Offline POI database

Started by Menion, July 22, 2013, 22:02:41

Menion

Georg, nice story, but did you tried this http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3267.0 ;)

We believe (me and Peter) to make this feature public till end of year. So I do not fully understand, why adding POI's over this UTF grid feature as we already have working solution.

Also UTF grid is possible, but quite breakneck solution from my point of view. It's mainly done to get metadata on certain place of tile, but not for search or any advanced operations as are possible in database.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

matmas

Quote from: gynta on September 07, 2014, 15:50:03
At your own risk..
Try to load this backup (only setting)
Be careful and backup your Locus first

Che sboro.....

Awesome
8)
Your trick worked perfectly

edit
Sorry for the enthusiasm I showed in my last post but I didn't know such a cool feature was almost completely developed.
Nice work!
These offline POIs are a great feature
  •  

gynta

Hi Menion

Last db are from August 2014.
Are you planning an update soon?
(i know it's beta)

Menion

we are even plan to publish this feature to next official Locus version together with new generated maps and also new databases. Not anyway 100% sure if our generator will be fast enough. We will see.
  •  

Christian

•  

ulmus

It is working fine! Great to have it, but... it is possible to edit coordinates of POI? In my neighbourhood i can see that some pois are not up-to-date and i wanted to change its position but i couldnt. Is there a plan to edit just like any other user points?
  •  

Menion

Glad to hear it ..

When you tap on any point from this database, there is a button "More on Openstreetmap.org". So tap on it and edit details of point directly on OSM server. When we will generate new maps, your changes will be included in new database. Other direct edit of these points is not possible and not planned.
  •  

Christian

How to get final poi.db working on latest version of Locus Pro?
I downloaded a *.osm.zip from the link in first post. Extracted to Locus/mapsVector/europe next to a map with the same name.
"Interessante Orte" is empty :(
Icon in right bar works but no db.
Testing feature does not existing...

How to solve this?
  •  

john_percy

I downloaded a fresh Locus map for England from the Locus Store, which also downloaded and installed the POI database for England. That worked fine.
The United Kingdom database that I downloaded earlier from the link in the first post works at the same time. I renamed it (slightly inaccurately in geographical terms) as Great Britain to match the name of a map I downloaded from OpenAndroMaps and it now gives POI icons overlaying the Great Britain map, with pop ups.
@menion: As far as I can tell, I can't get POI popups from the England POI database when using the Great Britain map. Is there any way to get updated POI files to match map areas obtained from third party sources, like OpenAndroMaps?
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,

I'm now not 100% sure ... we did some optimizations in database system of POI databases, so I do not know for sure, if old files (that are still placed on Google Drive and that I have to delete) are compatible with new Locus version 3.5.+. I'm worried that they don't or they will be slow because of some missing indexes over certain columns. Anyway as I wrote - I'm not 100% sure.

Generally system is really simple - poi database should have exactly same name as parent vector map. If such files exists (map + poi db), points will be visible as active on a map. If they will have different name, it should also work, but only in a separate screen where you may browse through data.

This is also an answer to John, right? So to make any database works with different map, they have to have same name, otherwise it won't work as these Db POI files are "attached" to same named map.

Everything clear? Feel free to ask if not.
  •  

Christian

So it seems files on Gpogle4Drive are old and will be not longer used.
Where to get new ones?
  •  

john_percy

Download the map from the Locus Store (in the app). That will download the poi database at the same time.
Quote from: john_percy on December 13, 2014, 11:49:32
I downloaded a fresh Locus map for England from the Locus Store, which also downloaded and installed the POI database for England. That worked fine.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Christian

Thanx John. It works :)
Poi.db is a great stuff! I look gorward to use it in the fields.

Another question: how can I disable displaying all the stuff from the poi.db? Even if the eye-symbol shows "0" all the icons are still on map. Or I'm wrong?
  •  

gynta

QuoteAnother question: how can I disable displaying all the stuff from the poi.db? Even if the eye-symbol shows "0" all the icons are still on map. Or I'm wrong?
Same problem here 8)
because i have to set my icon size to 120% on a trip - but I don't want to see hundreds of unwanted POIs if no(!) POI is selected and i don't want to see a popup on all unwanted POIs. Looks crazy in a big town  ::)

ulmus

Yea,  it is needed to turn off poi  at all, discussed on g+ too :-) The same, in certain zoom they're is nothing shown but pois:-)
  •