Uploaded GC logs have a false date

Started by big, November 20, 2016, 00:04:00

big

For some weeks now, GC logs, that I upload to geocaching.com, are time shifted by + 8 hours.

Could it be, that a false time zone is used?

Cheers, big

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

Menion

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

big

Hi menion,

Thanks for the reply.  I've tested it wit the following results for uploading field notes.  I did two logs on 20.11.2016, 11:23 (Berlin time) with the following result (second with date-only option checked):

Zur Brücke   20 November 2016 19:13:00     Write Note   Compose Log | Delete Note
   Waypoint Type Zur Brücke   21 November 2016 05:00:00     Didn't find it   Compose Log | Delete Note

So, no precise hit...

I remember a setting from the log dialog to specify the time zone (witch did not worked properly either...

Cheers, big.
  •  

Menion

From your second post, I'm not sure what exactly is a problem.

Where do you see that times are really incorrectly shifted? Are you checking times in download GPX from geocaching.com page? Did you also tried to log a cache directly over web geocaching.com and compare results with log over Locus Map?
  •  

big

Hi Menion,

so, what I did was the following: on 20.11.2016, 11:23 (Berlin time) I created two logs with Locus and uploaded them to geocaching.com as field notes. Now, the two field notes (https://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx) look look this:

So, the first field note (created with date-only option unchecked) has a time offset of +8 hours.
The second one (created with checked date-only option) has a time offset of +18 hours (minutes are truncated, due to checked option, I believe) and is even for the following day.

Now, this difference in time for the first field note is the diff between MEZ and PST, I guess, but the second diff? And, is it not possible to adjust this?
Interestingly, this problem raised about 2 weeks ago, until then, it worked pretty good.

I hope, you can explain and/or solve it...

Thanks!

Cheers, big.

•  

Menion

Good day big,
suggest not to look on times, visible in this "field notes" list. They are at least "incorrect".

What I really do when I test this feature, is checking of logged times in downloaded GPX file.

Here should be correct times. So in case of "date only", there needs to be exactly same time as when you log over gecocaching.com web page, where is no setting for a time, only a date. In case of unchecked "date only", there should be time in UTC-8 .
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion,
there is also another exchange about timestamps. Question: does Locus take the time from the GP Signal (I mean the pair of (time, location(, so last fix is no issue), or do you have no access to thsi raw data and have to accept the device time ?
TXs and cheers
Michael
  •  

Menion

Except really rare cases (except some tasks around downloading of maps), Locus always used device time ...

big

Quote from: menion on November 21, 2016, 08:37:57
Good day big,
suggest not to look on times, visible in this "field notes" list. They are at least "incorrect".

What I really do when I test this feature, is checking of logged times in downloaded GPX file.

Here should be correct times. So in case of "date only", there needs to be exactly same time as when you log over gecocaching.com web page, where is no setting for a time, only a date. In case of unchecked "date only", there should be time in UTC-8 .
Hi menion,

But when I use the uploaded field notes, I get the false day when I open the log page.

And: why did this worked perfectly some weeks ago? What changed in the mean time? And: are there options in Locus to make field notes upload work again?

Now, using the field notes, we really have to look carefully to the "real" date and cannot trust the file note upload anymore...

Thank you for taking care...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

big

Hi,

...me again....

Now, I did some further testing. I created a fieldnotes.txt file as an export from Locus Fieldnotes plugin.
This is the contents:

GC6G8M2,2016-11-24T08:10Z,Found it,"# 7879, 24.11.2016, 09:10  Online Log. Später mehr...  Danke für den Cache!  Gruß, bigchen."

As you can see, I found it 08:10 UTC, 9:10 MEZ.
Now I uploaded the log using the Fieldnotes Plugin via Locus as fieldnotes and I imported it using the upload function from geocaching.com.
This is the result (first entry from the web site upload, second one from Locus upload):

So, I got a time diff from about 8 hours when sending logs with Locus.

Anyone any idea? If I can do some more testing, just tell me.... ;-)

I also tired to change my time zone in my geocaching.com profile, but this only adjusted the times shown in the field notes list.

Thanks for taking care!

Cheers, big.
  •