Elevation gain

Started by Cory McAlpin, November 06, 2016, 01:03:24

michaelbechtold

The first link is very comprehensive and worth reading beginning to end. And you will find the handling of baro, too.
  •  

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: michaelbechtold on November 21, 2016, 13:39:33
The first link is very comprehensive and worth reading beginning to end. And you will find the handling of baro, too.

Yeah that first link I had already found before I was given it. Good reading for sure!  So now that I followed the instructions on that first link and turned the "use baro switch " on, do I still need to "fill elevation" after a track is done recording?
  •  

michaelbechtold

If baro is calibrated then it should be more accurate than SRTM based Fill. Calibration is the key with baro. Good luck !

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

lor74cas

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on November 21, 2016, 13:27:35
Quote from: lor74cas on November 21, 2016, 12:43:28
For global info: http://www.locusmap.eu/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-elevation-in-locus-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

I do not have a pressure sensor so when I found that altitude data of the recorded track with just gps are crazy I tried to solve.

First you need a good accuracy of recorded track points:
settings -> track rec -> choose your profile settings --> requested accuracy set a strict value (for me 30mt)

Second you can have better SRTM values using HGT files with 1" arc insted of 3"
http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/hgt-elevation-data-display-if-both-1%E2%80%9D-and-3%E2%80%9D-resolution-hgt-files-are-present-in-the-srtm-directory
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/Coverage%20map%20viewfinderpanoramas_org1.htm
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

and if you want a costant application of srtm data and bypass the "fill data.." after track recorded use this:
in settings -> gps and position -> altitude manager -> settings -> srtm data -> replace gps values

Does this stuff you are telling me apply to me since I have a baro sensor or just to someone who is using a device WITHOUT a baro sensor? I hate to just start changing values i do not understand if it is going to make it worse for my particular phone. With a baro sensor do I still want to bypass the fill data and replace gps track values or is this just what you did because of the device you were using with no baro sensor?

You started this topic with a question about elevation gain, not about pressure sensor settings, after some posts we now know that your device has the pressure sensor.
Before this we also talk about SRTM.
If someone else in future will read this topic will find something usefull about elevation gain becouse the post title is ELEVATION GAIN.

If you wonder if "this stuff" is about pressure sensor, read carefully what I wrote "I do not have a pressure sensor", nothing in my post is about pressure sensor.

And if you "hate to just start changing values i do not understand ..." you can start study how things work, you didn't know to use side panel, you didn't know that "Elevation gain = elevation (uphill)" now you know becouse someone used his time to answer you even if this things are explained in the documentation and in other posts.

Now I can answer your questions:
1) No
2) This is just what I do because my device has no pressure sensor.

P.S.
Strava does not have the truth, no software and no device has the truth.
Put the same track gpx file into 3 different account with different algorithms you'll obtain 3 different altitude gain.
I use Locus on two phones (no baro) and a garmin forerunner and you'll see that the 3 tracks have differences not only about the altitude gain.
I agree with michaelbechtold "Elevation collected from GPS in mobile devices is like rolling the dice around the true curve."
So you need to study wich way is better for you/your device/your habits/place of use.

Regards
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion