Where are the big points of Locus

Started by Mr. Hobo, December 06, 2015, 17:04:06

Mr. Hobo

Hello locus team,

thank you for the great app , which I use for some years now.
In the meanwhile I saw a lot of updates inside like new structure of Locus and new looks and most functions for geocaching.
But I´m not a geocacher, I´m too old to dig for kids treasures,  ;D
I´m using locus with my tablet with a lot of maps and I want to ask, why Locus doesn´t still
1. support 3D view
2. free hand rotating map
3. storing wms tiles
4. offline address search?

Thanks for reading
Mr. Hobo

•  

Menion

Good day Mr. Hobo,

important features for one person, not always has same importance for others.

1. no time for one developer to learn this and do this, and no other person in out small team to do it. Btw. you may still vote here: http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/3d_maps_by_using_srtm_files

2. already possible: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:maps_settings:screen , "Simple multi-touch" settings

3. already discussed in many topics: http://help.locusmap.eu/search/wms%20offline . Locus currently cache last 1000 loaded map tiles

4. work in progress, will be done withing few months max.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Mr. Hobo

Hello menion,

Thank you for your quick response.

1. I understand, but this idea is 3 years old. Are you sure, that if I support this idea as number 85 you would start with implementing this feature? How much supporters are needed?

2. I can´t figure it out, maybe my fault, I want to rotate the map with 2 fingers, for example, 45° (sorry for my bad English)

3. I understand, it´s not really planed,

4. so I will wait for this.

Thank you
Mr. Hobo
  •  

Menion

Hmm,

1. there is no number of votes, since I start work on this task. I forward users to various topics mainly because when then vote for this topic, they will get an email notification that something has changed. I do not know if I ever start work on this feature. My expectations are around 3 months of intensive work to make this feature at least little bit working and it's too much for now.

2. try to DISABLE "Simple multi-touch", then rotation with two fingers should work

3. it is not planned because it is not simply possible as I tried to explain on a few places already
  •  

Mr. Hobo

Quote from: menion on December 07, 2015, 09:12:01
Hmm,

1. there is no number of votes, since I start work on this task. I forward users to various topics mainly because when then vote for this topic, they will get an email notification that something has changed. I do not know if I ever start work on this feature. My expectations are around 3 months of intensive work to make this feature at least little bit working and it's too much for now.

I see 84 "likes".  http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/3d_maps_by_using_srtm_files.

2. try to DISABLE "Simple multi-touch", then rotation with two fingers should work
After 3 years of using Locus there is such an  easy solution?  :-[
Never thought about this .  :'(
Thank you
  •  

Menion

I wanted to say, then 1 vote or 1000 votes in this case (in case of this topic - 3D view), do not have a big influence. I would like to do it and learn something new, on second side this is not "mush have" feature for now. So when this will be done is not clear, sorry.
  •  

Mr. Hobo

Quote from: menion on December 07, 2015, 09:45:37
...this is not "mush have" feature for now. So when this will be done is not clear, sorry.

That´s one point of view, but not mine. As you can see in answer 4 and later  ( http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/3d_maps_by_using_srtm_files) there are good reasons for this.

I wanted to say, then 1 vote or 1000 votes in this case (in case of this topic - 3D view), do not have a big influence.
I understand, that´s a kind of arrogance to advise me to vote on this, knowing that you will ignore the user opinions?
Too bad , that´s more important to change some colors to black and white for "better"  viewing settings on sunny days instead.  ;)

•  

Menion

Main reason why I forwarded to this topic was already wrote before: "I forward users to various topics mainly because when then vote for this topic, they will get an email notification that something has changed".

And "ignore user opinion" ... funny to read this. And yes, currently change of colors has higher priorities (generally usability has higher priority then a new features for now). Enjoy your day.
  •  

Mr. Hobo

Quote from: menion on December 07, 2015, 11:19:30
Main reason why I forwarded to this topic was already wrote before: "I forward users to various topics mainly because when then vote for this topic, they will get an email notification that something has changed".
ah ok, users wait and vote since 3 years, So they will get an email in ... years?  ;D

And "ignore user opinion" ... funny to read this. And yes, currently change of colors has higher priorities (generally usability has higher priority then a new features for now). Enjoy your day.
Did really any user ask for this? I can´t find something...
http://help.locusmap.eu/topics/all/status/all/category/all/sort/popular/page/1
Enjoy your day.
Thank you, but it sounds a bit like "Go away!".
  •  

Menion

Mr. Hobo, don't understand me bad, but this whole project is already for a few years not just one-man show. It is not just about "what user wants", but it also about "what to improve to make it generally better product". Voting on our help desk is just one part of Locus developing. Currently it has lower preferences then our company needs.

There are topic that should be nice to have, but many of them require enormous human sources (time), like 3D view. Based on many usability testing we did last months, we are trying to focus more on usability of whole app then on extra features. That's all.

And "Enjoy your day" was more "End of discussion" as I have nothing more to say here.
  •