Locus Addon HeartRateAlert

Started by benuli, March 10, 2015, 18:08:07

benuli

hi,
some months ago I have written a very simple addon for my personal use, that enables my phone to beep if a specific heart rate is reached. At the moment it only works with android 4.4 or maybe higher... (but I will change that in future).
Installation:
1.In your phone: Settings -> Security -> 'Allow installation of apps from unknown sources'
2.Download and install the apk from this post

Usage and first test:
1. open the app 'Locus - addon...' , the Locus symbol with the heart
2. to test that your phone will beep:
    - enter some value greater than 1 in the field left of ' beep if HR is lower' and check the checkbox at the right and 'Save Settings'
    - open locus pro and verify that there is one real important setting checked: Settings -> Miscellaneous -> 'Enable Periodic updates' , without this, there will be no beep!
   Now you should hear a single beep every five seconds or so.
If you hear that beep it works! (check your system sound settings, if you don't hear anything)
I took the sounds from a heart rate monitor in an emergency station. Maybe I make the sounds configurable, or some vibration...

Now you can activate your heart rate belt and connect it to Locus pro with the Bluetooth Manager and your smartphone should beep, dependend on your current heart rate.
The addon must not run always, it just works in background, the Userinterface is only for setting the alert zones. (if you forget to disable the checkbox 'beep if HR is lower', your smartphone will always start to beep, if you start Locus pro, even without a heart rate sensor in use.

It's my first Android app so be patient with me!
But I will try to help, if you get problems.

•  

ohgood

yesterday, i decided i wanted to track HR, and today, you shared your app. THANKS !

do you have any recommendations for good/cheap HR monitors, and any additional information about whether ANT or bluetooth is better for battery life ?

thanks again, when people write apps, we all LOVE them for it !
  •  

benuli

I use a Bluetooth 4 Sensor from Polar. Battery drain is not the Problem.  My longest use of locus with 2 Bluetooth Sensors active was about 10 hours with display on about 3 hours. The trick was to set my i9100G with CM11 installed in airplanemode and then only activate Bluetooth!
  •  

Calidris

Has anyone tried this on Android 5.0 and Samsung Galaxy S5? Seems it doesn't work for me or I am doing something wrong. I have Garmin ANT+ HRM. Thank you.

benuli

I'm sorry. I don't have Android 5.
  •  

LALocususer

@benuli Thank you for your contribution :)
  •  

benuli

With moto g 2014 and Android 5.0.2 it works
  •  

radek_9

Hi.
I can't see a link to download. Thanks for sending. Radek

edit
sorry I found it.
  •  

talybont

That is what I looked for. I will test with Xperia Z3.

edit
It works with Xperia Z3 and Android 5.1.1
Well done!!
  •  

zigzag

Hi,
I have made a very-very simple addon to tell on your heart rate zone changes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gilisztaturmixgmail.locus_addon_hr
  •  

Joska

Quote from: zigzag on January 22, 2017, 10:19:30
Hi,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gilisztaturmixgmail.locus_addon_hr

Hello (zigzag)

is there any manual, how to start and stop your add-on, how to change between the profiles?
Best regards, Joska
---
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: zigzag on January 22, 2017, 10:19:30
Hi,

Hi zigzag,

I have recently bought Xiaomi MI Band 4 and decided to try you addon.

It works as expected. I have even involved all 4 profiles. ( your values, original values from Band 4 ,  6 zone values from some training web with 2 different possible HRmax ).

There are various heart rate zoning generally, but many sources for common usage use five, round-percentage HR zones like your addon, with various zone name wording.

( Percentage of Max Heart Rate - HRmax )

50-60 Easy/Recovery
60-70 Fat burning  -long sustained effort
70-80 Aerobic
80-90 Anaerobic
90-100 Max HR rone/ VO2mx zone.

But I see one major difference.

Most of sources relate the zone percentage simply to HRmax, but your addon relate the percentage to interval HRrest-HRmax.  As my HRmin is about 32% of HRmax, it brings significant shifting toward HRmax.

Could you comment that ?

Experience notes:

I have realized I am in zones  usually 1--3 ( wrt HRmax, not wrt HRret-HRmax interval ) during fast walking, but at subjectively comparable exercise/breathing effort, I am in zones 3-5 ( 70-95%HR) during cycling.

I have to try going really slow and relaxed, subjectively feeling like very lazy cyclist, to be able to keep zone 3 and not going higher..

Perhaps my HRmax is higher then I suppose, I am 54 and my HRmax is supposed to be 166 ( 220-age ) or 170 ( 208-0.7.age ). I have used 170. Measure max rate by thge addon was 166 by I have invoved just 1 30s max effort during my 3.5hour bike trip. I have no trouble to sustain anaerobic zone 4 for 1-2 hours.

I was going to try High intensity interval training, recommended for faster fat burning ( 20 min warm up in zone 2, 4-6 cycles  ( 30s max effort + 4-5 min relax in zone 2 ).. I have realized zone 2 means very low effort cycling..

poutnikl

Quote from: Joska on September 22, 2018, 21:47:44Hello (zigzag)

is there any manual, how to start and stop your add-on, how to change between the profiles?
Best regards, Joska

Hello Joska,

in myexperience, there is no explicit start/stop for the addon. There much be established a connection to the HR monitor., in respective BlueTooth or ANT manager.

The realtime HR itself may be displayed by a suitable dashboard, and/or set to be initiated by a track recorder. In the latter, there is mentioned the avg and max HR withing the track statistics.

skwal

Quote from: benuli on March 10, 2015, 18:08:07hi,
some months ago I have written a very simple addon for my personal use, that enables my phone to beep if a specific heart rate is reached. At the moment it only works with android 4.4 or maybe higher... (but I will change that in future).
Installation:
1.In your phone: Settings -> Security -> 'Allow installation of apps from unknown sources'
2.Download and install the apk from this post

Usage and first test:
1. open the app 'Locus - addon...' , the Locus symbol with the heart
2. to test that your phone will beep:
    - enter some value greater than 1 in the field left of ' beep if HR is lower' and check the checkbox at the right and 'Save Settings'
    - open locus pro and verify that there is one real important setting checked: Settings -> Miscellaneous -> 'Enable Periodic updates' , without this, there will be no beep!
   Now you should hear a single beep every five seconds or so.
If you hear that beep it works! (check your system sound settings, if you don't hear anything)
I took the sounds from a heart rate monitor in an emergency station. Maybe I make the sounds configurable, or some vibration...

Now you can activate your heart rate belt and connect it to Locus pro with the Bluetooth Manager and your smartphone should beep, dependend on your current heart rate.
The addon must not run always, it just works in background, the Userinterface is only for setting the alert zones. (if you forget to disable the checkbox 'beep if HR is lower', your smartphone will always start to beep, if you start Locus pro, even without a heart rate sensor in use.

It's my first Android app so be patient with me!
But I will try to help, if you get problems.

os there a Chance to usw this with 14 ?
  •