Sonny's LiDAR Digital Terrain Models of Europe

Started by Sonny, September 11, 2016, 21:17:19

Sonny

Dear Locus map creators and users!

I want to tell you, that I've created several Digital Terrain Models (DTMs), which are based on precise Opendata LiDAR-elevation data of the country's Geographical Institutes.
You can find all infos and download links on the following Website:

https://sonny.4lima.de

The improvements in accuracy, quality and fine details of my model's elevations compared to those of the popular SRTM-datasets are enormous. Especially in mountainous terrain.

You can use these new DTMs to create improved, more accurate contour lines in maps. Or you can copy the files for the area of your interest into the correct folder of Locus to improve dynamic elavation values and the shading of the maps in these areas.

Yours, Sonny

Andrew Heard

Top effort @Sonny. I checked some routes I planned in Slovenia a few months ago, and the visual improvement in calculated gradient is amazing. Much less noise too. Are there plans for other countries, for example France, Switzerland, and the remainder of Italy?

Maybe a question for @Arndt, I presume for BRouter to make better routing decisions involving elevation the RD5 files would need to incorporate the new HGT/ GeoTIFF data?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Sonny

If the country's Lidar-elevation data is Opendata, then maybe. But those of Switzerland, France are not available free. And for Italy (exempt South Tyrol) I'm unsure about the situation. And if Opendata - where to find LiDAR sources of the whole country.

balloni55

Hi sonny
screenshots looks very good 8) thanks

before i start testing a few small questions
QuoteOr you can copy the files for the area of your interest into the correct folder of Locus
- data/strm ??
- if so, should be the availabe hgt files of this area deleted?
- all files of unpacked zip, or only tif file?
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Sonny

First of all:
- Just download the 1"-sec versions of the DTMs (or if you have little available memory on your phone: 3"-sec).
Not the 20m and 50m-versions, Locus can not use them.

- Yes, copy the .hgt-files into data/srtm folder of Locus.

- If there are already equal named files in this directory, just overwrite them (they have been automatically downloaded by Locus before and are based on less accurate SRTM-data)

You don't have to copy each .hgt-file of a country, just for the areas you are interested in.
Each elevation file (.hgt) represends exactly 1° x 1°, which could automatically derived from the filename. The filename specifies the southwest corner, e.g. "N47E014.hgt" represends an area from N47° to N48° latitude and E14° to E15° longitude.

- If you copied them I recommend to start Locus and once execute
Menu > Settings > Miscellaneous > Clear temporary data > (check all points)
to make sure, no old cached elevation or shading remain.

Dejan Jeremić Jera

Can you please make 1"-sec versions of those for Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Macedonia and Croatia  :)
  •  

michaelbechtold

The first step is a site to download the LIDAR raw data free of charge.
Do you have links to those data sets ??
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: sonny on September 12, 2016, 10:31:20
If the country's Lidar-elevation data is Opendata, then maybe. But those of Switzerland, France are not available free. And for Italy (exempt South Tyrol) I'm unsure about the situation. And if Opendata - where to find LiDAR sources of the whole country.
OK thanks for reply. One day...
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

jonny.blue

•  

Talbi

One of the best improvements for Locus since i use it,
all my tracks (the elevation data) are much more realistic than before, tipi-topi!!

THANKS A LOT !!
  •  

Christian

Thanks from me also.
The elevation gain of my alpine tracks got.... lower ;)
  •  

Sonny

Tapio

Is there an all-in-one package? It's not too much data (in terms of megabytes) AFAICS...
But first and foremost I have to thank you!
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

erfi

Hallo sonny, the LiDAR Terrain Models are wonderful. Many thanks!
Is it planned to create a LiDAR 1" Terrain Model of "Sächsische Schweiz" (N50E014.hgt)?
  •