) and that would pay off the price of server sharing. The question however is how to pay the update of new vector maps... Just an idea...
  •  

berkley

And what about app piracy?

Stolen apps will cause traffic too without paying for the service...
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

boboC550

Yes, that is a problem. And what about an in-app paying? I heard something about it... It is used mainly in games but I have never seen it (or was it in Tank Hero?)
  •  

Menion

yes this is probably solution. Seems only working solution for me. When I create some protection mechanism then this should work. All other services are not stable, usually is required any captcha or something that do not allow directly download files. And also .. more then 100k users is more then 100k users and this overload almost every service :)
  •  

MaleSmurf

I just found the "addressdb" folder on the mapsforge ftp-server. There you can find files (i.e.  country.sqlite) in SQL database format. Is it possible to use these files working in Locus together with the vector maps???

I opened such a file and it contains cities, boroughs, postcodes, roads, roads_postcodes, roads_boroughs. Every road is listed with lat/lon  8-)
  •  

wvb

Quote from: "MaleSmurf"I opened such a file and it contains cities, boroughs, postcodes, roads, roads_postcodes, roads_boroughs. Every road is listed with lat/lon  8-)
Now this sounds interesting!
If we could locate a street while being offline for compass navigation..
Great for when on vacation..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  •  

Ted Quinlan

Wouldn't the first step be to remove the option of downloading vector maps from the free version? I don't know the free/pro ratio but I suppose that there are many more free than pro users. As a second step you could think about per-map-payment in the pro version...

Sent from my Defy
  •  

rijackson741

Menion. Even if we have to pay for the download service (which I don't mind doing; I assume the cost would not be that great), we would still be able to load our own vector maps directly onto the SD card, correct?
  •