Offline POI database

Started by balloni55, December 17, 2014, 19:47:12

balloni55

the old thread (http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3267.0) is closed,
so i start a new one :P

- the displayed iconsize of automatic loaded db-POI`s is very small, size should be equal POI´s or geocaches.
- why are icon size and presentation of automatic loaded db-POI`s  different to e.g. loadet POI`s arround?

menion wrote: automatic loaded POI`s depend on theme,
a few examples:
- e.g. "firestation" "emergency&health" are never visible? why??
- money "bank" is only visible with theme "city" and ZL >16.  Is this info not interesting for other theme users?
- "view point" is  only visible with theme "ski, cycle, hike" and ZL >14  why?

Is somewhere a list available" which theme display which POI`s" ?

Generaly i miss e.g.  "parking places" and "official phones"

From my point of view db-POI`s should always be displayed in version "points arround", optic and size fit much better ;) (second screenshot)
here an example of different displayed db-POI`s and size.

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

gynta

Menion

it depends on your latitude. Suggest to draw a circle with geocaching tools.

It should have same shape (I'm worried it won't and things starts to complicate  :P )

EDIT:
ah and this topic miss answer ... hmm so:

- size of automatically loaded points is created again by vector theme (anyway I'm aware that is miss "scale map" value)
- difference - points loaded automatically are - let's say points that match vector theme. Points you found and display by yourself should be a lot more visible because it was your interest to display them
- "firestation" - do not know. Are they visible in any vector theme? If you see them only as non-clickable points, they are probably missing in DB Poi
- "banks" - don't know, you have to ask Peter (wait for his answer) as he do content of these maps and this Poi database. Same with "view point"

- "which theme which points" - no
- parking places - http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/private-parking-should-not-be-in-poi-database

"From my point of view db-POI`s should always be displayed in version "points arround", optic and size fit much better ;) (second screenshot) here an example of different displayed db-POI`s and size."

- cannot agree. Purpose of this DB was - make visible points on vector map, clickable. Anyway feel free to open new topic on help desk. As usually, if there will be lot of users interested in something like that, I'll definitely do something with it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on December 19, 2014, 12:11:56it depends on your latitude.

ahh - i see only 12km to west and east, because 18,5km in Czech are smaller than 18,5km in Ecqador - very interesting..  ;D ;D

The point is: I selected Points 18,5 km arround me - so i expect a result of
18,5 Km to West,
18,5 Km to North
18,5 Km to East
and 18,5 Km to South

whether in Ecuador or in Finland.

edit
Quote from: menion on December 19, 2014, 12:11:56
Suggest to draw a circle with geocaching tools. It should have same shape
agree - it should.... (here in finland)

gynta

List of "Points arround" should be sorted by distance?
Scroll to end of list loading further POIs with unsorted entries.

voldapet

@balloni55

Icon Size
You're probably right. I can remember that I wanted to have POI icon bigger and also with shading effect to show that icon is "different" – in this case click-able. So why not, I think that this is interesting idea.

Never visible icons/pois
You're right that some icons or POIs are not visible because the themes for vector maps. But from my opinion should themes respect some map standards because POIs and map itself are still little bit separated. The question is – do you really need to have on map Fire station? Dentist or veterinary? I don't think so. I guess that we should improve the integration of POI db into vector maps.  For example to have the same icons in the list and on the map, add possibility to turn-on/off visibility of some group of POIs (independent on the theme). Do not hesitate create feature request on help desk and vote for it...

Phones
There were in the first beta version of POIdb. But we've removed them ... let's convince me that public phones are needed  :)
  •  

balloni55

thanks menion and peter for your answer,
i´ll create some feature requests as "idea" in helpdesk within the next days ;)

In search dialog is an option  "Remove history", but unfurtunately there are no previous used search words visible/stored to use them again.
Next point, i write a word to search for and "delete" it, but the search is not stopped.
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

gynta

Quote from: balloni55 on December 20, 2014, 19:48:47
In search dialog is an option  "Remove history", but unfurtunately there are no previous used search words visible/stored to use them again.
good point.
...and this option is visible only after first input.
should always be visible - if a history still exists.

QuoteNext point, i write a word to search for and "delete" it, but the search is not stopped.
can't reproduce - search stops after few seconds.

balloni55

Quotecan't reproduce - search stops after few seconds.
see video

and by the way
Merry Christmas
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

gynta

ah i see
but that's more "how it works" - not really a big problem.
slow device = slow reaction

balloni55

Quotebut that's more "how it works" - not really a big problem.
no its not a big problem ;)
but you do it in another way
i delete search term with "black arrow X" button
and you delete it with ???
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

jones12ax7

Hello people,

Is this possible to create my own POI .db file?

I have a huge  ( more than 20000) POI database that I have imported in Points from a GPX file but they're are slowing down Locus startup if I left it visible.

Thanks!

•  

Menion

Hello Jones,

there is currently no simple way to do this.
  •  

jones12ax7

Thanks for answering Menion,

I imagine the complexities involved, and so more troubles for developers to support it too.

One way I imagine would be to convert my POIs to OSM format and then use the same tool you use to create the .db ( I guess the .db from the store are from OSM data).

I understand that this may not be interesting to make this tool available, so it could prejudice the selling on the store, but if that's not the case, and there's no other problem, it would be nice to have access to the tool to make some experiments.

I'm planning to make some experiments with a KML loading POIs from my own server.

Thanks in advance
  •  

Menion

To be true, I was not yet thinking about publish or not this tool. Not for now as it will be mainly during June in process of rewrite due to some limits. We also have whole system as quite complex Java app that also generate vector maps, upload them on required places and update them in Locus Store. So all-in-one. No so easy to separate just one part ...
  •