old offline addresses discussion

Started by balloni55, March 08, 2016, 12:40:38

balloni55

Hi Petr
first question before i start
QuoteSo in /Locus/vectorMaps has to be placed vector map file and address db file with the same namepart.
i own a complete germany map, for download you provide  germany north and south :-[
how can i manage this??
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

balloni55

thanks, with renamed file it work ;)

revers search didn´t work for me with airplane mode, get always "Unknown address"

first idea, auto "zoom in" to target would be nice :)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

ta-ka

@voldapet - Thanks! For now, I'm testing with malta db which is very small file size and easy to download.

One comment. It looks strange that the message "No results found, modify your input" is shown before starting street name search (just after tapping one of the city name search result). How do you think?
  •  

Menion

UI and usability is on me as usually, search results (usually) and what is/isn't generated are on Petr.

Databases for tests are currently limited to just a few countries. So please don't ask for a missing countries. Coverage will be same as with LoMaps (every map will have own database). For now is available what is already generated.

@ta-ka: agree, I'll try to do something with it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

With the size of those DB files it is essential that people can download the DBs separately from the map files, also pay separately for the associated traffic (cost recovered by your LoPoints).
  •  

Menion

Not clear why it is essential? Anyway this option is not planned and I give quite low chance it will be implemented. Anyway you may vote about it here: http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/separating-poi-db-downloads-from-map-downloads

Main reason why I'm against this option, is that form my opinion, common users that do not use any alternative map sources like OAM and similar, should not care if they download one file or more files, they just get pack of "something" that can search, display points and a map. This "separation" is useful only for a minority of users and because we have currently around 300 maps for whole world, I currently can't imagine that we add another 300 items as separate databases. My opinion, not final, but 'almost'. Have to discuss later with Petr, but I think he will have quite similar.
  •  

voldapet

@michaelbechtold - It's not common but I have to agree with menion. Users should have everything packaged as one map - no matter what is behind

@balloni55 do you try reverse in correct part (south or north) Germany?

EDIT
@john_percy really still in Europe? :) I'm sorry. However same as ta-ka. I'll prepare other packages in next days
  •  

michaelbechtold

You rightfully mention OAM,  and there are other interesting maps, too. It comes down to the question if you respect your customers, or if you want to take them as hostages. 'You want this feature ? Then you have to pay for this other thing, too, although you do not need it.' This is not a technical topic,  but a business ethic one ...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

balloni55

Quotedo you try reverse in correct part (south or north) Germany?
i´ve renamed "_germany_south.osm.db"  to "_germany.osm.db" and copied it to map vector/europa/germany, here are also
_germany.osm.map and other german vector maps.

see screencast:
by the way: sec. 38-64 enjoy loading map!! :'(

1.42, 1.49, 2.00 attempt reverse adress search > "Unknown address"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clqu27vlcjbjg4a/adress%20search.mp4?dl=0
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Andrew Heard

So exciting - lots of people have been waiting a long time for this feature. Some initial comments:-

• "In most of cases: /Locus/vectorMaps/" - on my phone at at least it is mapsVector
  • I downloaded DB for France as test because I have France map although I live in Australia
    when I type with keyboard auto suggest city Paris<space> the only result is "Paris Gagne", when I remove the trailing space (which I didn't type) I get more results including the capital Paris. So I suggest removing leading/ trailing whitespace characters before searching.
  • when I type Paris > 42 rue Saint-Sebastien (a hotel I stay at), there are no results, or for just rue Saint-Sebastien, but I can see the road name on the map - coord N48'51.695 E02'22.261
  • this is OSM https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/63640415 - is it possible the accent above the E character is missing? I tried adding a hyphen between words (I hope this isn't necessary
  • so I try searching for a close-by road Rue Oberkampf which has no special characters - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4039537 but still no results
  • I then enabled long tap from Settings > Map - Control & Panels > Enable address display, and then long tap each road - label popup = Unknown address?
  • so I give up until helpful suggestions
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

@michalebechtold: well, even if you respect your customers, it is a good idea to change for them "something", that will complicate life of majority of them? I don't think so. This is not a question of price or bussiness (as price remains as low as possible), it is a question of simplicity and usability. Anyway I'll try to do some measurements about usage of various types of maps (number of users of LoMaps and other sources) and we will see if worth it think about this option in any way (when so, then probably not directly over Locus Store).

@Andrew, @balloni55: thanks for a feedback, we are now spending time mainly on new version of Locus Map (planned on tomorrow), so we will check all problems at Friday or at start of next week, thanks.
  •  

voldapet

@Andrew, @balloni55 problem with Unknown address is my mistake during generation. Please wait for next version of DB addresses (tomorrow or Friday)

@Andrew - would you please give exactly the term you write into "Street" field? I've tried to write "Rue Saint-Sebas" and Locus whispers correct values. Maybe the screenshot would be fine
  •  

jajaballard

Hello ,
Just for my understanding:

Why is it necessary to have a separate address-db file?   
I thought a vector map file  (eg generated by mapsforge like OAM) should have all information enclosed to perform a search on geo-locations and addresses. Or is it working in another way?
  •  

voldapet

@jajaballard
Honestly I don't know if OAM contains offline addresses. As I know there is a Mapsforge project that offers offline POIs but I guess that is still in beta version. Offline addresses are our internal solution that extends old offline POI DB feature. For this reason are data separated from map file.  However for final users will be available as one package via Locus Store.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: voldapet on March 09, 2016, 08:33:30
@Andrew - would you please give exactly the term you write into "Street" field? I've tried to write "Rue Saint-Sebas" and Locus whispers correct values. Maybe the screenshot would be fine
Thanks @voldapet but I did specify exact street field in my previous post. I also tried your "Rue Saint-Sebas" but no results, see below. Menion suggests known issue.

LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •