Automatically add altitude when adding a new point

Started by forza_stiinta, July 11, 2011, 09:23:48

forza_stiinta

When adding a new point, Locus opens up the form, where you enter name and description. It automatically fills in latitude and longitude, but not the altitude.

It would be great to have the altitude auto-inserted too.

Thanks!
  •  

Menion

hmm but altitude adding require internet connection so I think this one click should be done manually by the user and no automatically
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

forza_stiinta

Why does altitude need internet connection?

The only reason for internet need is getting the altitude from the only maps, but I have downloaded the maps, and Locus can tell me the altituded of any point on the map. Moreover the altitude is also computed using the GPS, and it is displayed on the main screen. Can't Locus just take it from gps and fill it in, or from the offline maps, in case it lacks internet connection?
  •  

Menion

and where should I can take altitude if GPS is off? Map is only image ... no altitude values!
1) you can add or edit point no matter where you are! So altitude from GPS have not to fit coordinates. Anyway when you press New button next to coordinates and then GPS, it also fill altitude value
2) used is Google Elevation API which require internet connection
  •  

forza_stiinta

In my case, I was trekking in the mountains, the GPS was on, yet when I added points, the altitude was "0.000" by default.

I undestand your point, but it should be more intuitive and easy for the user. You are with the gps on, the center of the map is exactly on the GPS location, why not automatically get GPS data in the form?

I did not know about the "New" button. I was trying to use the phone as quickly as possible to save battery.

Thanks for the quick replies.
  •  

Menion

you're welcome ... Ok, you're correct in one way .. if you add point in place where is GPS, I can fill altitude value from gps
  •  

forza_stiinta

or maybe a batch edit for points to fill in the altitude when  you have internet connection?
  •  

Menion

batch fill of altitude for points and tracks is already there. For points it's in Points manager screen, for tracks it's when you click in Track screen on one track ...
  •